I just heard of KSP 2. Are they officially using Unity?

ronson49

2 hours ago, Cloakedwand72 said:

Does that mean I could run it Just fine on my current PC?

No clue.  It will depend on the system requirements of KSP2 (which are likely going to be different from KSP1) and your PC.

On 9/22/2019 at 7:16 PM, GoldForest said:

Optical Ram would be extremely hard. They would have to find a way to continuously keep the light signal alive. 

No, I don't think there will ever be optical Ram. At least none small enough to fit in a regular computer.

Optical Storage on the other hand, maybe. A laser would etch or burn parts of a crystal disk with a pattern. Then a reader laser would read the pattern. Only problem is the crystal disk once etched can't be etched again, as etching over the current pattern would leave 2 patterns in one place, and I don't think the laser could erase the previous pattern. So basically the harddrive would become read-only once its capacity was full. On the other hand, if the laser could erase the pattern, it might harm the crystal leaving minute damage that will accumulate over time leading to hard drive failure.

Anyway I feel regular transistor RAM will be used with optical hardware, which would slow it down a lot. Although, optical hardware might be fast enough that RAM might not be needed. The optical CPU might be able to send everything out fast enough without RAM, but that's just theory. If we really need Ram, CBT ram would probably be best as CBT looks to be faster than regular transistors. 

They could attach another medium per node to save data every so often. Even if it's slower. Maybe things to delay loss of light so it has time to save. Besides, if you had pure optical would you even need ram? Wouldn't you just need a CPU and an HDD? Any passing between devices would just cause delay wouldn't it? Am I mistaken or would you be better off with two hard drive. one for write and one for read. They could communitcate between each other and act like parodies. Raid 1. Then one sits at one end of the device and the other the other. CPU in middle to receive send in a synced up way. Assuming that simplified the device or speeds it up. If not they could be positioned wherever. I'm assuming you would have to keep track of mirror bounces and other things to time out potential speed. Or go with timed commands. Probably depending on how much of the potential speed you want to use.

I think some pretty fast optical and other stuff is being developed for other areas. I have no idea what scale it's on but it's pretty fast.

But you could use it like cache ram(multiple nodes powered simultaneously effectivelly) now, but used to run multiple process at the same time. Lots of parallelism. And if feasible, color shades could be used to enhance it. Or time it. I assume different colors move at different speeds. You could use color bit depth as one method to try to time out different functions. command and shade purple!! 8) Or use color depth for other functions like bit depth or something. Maybe send through a crystal to disperse in a different type of calculation if it's possible... How could that be used. You could get very complex crystals as CPU's. Hopefully for cheap for home PC users.

I wonder how bad optical pcs will be in regards to issue with vibrations and bumping. California and places with common vibrations may be out as server farms if it's too bad. I would hope they are small and very stable though.

Edited by Arugela