KSP performance really confuses me.....

I'm having this issue with the FPS on KSP and it's annoying. So i have around 60 mods installed. I have some of the graphics turned down alot.

The thing that confuses me is why when i have an unmanned craft/probe, KSP runs at a decent frame rate that i can be ok with. But when i do a manned craft like a Mun rocket or a Space Shuttle, the FPS sinks down to Kerbins core and is like 1-2 fps. I mean like...... why?? Do Kerbals suck up that much juice on my crappy Laptop? There was this instant that KSP ran fine while returning from the Mun with kerbals for a few minutes when i came out of time warp. Thinking i got lucky or something, i continued. As soon i got out of Mun's influence and back to Kerbin for re-entry. FPS dropped like rocks again.

I just don't get it...... what makes KSP run fine with probes but slow as heck with Kerbals??

( FYI, this is version 1.3.0, i'm staying with this version because there are alot of mods i love on here that are not compatible on later versions of the game. )

Edited by Alpha_Gametauri_2
Grammar error, correction made.

I have an idea: The mods!

If it's a localized kerbin issue, which is what i think is happening, it's a problem with kerbin itself.

If you can, list all the mods that affect kerbin. do you use Kerbinside, or maybe FAR?

Are there many, many debris that need to be cleaned up?

If it's only Kerbals that are the problem, then it's a mod that affects kerbals/IVA. Do you run IVA enhancement or something? A spacesuit/kerbal retexture tool?

There are many things that affect KSP, hence all the questions.

Just now, Concodroid said:

I have an idea: The mods!

If it's a localized kerbin issue, which is what i think is happening, it's a problem with kerbin itself.

If you can, list all the mods that affect kerbin. do you use Kerbinside, or maybe FAR?

Are there many, many debris that need to be cleaned up?

If it's only Kerbals that are the problem, then it's a mod that affects kerbals/IVA. Do you run IVA enhancement or something? A spacesuit/kerbal retexture tool?

There are many things that affect KSP, hence all the questions.

I don't use Kerbinside no, i have an issue with the bases not showing up so i don't have it on. Just Kerbal Constructs and KSCplusplus. That's the only Kerbin mods i have.

Not that i know, i can turn on the debris button in tracking station and you can see everything on the left window without scrolling. I only have a Space Shuttle and 2 interplanetary probes currently in game. I try to keep it in a way where as much of the debris as possible burns up in Kerbin on reentry to limit space junk.

I do use ASET and RPM, Aset replacements for the Mk. 1-2, Mk. 2, Mk.3, and all the Mk.1's. Other then that, i do not use anything else for IVA's or use a Kerbal retexture mod. Will my gamedata folder help?

2 minutes ago, Alpha_Gametauri_2 said:

I don't use Kerbinside no, i have an issue with the bases not showing up so i don't have it on. Just Kerbal Constructs and KSCplusplus. That's the only Kerbin mods i have.

Not that i know, i can turn on the debris button in tracking station and you can see everything on the left window without scrolling. I only have a Space Shuttle and 2 interplanetary probes currently in game. I try to keep it in a way where as much of the debris as possible burns up in Kerbin on reentry to limit space junk.

I do use ASET and RPM, Aset replacements for the Mk. 1-2, Mk. 2, Mk.3, and all the Mk.1's. Other then that, i do not use anything else for IVA's or use a Kerbal retexture mod. Will my gamedata folder help?

Remove Kerbal Konstructs , KSCplusplus, ASET, and RPM, but keep them safe in a seperate folder first (NOT in KSP at all).

Launch the game, and see what happens to you in a manned mission.

50 minutes ago, Alpha_Gametauri_2 said:

55 minutes ago, Concodroid said:

Remove Kerbal Konstructs , KSCplusplus, ASET, and RPM, but keep them safe in a seperate folder first (NOT in KSP at all).

Launch the game, and see what happens to you in a manned mission.

Got up to about 4-6 fps, improvement but unmanned is still a bit faster. 20 in game seconds is about 3-4 minutes IRL.

Just now, Alpha_Gametauri_2 said:

Including with KSP 1.3.0? I don't want to move on from it since the mods i love won't work on later versions.

Oh i didn't read that sorry

I think the issue might be your laptop my PC can run KSP 1.3.0 with a ton of mods and i don't have those kind of issues

Can you post some specs?

3 hours ago, Alpha_Gametauri_2 said:

It's a crappy A-double-S toshiba.

AMD A8-6410 with R5 integrated.

8gb ram (upgraded from 4 )

Could you record your game? DM me a dropbox link or something with a video showing you playing a manned and an unmanned probe.

(use OBS)

17 hours ago, Alpha_Gametauri_2 said:

Sorry it took so long and for crap vid. Took ages to upload and went to Football game.

No problem, understandable, and which one was it?

Aight, from what I can see, i don't think it's a problem with the GPU. Open up task manager while you're running it (or, for a longer but better method, become a Windows Insider using the app, and get the new Game bar, i'm not sure if it's been released yet. In-game, use windows key + g to open up the bar, and on the side, if you have the new game bar, it shows your percentages. While launching that shuttle, give me the percentages. Also, give me the percentages for when you're running an unmanned probe. 

(Percentages, as in percentage of GPU, CPU, and RAM used. If it's none of those, it's a slow hard drive. Really, really slow.)

It might be a problem with too many mods; but you run perfectly fine with an unmanned probe. 

On 9/16/2019 at 4:09 PM, Concodroid said:

No problem, understandable, and which one was it?

Aight, from what I can see, i don't think it's a problem with the GPU. Open up task manager while you're running it (or, for a longer but better method, become a Windows Insider using the app, and get the new Game bar, i'm not sure if it's been released yet. In-game, use windows key + g to open up the bar, and on the side, if you have the new game bar, it shows your percentages. While launching that shuttle, give me the percentages. Also, give me the percentages for when you're running an unmanned probe. 

(Percentages, as in percentage of GPU, CPU, and RAM used. If it's none of those, it's a slow hard drive. Really, really slow.)

It might be a problem with too many mods; but you run perfectly fine with an unmanned probe. 

Seahawks vs Steelers, i'm a Steelers fan.

Yeah, Disk is maxed out on KSP. Like 100 max, goes down to 95 at best.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.