[1.7.3] Remodeled Tech Tree (v.0.1.6)

RobertaME

It occurred to me yesterday that there is a flaw in my Mod. If one doesn't have the Making History DLC or the Grounded Mod, the game becomes unplayable in career because there's no way to do science at the start.

Speaking of DLC, since I haven't gotten either Breaking Ground OR Making History, it should be noted that neither of these are supported by this Mod. (that is, the parts are not relocated to their appropriate tech nodes... they still show up, but in nodes that may not make sense given the other parts there)

Since I don't have access to the DLC internal part names, I can't move them to their correct nodes to properly support them. I REALLY want to properly integrate the parts into this tree, but I just can't justify the expense of getting them at this moment. ::sigh::

I'm starting to think that the entire project just isn't going to work unless I make Grounded a Dependency and suggest that the DLC NOT be used with this Mod until I can properly integrate it. (either that or just pull the Mod entirely as unworkable until I have the time and money to do it right)

Thoughts welcome.

Edited by RobertaME

@RobertaME you can use NEEDS on individual values/nodes too. So you can just pick a few Science parts and set their ‘regular’ category to NEEDS[grounded] and add another category value below that with NEEDS[!grounded]. 

With regards to dlc internal names, I don’t think it’s against any Eula to share those so they should be ‘around’. 

13 hours ago, Jognt said:

@RobertaME you can use NEEDS on individual values/nodes too. So you can just pick a few Science parts and set their ‘regular’ category to NEEDS[grounded] and add another category value below that with NEEDS[!grounded]. 

With regards to dlc internal names, I don’t think it’s against any Eula to share those so they should be ‘around’. 

I know I can use NEEDS on values and nodes, but currently the only part that you have at start that can do science if you lack Grounded is the thermometer and Barometer. Given two possible Biomes to use them in (Launchpad and Runway) without a command pod (so no Kerbals... no Crew Reports... etc.) and no autonomous control at start, you can't actually DO any science without Grounded installed.

I've gotten SO used to it being there that I forget that it's not Stock! :blush:

As for the DLC internal names, they aren't in the Wiki (which is a shame as all the other Stock CFGs are there) and my internet searches didn't find anything... so if someone put them out there they did a good job of making it hard to find! (whether that was their intent or not... they succeeded!)

For the time being, I'm making Grounded a Dependency and recommending that DLC not be used to get around the issue. I may have the new version up soon. (depends on how much time I have available... my stepfather's funeral is today :( )

Edit: Updated to new Version. I highly recommend everyone use the current version as it fixes a few irritating bugs (not the least is the Recycled Parts issue having been fixed) as well as some streamlining for people that want to tweak the CFGs.

Edited by RobertaME
Update

• 2 weeks later...

New version is up which eliminates the dependency for Grounded.

v.0.1.6
- Implemented work-around for players without the Grounded Mod (only in effect if Grounded isn't installed)
    - Add a scaled-up Prototype QBE at 20x weight & EC usage, no SAS, and a 50km internal antenna range (with the type 1 tracking station) to Start
    - Add a Prototype Z-10 Battery with a tenth of the EC of the Z-100 with no other changes (same weight & size as the Z-100)
    - Both of these will be made obsolete once you get the Physics & Chemistry node
        (this is by intent; they're just stop-gaps to get your first science and then be replaced with smaller, lighter and more capable parts)
- Bugfix
    - Fixed issue with BonVoyage Module upgrades not moving to their correct new nodes
    - Several smaller fixes to eliminate minor errors (including spelling)

The new parts...

pUKzM76.jpg

A prototype 3-ton Rover (with TweakScaled prototype batteries) roams around KSC. (plus a little showing off of my custom KSC!)

6WkFBVX.jpg

Close-up showing the rover is only made of 9 parts... the 4 TR-2L wheels & 2 M-1x1 Structural Panels are stock... while the Prototype QBE and two Prototype Z-10 batteries (TweakScaled to maximum size and weighing 320kg each) are only present if you don't have the Grounded Mod installed.

Next update should have full integration of the Parts List into the Spreadsheet, making it possible for anyone to customize the Mod to their own tastes with much less work overhead.

Sorry this update took so long. My younger son's cat died so Mom duties took precedence. :(

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Well, THAT was the most interesting 9 months since my sons were born!

Sorry to everyone that I had to take a hiatus from KSP. Real Life issues that were compounded by all the craziness this year. I missed out on five updates and now have NO IDEA where my mod stands on compatibility. I've only just today DLed a copy of 1.10 and haven't had a chance to do much more than run it once to look at the pretty comets. (then close it to get laundry done) It'll be a bit before I get all the other mods updated, load them up over a few weeks, (load new mod, run game, stress test for breakage, close game, lather, rinse, repeat...) so it'll be a bit before I can update.

Still don't have either of the DLCs and now I'm even more broke than I was last year, so likely not going to happen. (maybe next year...)

Has anyone tried using RTT in any of the new versions? (or am I just talking to myself here?) I know 1.10 introduced some new parts, so they'll need balanced and moved to whatever node best fits their tech level and such.

Thanks to everyone who helped me get this project out of the mess it was in when I first launched it!

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds reasonable. I'm also coming back to KSP after a long time off. It looks like the tech tree mod I used to help out with is on hold and I haven't heard from the guy with spacedock access since before I left, so I don't know what's happening with that. Anyway, congratulations on becoming a parent, and I hope to see an update as soon as life isn't pressing you as hard!

On 8/5/2020 at 4:48 PM, theonegalen said:

Sounds reasonable. I'm also coming back to KSP after a long time off. It looks like the tech tree mod I used to help out with is on hold and I haven't heard from the guy with spacedock access since before I left, so I don't know what's happening with that. Anyway, congratulations on becoming a parent, and I hope to see an update as soon as life isn't pressing you as hard!

LMAO!

Sorry! Total misunderstanding there! What I meant was that the last nine months have been the most interesting nine months since the nine months prior to my two sons being born... which was 17 and 19 years ago, respectively.

Bless you though for thinking me young enough to be a first-time mother! :kiss:

Regarding development for this mod for 1.10, I don't know how long that will be as it requires a majority of the supported mods to make the 1.10 jump first. (most importantly, the few key mods that I consider indispensable for play) As for 1.91 or 1.81 compatibility, I'm not aware of any new parts in those versions, so it should be fully compatible. After all, this is nothing more than a set of Module Manager configuration files. It's possible some things broke if Squad or mod authors changed internal part names, but I doubt it. Potentially I could see some of the QOL configurations getting messed up, but I'd have to do a lot of testing to find out. (and quite honestly, I'm not interested in extending support for intermediate versions 1.8-1.91 since 1.10 will obsolete them soon anyway)

If anyone is having any trouble using this on 1.8 or 1.9, just let me know and I'll look into it! If it's working for you in those versions, please let me know so I can mark it as compatible on Spacedock. Thanks!

Edited by RobertaME

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.