Ten Parts Roket To Orbit And Back

ffx

Here's my entry.  All 1.25m parts as stipulated, and a total count of 8 parts.  Lower stage consists of decoupler, 2 fuel tanks and an engine.  Upper stage consists of capsule, parachute, fuel tank and engine.

Launch

10pt01.jpg

Circularising orbit

10pt02.jpg

Orbit established - showing Pe above 70km

10pt03.jpg

Re-entry phase

10pt04.jpg

Just before splashdown

10pt05.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Then put a decopuler under the "3 parts to multiple planets" and decouple it on launch. Now you have a 2-stage-to-orbit.

Making an SSTO is (supposed to be but really isn't all that) hard. Making one into a non-SSTO is trivial.

You use the decopuler in a normal way.

Then put a decopuler under the "3 parts to multiple planets" and decouple it on launch. Now you have a 2-stage-to-orbit.

Making an SSTO is (supposed to be but really isn't all that) hard. Making one into a non-SSTO is trivial.

That is useing the decopuler in a not normal way.

that is useing part bigger than the 1.25m part

I did the challenge in OP, orbit kerbin and return, but with 6 parts not 10.  I used the biggest SRB, a decoupler, a swivel (for elec generation and gimbal), mk1 command pod and small parachute (best aerodynamics I found for takeoff).  My initial orbit was a bit high but was able to land.  The main challenge was getting the ascent right with only reaction wheels in the command pod, but after a bunch of tries I got it, pretty much hold right.  For descent, I used the swivel to stay retrograde and also burn the engine so the parachute would activate.

Fun challenge using only the 1.25m parts.

@ffx: Good to see you back in this thread. I'd like to invite you to not just react to others discussing the rules of the challenge, but to also judge the submissions so far. There have been two by myself, one by Scarecrow and one by nelso that await your review. And I'm sure dnbattley could do a more detailed report of their attempts if you ask them.

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.