Is there a way to resize .DDS planet texture files and make them actually work?

nubcaker

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but I'd like to downscale the planet textures from the mod JNSQ from 8k down to 2k, for obvious performance reasons.
I assumed this would be as simple as resizing the .dds files in GIMP (using a DDS editor plugin), but when I use the resized .dds files in place of the original 8k .dds files, every planet texture in-game is broken. Completely black.
Am I overlooking something? Kinda at my wits end here.

Thank in advance.

12 minutes ago, GrandProtectorDark said:

Did you export them correctly

Probably not. Which compressions do I have to use? With BC3 / DXT5 I seem to be getting actual textures but the lighting is very wacky still.

Edited by nubcaker

Well, DXT 5 is correct for some of them.
"Dry" Colormaps (those without any transparent portions, aka those for planets that don't have oceans) use DXT1
"Wet" Colormaps use DXT5
Normal maps also need DXT5 (some places recommend DXT5nm but don't use it. there's some issues between that and how KSP applies planet textures)

Heightmaps don't need compression, but the [Format] box should have "L8" selected
Biome map don't need special compression or format.

Ok I think I'm getting closer and I'm learning a bit along the way. The textures and lighting look right after I used DXT5nm for the normal maps but now...

XnsvxDB.png

Kerbin is red... Where did I go wrong here?

Edit: Do I have to rescale the gradient .dds files as well? What compression would they export in?

Edited by nubcaker

45 minutes ago, nubcaker said:

Ok I think I'm getting closer and I'm learning a bit along the way. The textures and lighting look right after I used DXT5nm for the normal maps but now...

XnsvxDB.png

Kerbin is red... Where did I go wrong here?

Edit: Do I have to rescale the gradient .dds files as well? What compression would they export in?

By chance, did you accidentally set the normal map as the scaled space texture? 

35 minutes ago, Galileo said:

By chance, did you accidentally set the normal map as the scaled space texture? 

How would I have done that? Not sure what you mean, sorry. I rescaled the normal map and exported in DXT5nm to the same location.

edit: Wait I think I understand what you're saying, brb

Edit 2: I got it! Everything looks nominal. I accidentally exported Kerbin00.dds with DXT5nm compression, when it should've just been DXT5. I'm guessing this is what you meant?

Anyway looks like I'm set now. Thanks fellas.

Edited by nubcaker

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.