Sattelite contract?

I am trying to complete a Contract for placing a satellite in orbit but I'm having a problem. In the screenshot you can see my orbital info on the left (KER) and the contracts orbital requirements on the right. I believe I'm close enough on AP, PE and Inclination but I still don't show that I've achieved the required orbit. The only thing I can see is that my AP/PE and the contracts don't exactly line up. How would you go about "rotating" my AP/PE so they fall exactly where the contract wants them?

Also, I don't get a check mark for having a "materials bay". What, exactly, is a "materials bay" for contract purposes? I have nothing in the VAB parts called a "materials bay". What I do have on this satellite is a "service bay"...does that not apply here?

Satellit_01.jpg

The Materials Bay is the Science Jr. They don't call it that because... well no good reason really. :/

As to the orbit, hover over your An and Dn markers and make sure they don't say 180. If they do, you're going backwards. I'm also suspecting this is the case because the contract states the inclination is 180. If you launched "normally" (to the East) then you're for sure going backwards.

You likely don't have the dV to fix it, but you'll have to launch a new satellite with a Science Jr on it anyway.

Two things:

1. Check your vessel on the launch pad. Make sure everything is checked except the orbit to make sure you will complete the contract once the orbit is achieved.
  2. Orbit lines have motion on them, showing you what way you want to be going.
Edited by 5thHorseman

8 minutes ago, strider3 said:

I believe I'm close enough on AP, PE and Inclination

From what I'm seeing, your inclination is the problem.  The contract wants 180 degrees, KER is reporting 0.  So, basically, you're going backwards.  The contract is calling for a retrograde orbit, and you're heading prograde.

What's nice about sat contracts now is that the map view actually visually shows which direction you need to be travelling to complete it, so it's always best to check map view before you plan your missing.

You've run afoul of one of the most common difficulties with these contracts.
As Geonovast pointed out, you're going the wrong way.

The inclination reading of 180 degrees means that the orbit is equatorial, but the craft is moving in the opposite direction.

It takes a lot of dV to essentially stop a craft in its orbit and get it going in the opposite direction.  It's usually just easier to launch a whole new satellite in order to complete the contract.

And, as 5thHorseman says, the required part is the Science Jr., also necessitating a new craft.  The words 'materials bay' appear somewhere in the part description for the Science Jr, I think, and that's why the phrase got picked up.  One Two of the truly annoying bits in the contract system.

Happy landings!

14 hours ago, strider3 said:

Sheesh...I'm a maroon (for all you millenials, see Bugs Bunny, LOL). OK, back to the VAB then.

You don't need to go back to the VAB.  You can change your orbit relatively cheaply by boosting your apoapsis to nearly the edge of Kerbin's sphere of influence (about 80,000 km), burning to stop and reverse once you get there, and then lowering your apoapsis back to where it was before; inclination changes are least costly at the apoapsis (because you have the lowest velocity there), and the higher the apoapsis (with accompanying lower velocity), the more fuel savings--especially since a 180-degree difference is the biggest inclination change there is.  With the delta-V you have on your satellite, it should be no issue at all; the total cost of the burn will be about 500 m/s.  It'll take more time, of course, but it will work.

Also:  wabbit season!

Make a maneuver at your AP to burn retrograde until your inclination is 0 degrees (meaning you are orbiting the other way), see how much Dv it takes, maybe you don't have to relaunch. I learned this relatively recently since my older method was to burn antigrade and slooooowly change my inclination (which takes tons and tons of Dv)

On 9/18/2019 at 8:29 AM, Zhetaan said:

You don't need to go back to the VAB.  You can change your orbit relatively cheaply by boosting your apoapsis to nearly the edge of Kerbin's sphere of influence (about 80,000 km), burning to stop and reverse once you get there, and then lowering your apoapsis back to where it was before; inclination changes are least costly at the apoapsis (because you have the lowest velocity there), and the higher the apoapsis (with accompanying lower velocity), the more fuel savings--especially since a 180-degree difference is the biggest inclination change there is.  With the delta-V you have on your satellite, it should be no issue at all; the total cost of the burn will be about 500 m/s.  It'll take more time, of course, but it will work.

Also:  wabbit season!

Nice explanation my friend. Be wery, wery qwiet.

Edited by strider3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.