Likes disabled due to technical issue.

klesh

Brief aside, how was Vanamonde able to "like" your post, within the last 14 hours, when likes are somehow broken for everyone else?  Never in my entire internetting days have I ever seen something like forum likes break while the rest of the forum software works fine, lol.

38 minutes ago, klesh said:

Brief aside, how was Vanamonde able to "like" your post, within the last 14 hours, when likes are somehow broken for everyone else?  Never in my entire internetting days have I ever seen something like forum likes break while the rest of the forum software works fine, lol.

He was able to "like" the post because he's a moderator, and moderators have abilities that regular users do not, by design.  For example, we can post into threads even when they're locked.  For another, we have to be careful what we type, because the profanity filter ignores us.  ;)

We're really sorry that "likes" have had to be turned off for the forum at large.  We know it's a major inconvenience to the users, and we regret the necessity.  However, a technical issue-- which I can't go into details on, my apologies-- has made it necessary to do so until it gets sorted out.  It's being worked on and we'll have it turned back on just as soon as it's feasible to do so. In the meantime, thank you for your patience.

So they're not actually broken then, if they're able to be used only by those with special permission?

I really dont care. I'm far too old to put value on internet points; I was just curious.  Thanks for your reply though.

1 minute ago, klesh said:

So they're not actually broken then, if they're able to be used only by those with special permission?

Number of forum users:  ~200,000.

Number of moderators:  <20, plus we're NDA'd and can be fully engaged with details of technical problems.  So it's not the same.

There are technical issues, such that it's been necessary to disable them for the forums-at-large while it's being worked on.  I'm sorry, I know it's galling, especially in the absence of more detailed explanation.  I wish I could explain more to you about it, but I simply can't.  Until they've got it sorted, it's simply "technical issues, please stand by", and that's all I can say.  Thanks again for your patience.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Forum Reputation.

Don't make us go to war over this... ;)

I was wondering about that yesterday when I saw a new post about the broken like button had like 6 likes

45 minutes ago, The Dunatian said:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Forum Reputation.

Don't make us go to war over this... ;)

I love it.  Until the like button is fixed, here you go:  +1 :rep:

I thought maybe the forum was undergoing a Prison Architect type of game, and the governor called and said they're running an experiment on forum likes, and they had to disable them for a week or something.

I fully expect next week they'll be back and we'll have twice as many likes for a week. That's how it always works.

Unless it's like weights benches then no extras when they come back.

26 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

I thought maybe the forum was undergoing a Prison Architect type of game, and the governor called and said they're running an experiment on forum likes, and they had to disable them for a week or something.

I fully expect next week they'll be back and we'll have twice as many likes for a week. That's how it always works.

Unless it's like weights benches then no extras when they come back.

Believe what you want. This reputation stuff is funny. First you hate it, then you get used to it. After long enough, you get so you depend on it. That's "institutionalized."

Sorry folks. All we can say is that it's a technical issue, nobody's privacy or property is at risk, and likes will come back as soon as it's resolved. Also, some speculation has been removed from this thread and to avoid more of that, the thread will be closed now. We will let you know as soon as we know anything.