WWII BAD-T V: The AI Strikes Back - BD AI Dogfight Tournament

6 hours ago, aleksey444 said:

Hi, guys.

I have a pretty bad stuttering problem. It’s barely tolerable when I run 1v1 test matches, but it makes 2v2 testing practically impossible.

I’ve been testing against a craft that has it’s max altitude set very low, and I found a symptom which makes me suspect the issue is tied to the landing gear. I do have the MM patch to fix ALG stutter (in the BADTV_Tweaks.cfg).

What I observed is when a plane I am focused on descends below a certain altitude, the game becomes smooth as butter. And when the plane rises again, the game starts stuttering. I think this happens at 350 meters – smooth below, stuttering above.

Can anyone help me with this? I’ll gladly provide logs or do whatever tests you’d like to do.

Thanks.

Put a craft with ALG on the ground as a permanent station within your physics load range. If ANY ALG is below K-drive altitude stutter disappears.

Edited by Pds314

37 minutes ago, Pds314 said:

Put a craft with ALG on the ground as a permanent station within your physics load range. If ANY ALG is below K-drice altitude stutter disappears.

It worked!!!

Thank you so much.

EDIT: what is K-drice?

Edited by aleksey444

9 hours ago, Box of Stardust said:

The 23mm are much better investments than the SparkVAKs ShVAKs at least, for only 3 points more per installation. For lighter fighters, a better investment.

Although going along the lines of WT aircraft gun memes here, the MG151 sometimes feels like it hits with the level of WT's MG151 minengeschoß rounds, so those are also pretty decent. 

I agree.

With my limited testing I found the MG151, the 23mm Vya and the 30mm MK108 to be the best guns

The 20mm due to its generous overheating tolerance and the good damage.

The 23mm has significantly more damage for only 3 points and fires very fast but overheats quickly.

The 30mm basically one shots whatever fuselage part or control surface it hits but is often overkill and does not match well with other guns.

Thats why I put the a 20mm and 2x 23mm on my plane. I considered 3x 20mm but did not have the time to adjust my plane (with a bigger engine)

Edited by Alioth81

Brackets are now up.
While some of you have identified which craft are yours, lets put names to faces fuselages so you can know who you're up against.

On 10/21/2019 at 5:02 PM, SuicidalInsanity said:

Obligatory group photo:
N2tVr5w.png

From top to bottom, left to right:
S-13 Brighton, SAI K9 Krakenhound, PD-2 Honeybee
AVRO Defender, H-4 Widomaker, IA-42 Skaris, N-46
AL-25 Vulture, AFC-88 Thalo, AF-735 White Collar Criminal, Endre-Er-Sx-13-Hornet-III, FB-97B-5 Sea Fairy
TH-C, La-9 DPRK, Aero Imperial, Tallyhawk XXVIa

4 hours ago, aleksey444 said:

Hi, guys.

I have a pretty bad stuttering problem. It’s barely tolerable when I run 1v1 test matches, but it makes 2v2 testing practically impossible.

I’ve been testing against a craft that has it’s max altitude set very low, and I found a symptom which makes me suspect the issue is tied to the landing gear. I do have the MM patch to fix ALG stutter (in the BADTV_Tweaks.cfg).

What I observed is when a plane I am focused on descends below a certain altitude, the game becomes smooth as butter. And when the plane rises again, the game starts stuttering. I think this happens at 350 meters – smooth below, stuttering above.

Can anyone help me with this? I’ll gladly provide logs or do whatever tests you’d like to do.

Thanks.

Have you already submitted your craft? The deadline was two days ago.

3 hours ago, SuicidalInsanity said:

Presumably K drive, or Kraken Drive, in which wonky physics interactions are exploited to create a reactionless drive for vessel propulsion.

Yes. For who knows what reason, modern K-drives enter fast mode and ALG stutter enters cancer mode at the same local altitude, which seems to be consistently 150-300 meters above terrain. Possibly due to Planetary Quad Sphere weirdness????

Edited by Pds314

On 10/22/2019 at 2:02 AM, SuicidalInsanity said:

The only weapons that don't make an appearance are the 7mms and the artillery guns, which means I can be slightly amused but unsurprised that no one noticed (due to an error on my part in forgetting to revert it before uploading) the Bk 7.5 is currently a flak cannon.

@SuicidalInsanity

I considered using it and have a semi finished BF-109-Z where I planed to mount it when I saw it has air detonation. However it seemed shots detonate only after a certain minimum range 500m+ which was to big to be used effectively.

The guns cost are a bit high too and you are forced to go with weak engines.

I think between 50 - 400m it could have worked 

What version of BDAc Si edition of your repository are you using? I might want to build my own because I want to show the aiming sight and the aiming support also when the AI is engaged. At the moment You can show or hide it if you fly yourself but if the AI is engaged it does not show.

In addition I installed your beautiful target markers but I still have the original BDAc ones showing so I get them on top of each other. The brackets around the targets still seem to be the original ones an not the nice circles you made. Is there a way how to show one or the other?

@Pds314

Scared of the first  fight against the La-9 DPRK who is probably a very good turn fighter at low speed :o . I was hoping for a fast craft that does high speed turns.

Now it is up to the Kerbal Ace pilots to show how good the can deal with an opponent that probably has a plane and the skill to exploit the weakness of the Vulture.

Edited by Alioth81

1 hour ago, Alioth81 said:

@SuicidalInsanity

I considered using it and have a semi finished BF-109-Z where I planed to mount it when I saw it has air detonation. However it seemed shots detonate only after a certain minimum range 500m+ which was to big to be used effectively.

I think between 50 - 400m it could have worked 

What version of BDAc Si edition of your repository are you using? I might want to build my own because I want to show the aiming sight and the aiming support also when the AI is engaged. At the moment You can show or hide it if you fly yourself but if the AI is engaged it does not show.

In addition I installed your beautiful target markers but I still have the original BDAc ones showing so I get them on top of each other. The brackets around the targets still seem to be the original ones an not the nice circles you made. Is there a way how to show one or the other?

@Pds314

Scared of the first  fight against the La-9 DPRK who is probably a very good turn fighter at low speed :o . I was hoping for a fast craft that does high speed turns.

Now it is up to the Kerbal Ace pilots to show how good the can deal with an opponent that probably has a plane and the skill to exploit the weakness of the Vulture.

The question is, will my plane run out of energy. Whenever the AL-24 beat it, that was why. Your plane also looks like it has good aim, although not sure it has much high AOA capabilities unless it's deliberately unstable and corrects with AOA control on the canards so they don't stall. But that does not seem to be the case in your video, as the canards look to be turning ahead of the plane rather than trying to keep it within the envelope of controlled flight like the X-29.

Edited by Pds314

5 hours ago, Pds314 said:

The question is, will my plane run out of energy. Whenever the AL-24 beat it, that was why. Your plane also looks like it has good aim, although not sure it has much high AOA capabilities unless it's deliberately unstable and corrects with AOA control on the canards so they don't stall. But that does not seem to be the case in your video, as the canards look to be turning ahead of the plane rather than trying to keep it within the envelope of controlled flight like the X-29.

The canards are turning ahead. Basically I have redundant pitch control and they provide additional lift at low speeds and drag at high speed to bleed speed in turns to avoid GLOC. The max deflection is lower than the other control surfaces and they tolerate quite some AoA before they stall.

But you are correct the canards are the limiting factor in terms of AoA.

9 hours ago, Alioth81 said:

Hm. Now I'm tempted to do a bonus video after the tournament featuring a flak armed fighter.

I've uploaded the source for the BDAc S.I. patch here. You'll want line 1007 in ModuleWeapon.cs.
For the Team Icons, two things. First, I have yet to figure out how to do it via code, so default square icons need to be manually toggled off via F4. Second, due to how the icon graphics are referenced, double check your file structure is '/GameData/BDATeamIcons/Icons/'. If it isn't, they won't show up.

5 hours ago, SuicidalInsanity said:

Hm. Now I'm tempted to do a bonus video after the tournament featuring a flak armed fighter.

I've uploaded the source for the BDAc S.I. patch here. You'll want line 1007 in ModuleWeapon.cs.
For the Team Icons, two things. First, I have yet to figure out how to do it via code, so default square icons need to be manually toggled off via F4. Second, due to how the icon graphics are referenced, double check your file structure is '/GameData/BDATeamIcons/Icons/'. If it isn't, they won't show up.

Thanks that did the job. My folder was indeed named wrongly. Similar but still wrong.

By the way here is the unfinished fighter with Flak gun in action. (Does not conform to rules and is not really tuned).

The only thing I did was lowering the minimum arming distance to 50m (from 500) and suddenly its deadly :cool:

Edited by Alioth81

To round out the roster we'll be joined by Bot Julius, who is flying the Aero Imperial, a refitted and personalized IA-43 flying wing he found lying abandoned by the side of the road.
Bot Julius is also one of the contestants for the first match, and will be sharing the ring with @tetryds's N-46:

Spoiler

While uploading the match, I discovered I cannot perform basic math, in that the armament I threw on the Aero Imperial is 2 points over the limit (13+13+20+20+36=102) and thus is an illegal design. Still posting the match since I promised a fight, but I will be editing Bot Julius' armament down to a pair of 12 point Brownings in place of the MG131s and rerunning the match, and will upload a new video if the final score changes (or anything cool/interesting happens during the bouts).

9 hours ago, SuicidalInsanity said:

To round out the roster we'll be joined by Bot Julius, who is flying the Aero Imperial, a refitted and personalized IA-43 flying wing he found lying abandoned by the side of the road.
Bot Julius is also one of the contestants for the first match, and will be sharing the ring with @tetryds's N-46:

Hide contents

While uploading the match, I discovered I cannot perform basic math, in that the armament I threw on the Aero Imperial is 2 points over the limit (13+13+20+20+36=102) and thus is an illegal design. Still posting the match since I promised a fight, but I will be editing Bot Julius' armament down to a pair of 12 point Brownings in place of the MG131s and rerunning the match, and will upload a new video if the final score changes (or anything cool/interesting happens during the bouts).

9:34:

https://elgoog.im/doabarrelroll/?1000

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.