WWII BAD-T V: The AI Strikes Back - BD AI Dogfight Tournament

9 hours ago, OmegaForce said:

Honeybee had the turning advantage and accuracy needed to break down the Krakenhound mostly through loss of control surfaces.

Can't discount that deathblow at 1:42 though. Looks like the Honeybee hit straight through to the root wing spar.

Also from what I saw, it's less that the Krakenhound is inaccurate, and more that the guns are underpowered and it has trouble closing to kill range. If you look at 8:33, it makes a short run and scores some solid hits on the Honeybee's tail, then the other Krakenhound rams it.

Krakenhound however wont be forgotten with that savage death blow at the end making a final statement.

:D

Now that the semifinals are done, instead of moving on to the finals, first we'll be revisiting those who lost the first round - @tetryds N-46, @Hinden's H-4 Widomaker, @Jeb-head-mug kerman's Endre Er SX 13 Hornet III, @dundun92's Tallyhawk Mk XXIVa, @Box of Stardust's FB-97B-5 Sea Fairy, @Mr. Peabody's S13 Brighton, @OmegaForce's AFC-88 Thalo, and @Alioth81's AL-25 Vulture - with the start of the Second Tier Bracket. The G-Limiter will be disabled for the Second Tier, as many of the planes were defeated by gravity, rather than enemy fire. Since we have 8 new planes in a new tier, like last time, things will kick off with another Battle Royale:

Like before, this a for-fun, bonus battle, and has no effect on the standings. Craft performance in the Battle Royale may or may not be indicative of performance in the official bouts.

Edited by SuicidalInsanity

38 minutes ago, SuicidalInsanity said:

Now that the semifinals are done, instead of moving on to the finals, first we'll be revisiting those who lost the first round - @tetryds N-46, @Hinden's H-4 Widomaker, @Jeb-head-mug kerman's Endre Er SX 13 Hornet III, @dundun92's Tallyhawk Mk XXIVa, @Box of Stardust's FB-97B-5 Sea Fairy, @Mr. Peabody's S13 Brighton, @OmegaForce's AFC-88 Thalo, and @Alioth81's AL-25 Vulture - with the start of the Second Tier Bracket. The G-Limiter will be disabled for the Second Tier, as many of the planes were defeated by gravity, rather than enemy fire. Since we have 8 new planes in a new tier, like last time, things will kick off with another Battle Royale:

Like before, this a for-fun, bonus battle, and has no effect on the standings. Craft performance in the Battle Royale may or may not be indicative of performance in the official bouts.

Wow there were some pretty impressive long range snipes.

12 hours ago, SuicidalInsanity said:

Tier 2, Match 4, between @Jeb-head-mug kerman's Hornet III and @Mr. Peabody's S13 Brighton:

I daresay my aircraft posted the most dismal round of the competition and looked the best while doing so. :sticktongue:

Congratulations to the winners and good luck. :)

Edited by Mr. Peabody

19 hours ago, SuicidalInsanity said:

Tier 2, Match 4, between @Jeb-head-mug kerman's Hornet III and @Mr. Peabody's S13 Brighton:

Wait, what? I think I won with my terrible aircraft!:D I was soooo not expecting that to happen! Even so, this was probably one of the most fair and balanced matches of the tournament. Well, this has made my day! I dare say it is because of my higher speed, even though the Brighton is probably more manouverable 

Edited by Jeb-head-mug kerman

The Hornet's a decent plane, but it does suffer from lack of Yaw authority (no rudders) and twin ShVAKs is a rather light armament, especially for a twin engine heavy fighter.
It's the beginning of the end - the Bronze Match for Third place in the Second Tier bracket; Tier 2 Match 7 - between @dundun92's Tallyhawk and @Jeb-head-mug kerman's Hornet:

On 12/9/2019 at 1:20 PM, SuicidalInsanity said:

The Hornet's a decent plane, but it does suffer from lack of Yaw authority (no rudders)

All right, point taken! Next time  I will have a rudder and a more manoeuvrable airframe. So I just wanted to ask if having pitch control only by using the elevator instead of elevons would be a good idea? Would this make the plane more manoeuvrable in the pitch? Considering that most WWII era aircraft had this it would make sense, but on the other hand, they probably just didn't have the technology needed to make elevons. I will do some experimenting, and if the rules for the (hopefully) next BAD-T are the same I will start working on a light fighter design.

20 minutes ago, splatn't™ said:

So, after this, will we have another 1946 competition or a 1950s-1960s or just a good ol' waiting period for us to enjoy? or maybe a WWI comp that'd be neat

A WWI competition would be neat to see (and has been something that people have been wondering about since BAD-T III), but I don't think I'd host it, at least in the immediate future; the DJA 1946 competition and this were more or less run back to back, and when BAD T V finishes up I want to take a break for a bit.
That said, I have been quietly putting together the stuff needed for a WWI contest - weapons & engines pack, a modded BDAc for things like syncro-gears and magazine fed weapons, MM part mass tweaks - that I can make available if someone else wants to host a WWI contest. Ruleset is still up in the air, though, mainly from not knowing how to price things in a balanced manner, so that would still need to be figured out.

Time for the Final match of the second tier, between @OmegaForce's Thalo and @Alioth81's Vulture:

54 minutes ago, SuicidalInsanity said:

That said, I have been quietly putting together the stuff needed for a WWI contest - weapons & engines pack, a modded BDAc for things like syncro-gears and magazine fed weapons, MM part mass tweaks - that I can make available if someone else wants to host a WWI contest. Ruleset is still up in the air, though, mainly from not knowing how to price things in a balanced manner, so that would still need to be figured out.

:cool:

On 12/10/2019 at 7:04 PM, SuicidalInsanity said:

For those of you interested, here's the WWI pack. Everything should be good to go, though it's possible I missed something in my testing. A tentative pricing list is included for the guns and engines, but as I stated earlier, ruleset is still TBD - main issue is probably turrets, but I think I got them to a point where they can be freely used alongside fixed weapons without the usual problem in BDA contests where turret craft instantly murderize their opponents.
i should have the at least the Tier 1 semifinal up by tomorrow.

On 12/10/2019 at 7:04 PM, SuicidalInsanity said:

Congratulations to @Alioth81. I figured the Vulture was going to get the win it's more maneuverable over all and the Thalo is too fragile to take more then a few hits.

On 12/14/2019 at 10:24 PM, SuicidalInsanity said:

For those of you interested, here's the WWI pack. Everything should be good to go, though it's possible I missed something in my testing. A tentative pricing list is included for the guns and engines, but as I stated earlier, ruleset is still TBD - main issue is probably turrets, but I think I got them to a point where they can be freely used alongside fixed weapons without the usual problem in BDA contests where turret craft instantly murderize their opponents.
i should have the at least the Tier 1 semifinal up by tomorrow.

Much time and effort must have gone into this. Very enthused to try out some biplanes with these parts. &)

Match 16 - Tier 1 Bronze match for third place between Bot Julius' AeroImperial and @sturmhauke's Krakenhound. Both craft have proven themselves thus far; the AeroImperial overcoming its limited ammo with accurate fire and the smaller target profile of a flying wing, and the Krakenhound simply being able to ignore damage that would cripple lesser craft. Which will win?
Was honestly not expecting the bot to make it this far.

Spoiler
On 11/13/2019 at 9:05 PM, SuicidalInsanity said:

SAI K9 Krakenhound, an absolute zombie of an aircraft that just will not die.

Spoiler

"Remove the head or destroy the brain"
Three cockpit destructions in this match. I think that might be more than the rest of the contest put together.

Well fought, Krakenhound.

Edited by SuicidalInsanity

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.