WWII BAD-T V: The AI Strikes Back - BD AI Dogfight Tournament

1 hour ago, Jeb-head-mug kerman said:

Finally got the plane ready!

My entry the ENDRE ER SX 13 'Hornet'

It is in the Heavy fighter class, and should be quiet manouverable, and is also very stable. It is also quite fast, capable of doing 234 m/s in level flight!

It is armed with 2 Hispana's and 2 more 20mm guns (of the name of which I can't remember:).  I based the design of the Mosquito bomber.

The poor Dummy tried its best but it was not fast or manouverable enough!

Here it is!https://kerbalx.com/JebHeadMugKerman/Endre-Er-Sx-13-Hornet-II

http://uJpHJj6.png

http://Do4QD0L.png

http://QhxeGDA.png

fighting the dummy

I am quite happy with it, considering this is the first successful craft I have made in FAR.

Remember to submit it to SuicidalInsanity

On 10/18/2019 at 8:31 PM, dundun92 said:

"Several Marks Later"

i7h1HX8.jpg

Currently it just about out performs anything i can throw at it in terms of speed acceleration and climb rate, and it has quite good maneuverability. AI aiming is a bit off and needs some tweaking before submission.

Curious about its roll performance with those wide wings.

Hi, everybody.

I've been working on a plane as well.  Hopefully it'll be done in the next 12 hours or so.

Question to @SuicidalInsanity:

I'm also trying to come up with a nice paint job, but it's hard.  I'm using the B44-S Falcon, and I really do not want yet another orange airplane.

Back in BAD-T III, we could use a mod called DCK to change color of the engine (and other) parts.  DCK also had armor plates, but those would obviously be illegal.

Could I use DCK to change the engine color? 

7 hours ago, Sidestrafe2462 said:

oh dear, what are the rules for this?

2 hour build time

Rules in the OP.
Closer to 22 - entries will be collected Monday morning - but still not much.

13 minutes ago, aleksey444 said:

I'm also trying to come up with a nice paint job, but it's hard.

Could I use DCK to change the engine color? 

Coming up with a spiffy paint job/livery is hard. Main issue with DCK is I don't have it, and last time I checked, the download had been taken down.

26 minutes ago, SuicidalInsanity said:

Coming up with a spiffy paint job/livery is hard. Main issue with DCK is I don't have it, and last time I checked, the download had been taken down.

@DoctorDavinci has a new version of DCK at https://github.com/DoctorDavinci/DCK-Future-Tech, but unfortunately it seems to be all about armour and stealth -- not anything we want for this competition.  However, I have not tried it, so I do not know if it can do just colors by themselves.

I still have my old KSP 1.3.0 install for BAD-T III.  I zipped up the old DCK version we used then.  It's at https://gofile.io/?c=1dJsYR.

41 minutes ago, SuicidalInsanity said:

@SuicidalInsanity I can fix that for you if you want ... if you would like me to revive the code all you have to do is ask

8 minutes ago, aleksey444 said:

@DoctorDavinci has a new version of DCK at https://github.com/DoctorDavinci/DCK-Future-Tech, but unfortunately it seems to be all about armour and stealth -- not anything we want for this competition.

DCK FutureTech is not DCK ... FutreTech has active camouflage, nano tech to repair your craft hit points and a Hammer of Dawn orbital tracking and targeting laser for destroying landed vessels from orbit as well as energy shields 

Whereas DCK is basically a modified firespitter texture switching deal with a bunch of qol stuff (menu, 30 something textures and wheel rims)

Edited by DoctorDavinci

I wanted more proper replica-ish in my plane, so I took a look at my plane and tried to match up various characteristics to real examples.

6VTDaMo.png

Thought the wing on my initial design was good, but sloppy and could use a bit more work in the aesthetics department. The elevator/tail configuration was of the rudder-between elevators type, unlike a 190-Dora, and I didn't want to change up the aero too much. So I turned the plane into a Sea Fury. The "little bubble canopy on top of big body" look seems to fit it anyways.

Now to come up with a good name...

Also, is Airplane Plus okay? Kinda want a smaller tailwheel.

Edited by Box of Stardust

I'm still not entirely sure what qualifies as a constructed cockpit. Can we clip the command seat inside a fuselage and add a "canopy"? or does there need to be actual space? I'm hoping the plane I already made is actually legal. 

30 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

if you would like me to revive the code all you have to do is ask

Very well. Could you put together a KSP 1.7.3 version of DCK for use in BAD-T V, ideally within the next few days?

Just now, Dwerto said:

Can we clip the command seat inside a fuselage and add a "canopy"?

If you want to hollow out a space you can, but simply clipping a chair into a fuselage and adding a canopy part over that is fine.

Ok, done tweaking this craft and present my entry, hope I am not too late.

The H-4 Widomaker.

Slap huge engines on some stubby high lift wings (how does this even work?) and you got a death trap that is too fast/instable and kills the pilot on the first turn, due to blackout.
Top Speed: ~240 m/s
Dry weight: 5.383t
Wingspan: 16.7m
Length: 10m
Parts: 40
Armament: 3x ShVAK 20mm Cannon
xGB673Q.jpg

PS.: Could not shoot down Alioth81's advanced training dummy, so I do not have high hopes for it placing high on the ladder.

Edited by Hinden

57 minutes ago, Jeb-head-mug kerman said:

Is sending a message to SuicidalInsanity count as a PM? 

I can see you're not an old hand. :wink: "PM" is an early gamer abbreviation that has somewhat fallen from popularity in most recent games. It stands for "private message."

In answer to your question, sending a message to @SuicidalInsanity is the same as sending a "PM."

11 minutes ago, aleksey444 said:

Question for @DoctorDavinci:

I installed DCK .0.4.1.0.  It seems to conflict with textures supplied by procedural parts, even when the "Current:" texture is set to "Stock".  It looks ok in the editor, but comes out all white after launch.  Any way to fix this?

Thanks.

I'm not fixing anything in DCK at this time ... my attention is taken up by OrX Kontinuum at the moment and DCK will remain on the back burner until I'm done with the loot box controversy and the challenge creator/geocache deal in OrX Kontinuum

Spoiler

EDIT: as a side note please direct all issues with DCK to my github issues link found in the DCK thread

Support questions for DCK should not be posted here, please post in the DCK thread (there's a reason I asked for it to be unlocked :wink:)

Edited by DoctorDavinci

Craft finished. Sending PM with craft file and craft metadata (if @SuicidalInsanity needs it)

51 minutes ago, Hinden said:

Slap huge engines on some stubby high lift wings (how does this even work?) and you got a death trap that is too fast/instable and kills the pilot on the first turn, due to blackout.

I love the blatant honesty here. I'll bet you're just getting our guard down by talking anti-smack and SURPRISE It's a killing machine, eh?

7 hours ago, GDJ said:

I love the blatant honesty here. I'll bet you're just getting our guard down by talking anti-smack and SURPRISE It's a killing machine, eh?

Well, it can pull 30g turns at top speed without disintegration. And sadly about 18-24g turns arround combat speed. The only solution I could come up with, is that I limited control to 0.3 above 160 m/s, pilots black out less often now, but one black out could bring them to the ground, so it is a death trap.

1 hour ago, Hinden said:

Well, it can pull 30g turns at top speed without disintegration. And sadly about 18-24g turns arround combat speed. The only solution I could come up with, is that I limited control to 0.3 above 160 m/s, pilots black out less often now, but one black out could bring them to the ground, so it is a death trap.

Kinda surprised that it can turn so hard but yet couldn't kill Alioth81's trainer. Considering that if the trainer gets something on its tail, it's just kinda screwed most of the time.

Edited by Pds314

1 hour ago, Pds314 said:

Kinda surprised that it can turn so hard but yet couldn't kill Alioth81's trainer. Considering that if the trainer gets something on its tail, it's just kinda screwed most of the time.

It could be related to the fact that if you limit steering at higher speeds it will extrapolate further if you are above max speed. E.g. in a dive. So it could be that it only has 0.1 input left and crashes. Also if it is under fire it will do a bit of rolling and sometimes forgets to pull up.

Maybe the adjusted steer limiter should not go below that limit?

Although the trainer is not very agile at low speeds it can pull a lot of Gs at high speeds (and bleeds the speed quickly).

Therefore if a fast plane with good energy retention follows it can get GLOC very quickly.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.