Rings....

Update: To keep moderators light labored (because we love them), please stay on topic with discussing rings and not light speed. Also I am not asking Star Theory but past programmers from other games of how you can generate objects like that. Thank you for discussing with me.

How will rings work. From what I heard mini objects in the ring area, but does that mean the rings will switch from a display to mini rocks? Theories welcomed.

Edited by Guest

56 minutes ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

How will rings work. From what I heard mini objects in the ring area, but does that mean the rings will switch from a display to mini rocks? Theories welcomed.

I believe it was confirmed that the rings will have solid rocks floating around inside them. 

I suppose it will work like any other object, the closer you get to the rings, the more rocks appear. 

8 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

How hard would it be to mod those rocks with collision mesh?

On the other hand, I want to see a rock drifting through my ship.

Ground scatter will have collision meshes. I'd be surprised if ring scatter doesn't.

If you're going at lightspeed though you'll flash through pretty much the entire solar system between physics frames, you'd be incredibly unlucky to hit a ring.

No, it won't, because you won't be in orbit if you're at lightspeed. If you are, you'd flash through the rings even if you take them edge on. That's how fast lightspeed is.

4 hours ago, Xd the great said:

Ture, but I figured a retrograde orbit relative to the ring will be good enough.

If I remember correctly, Lightspeed is 186,000 Miles per second. On a typical rig, that would give you (maybe) 2 Positional updates inside the ring before you moved beyond it. So yeah, unfortunately it wouldn't work, (Unless you got REALLY lucky)  or,  they used a trajectory calculation to see if you actually passed through something between frames.

Edited by Talavar

41 minutes ago, Talavar said:

Quit busting ma Ballz Linux. lol

Huh, think that's bustin'.

It's exactly 299,792,458m/s by definition (in that with the definition of the second it defines the metre).

3 hours ago, Talavar said:

If I remember correctly, Lightspeed is 186,000 Miles per second. On a typical rig, that would give you (maybe) 2 Positional updates inside the ring before you moved beyond it. So yeah, unfortunately it wouldn't work, (Unless you got REALLY lucky)  or,  they used a trajectory calculation to see if you actually passed through something between frames.

I don't need lightspeed then, just a retrograde orbit. Colliding at 11km/s is quite good enough.

1 hour ago, Xd the great said:

I don't need lightspeed then, just a retrograde orbit. Colliding at 11km/s is quite good enough.

11 km/s with 30 updates per second (is that even typical?) means you travel 366* meters every tick. If your ship is 10 meters wide, that means you only occupy about 3 percent of the space you travel through. Now if you orbit long enough (or the ring particles are thickly distributed enough) you'll eventually hit something, but it may take a while and you'll pass through about 97% of the ones you "should" hit.

*366 2/3 actually. Just to keep lgg from correcting me ;)

Edited by 5thHorseman

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

11 km/s with 30 updates per second (is that even typical?) means you travel 366* meters every tick. If your ship is 10 meters wide, that means you only occupy about 3 percent of the space you travel through. Now if you orbit long enough (or the ring particles are thickly distributed enough) you'll eventually hit something, but it may take a while and you'll pass through about 97% of the ones you "should" hit.

*366 2/3 actually. Just to keep lgg from correcting me ;)

Good enough. But my ships can be loooong, much longer than 10 meters. 

Plus, both passing through the ship AND collisions eventually.

Wow I started a discussion didn't I 

23 hours ago, GoldForest said:

I believe it was confirmed that the rings will have solid rocks floating around inside them. 

I suppose it will work like any other object, the closer you get to the rings, the more rocks appear. 

My main question was How will it switch to displaying rings to rocks

18 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Unless they specifically code for it, you'll pass right through without ever touching them.

I see but I want to get programmers with past experience to explain possibilities. 

42 minutes ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

My main question was How will it switch to displaying rings to rocks

My guess is it will use a level of detail system to switch from a texture to a zone of generated scatter as you get closer. It might have a particle effect between the two to make the transition less jarring. There’s no way they’ll have every rock existing as an in-game object, that would take way too much resources.

Just now, Brikoleur said:

My guess is it will use a level of detail system to switch from a texture to a zone of generated scatter as you get closer. It might have a particle effect between the two to make the transition less jarring. There’s no way they’ll have every rock existing as an in-game object, that would take way too much resources.

I thought maybe it can start spreading out in one section the closer you got. But i'll take it.