DAKAR 2020 concept open for suggestions

Triop

Oh boy oh boy, another Dakar race :D.

Feel like taking things to the next level this time with something a little more ridiculous since their doesn't seem to be a need to airlift things to the starting point this time.

mpf34sf.png

For an 18 (actually 36 plus a few landing-gears) wheel mobile HQ it's quite capable. Still needs a few tweaks tough.

Racing in this one will be a little more slow and steady. I drove at around 25-30m/s during that test drive (had the thrust at maby 5%), but i think i can propably drive a bit faster without things exploding.

The idea was to really only use the jet-engines to help it climb hills, turns out i may have over done it. With a couple more engines i would have reached the very top of that mountain...

J7zR1V6.png

...i tried to get up by angling myself a little better...turn's out it wasn't such a good idea when your on a 50 or something degree slope.

jvJ0gRt.png

I don't know what it is about me and wanting to do these Dakar races at night, but here we are again, driving up a mountain in a huge truck in the dead of night...not something you see or hear everyday.

On 11/5/2019 at 5:44 PM, kapteenipirk said:

Oh boy oh boy, another Dakar race :D.

I missed your post, sorry, didn't get a notification.

Nice 18+ wheeler, I'd love to see that in action on a video.

It's still on, only 2 more stages for me to complete before the route is set.

01/01/2020

I'm working on the rules, suggestions are still welcome. ^_^

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rules:

*You will need to use the Races! mod, a simple download file and instructions will be given by me later.

HARDCORE MODE:

- Only stock cars, no stacking parts like wheels or batteries.

- Finish all stages with the same car, you can rest after each stage, but not change anything to your car, refueling can be done, just don't replace the car.

- One chance only, if you crash and break your car during any stage, start over at stage 1.

- Record your times with a screenshot.

HARD MODE:

- Only stock cars, no stacking parts like wheels or batteries.

- Finish all stages, you can rest after each stage, and change anything to your car.

- One chance only, if you crash and break your car during any stage, start over at stage 1.

NORMAL MODE:

- Modified cars, clip, stack, prebuild parts, use mods, anything goes.

- Finish all stages with the same car, you can rest after each stage, but not change anything to your car.

EASY MODE:

- Modified cars, clip, stack, prebuild parts, use mods, anything goes.

- You can rest after each stage, and change anything to your car.

- one chance only, if you crash and break your car, start over at stage 1.

LAZY MODE:

-Go sandbox

- Have fun and share your experience on the forum.

Edited by Triop

@Triop, could you please clarify on the no stacking parts rule for hard mode? Why do consider a wheel to be a stacking part and why is the car not allowed to have any? :D Joke aside, do you mean by stacking parts the parts that are clipped 100% into each other? I see nothing wrong with a stack of batteries that are connected normally with each other without clipping or offsetting.

Edited by EveMaster

21 hours ago, EveMaster said:

do you mean by stacking parts the parts that are clipped 100% into each other?

Yes, like some people clip 2 wheels or engines into 1, or put 100 wings inside a jet... :lol:

Just try to keep it as realistic as you can, clipping for aesthetics is ok.

On 11/7/2019 at 12:13 PM, Triop said:

I missed your post, sorry, didn't get a notification.

Nice 18+ wheeler, I'd love to see that in action on a video.

Thanks :). I'll definitely take some footage during the actual race.

Oh, and it's 18 wheeler no more. Decided to make it even more ridiculous with the addition of a 4-axle fuel-trailer. To be honest, i actually have a feeling i will need that extra fuel.

zeAr2G7.png

17 minutes ago, kapteenipirk said:

Oh, and it's 18 wheeler no more. Decided to make it even more ridiculous with the addition of a 4-axle fuel-trailer. To be honest, i actually have a feeling i will need that extra fuel.

zeAr2G7.png

THAT'S INSANE ! :o

I love the Dakar startnumber decal, I have to make one myself. :cool:

Can't wait to see it in action.

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/8/2019 at 3:41 PM, kapteenipirk said:

zeAr2G7.png

Starting to look like a Hype Train.  Someone tell @GregroxMun :)

Well.....looks like i won't be joining the race with the mobile HQ, as the thing just got totally corrupted...basically to a point where all i get is an empty hangar and an error message when i try to open it.

Let's just say that one of the bit's i tried to remove from it bugged out in a very interesting way.

Instead of giving up, i went and...ehm...borrowed a little something from the local armor museum.

sN75Kz0.png

Installing of a radio and a laptop and some decals later, should do the job.

Still need to build the sd.ah.116 tank transporter trailer to go with it. Dunno what to carry with it yet.

@kapteenipirk That is so cool, I love how you did the canvas and the scoops on the hoods side.

20 days left for me to set up the route, I might change the location to the Dessert.

That just seems more logical for the Dakar.

I'm thinking about doing 2 versions, 1 with the Races! mod and 1 with flags (savegame).

Kerbal Dakar starts 01/01/2020. . . :cool:

Edited by Triop

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2019 at 12:56 AM, Triop said:

@kapteenipirk That is so cool, I love how you did the canvas and the scoops on the hoods side.

Thanks :). Yea, i think the "canvas" turned out pretty well.

So, i built the Sd.Ah 116 trailer for the Famo and took it out on a test drive...turns out it made the damn thing near undriveable.

Basically the thing kept veering to left or right all the time (became worse the faster i drove), so that's out the window.

The Famo on it's own really doesn't make it for me, so...

MJGAgGP.png

It's back baby.

Tought it would be worth to bring it back since i liked it so much, and since most of it is already built in form of the crane-truck whose chassis i used to make this. Plus, it wouldn't take as long to build anyways since i can basically just do what i did on the previous one.

Decided i should complete the chassis of the vehicle before i start working on the bodywork, as this time the trailer is so big that i was afraid driveability on this one too would be absolutely horrible.

Turns out it's quite the opposite. Thanks to all those wheels, the acceleration is really nice and stopping distance is pretty nice and short (didn't edit the brakes at all), and maneuverability is to a level that it can easily navigate the tight bends and narrow roads of the R&D center.

My plan is to make the truck have the power-station and comms center part of the mobile HQ, while the trailer is dedicated to fuel, engines and storage.

KTT-61100 "Rex"

AqMAbIW.png

Desided to swap from military livery to Nasa livery.

This new monster has been designed to act as a mobile mission-control-center and rocket refuel/repair vehicle.

yhOtsTr.png

The truck has the airlock module, mission-control center and the small power-plant.

The airlock doors come with keypads, retinal scanners and a couple remote-control cameras/50.cal turrets to make sure security is air-tight. Two more turrets can be found on the fuel-trailer.

To give a little more leg-room for the operators, the sides of the mission-control-center extend. Air-conditioning, coffee-machine and snacks are included.

npR6vrt.png

While the trailer has a storage that can carry 7 cargo crates, and 2 large fuel-tanks that should carry enough fuel to fully refuel a medium sized rocket.

The cargo-module comes with a crane...that SOMEBODY forgot to secure...

There are plenty of other small details we could mention, but we haven't had our coffee yet...so maby later.

Putting the engines in the rear is a bit of a risk, but i really hated the roof-mounted engines of the previous one, so i feel it's worth it.

Also, the sheer amount of parts on this thing is causing a bit too much lag, but i really wanted to give the thing as much detail and life as i could. I think the part-count is around 800-900.

I can say for sure it'll be very interesting racing with this thing...and very slow as i'll be surprised if can get myself to drive this thing faster than 30 m/s.

What makes it especially interesting, is that i won't really have any time for practice since ill be leaving in Sunday to spend Christmas and new-year with my parent's.

I'm back, my PC broke down, but I've got it "working" again...Half, it still spontaneously shut's down, due to a corrupt hard drive, but it's workable.

I'm going to start working on the Dakar 2020 for Kerbal gearheads.

I'm moving it to the Dessert... :ph34r:

Kerbal Dakar starts 01/01/2020 ! :cool:

I'm ready preparing the route, the flag version is completed.

I will do a Races mod version too for precision timing.

You guys like it ? Let me know.

VN2dzIG.png

ScVaiE2.png

Lot's of navigation is needed in this Dakar, a straight line is NOT the way to go ! :wink:

I'll release more info soon™

Edited by Triop

25 minutes ago, Triop said:

VN2dzIG.png

ScVaiE2.png

Lot's of navigation is needed in this Dakar, a straight line is NOT the way to go ! :wink:

I'd be interested in getting my hands on the coordinates as I've got the Dakar Racing challenge type working in OrX Kontinuum as well as the scoreboard working fantastically

Gates spawn when within 1500 meters, distance to next stage gate is shown in custom menu, targeting reticle shows on screen telling you where the next stage gate is, airtime is also recorded to the scoreboard so you can tell if someone decided to fly the challenge instead of driving it, times for each stage are saved and also the mods the challenger has installed are recorded as well as whether the challenger had any cheats enabled (infinite fuel, unbreakable joints, no crash damage etc...)

Scores can be exported to be shared and imported into another persons game as well as the ability to export the complete scoreboard as a file to be shared (you can only do this if you have the password ... only the creator of the challenge will know that) so a player can update their ingame scoreboard to the 'official' one being maintained by the challenge creator

Works within 150km (haven't tested at a further distance)

Spoiler

EYQ4iNB.png

yND8m58.png

Edited by DoctorDavinci

12 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

I'd be interested in getting my hands on the coordinates as I've got the Dakar Racing challenge type working in OrX Kontinuum as well as the scoreboard working fantastically

No problem, the route is not a secret, here is the save file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/or3r8oqi9ga7bzi/persistent.sfs?dl=0

You will find all flags in there for the coordinates.

I can host your mod on the Dakar challenge as a extra option.

But I'd like to see other people coming up with rally's, so I can just drive and not host... :wink:

Just now, Triop said:

No problem, the route is not a secret, here is the save file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/or3r8oqi9ga7bzi/persistent.sfs?dl=0

You will find all flags in there for the coordinates.

I can host your mod on the Dakar challenge as a extra option.

Fantastic ... I just updated my post with a spoiler that shows what the scoreboard looks like

Just now, Triop said:

But I'd like to see other people coming up with rally's, so I can just drive and not host... :wink:

I'm sure there will be many to come

@Triop you said to keep you posted :cool:

I also set up a way to tune your vehicles in the flight scene and save them as a variant ... after tuning and saving your tuned craft, revert back to the editor and the variant will be available to be loaded ... After loading the variant (it will be saved as the craft name with 'Variant' plus whatever variant number ... you can save multiple variants with different tunings) it will load half in the floor of the SPH and with a weird rotation, you will need to hold down the 'SHIFT' button and left click on the craft to pick up the whole craft and have it's rotation reset

You will also have to remove any kerbals that are in seats and delete them (yes, the variant saving saves kerbals in command chairs) ... they are parts so click on them like you would to remove a part and press 'DELETE' ... BE AWARE that having a kerbal loaded in the editor will spam your KSP.log with expression system errors and others so it is best to delete them immediately (the errors will not affect the game much while in the editor ... just a bit of lag from the log being written to) plus you're asking for massive errors if you try to launch a variant that was saved with a kerbal in a command chair and you leave the kerbal part in the chair so best to delete them as they're useless in the editor anyways

The variants will be saved with whatever changes you made ... should work on any type of craft also so is useful for more than just KSP racing

I also threw in a new Boost Flap Controller deal ... that's what is controlling the boost flaps in the video, it deploys an elevon if the craft is not landed and the elevon has been selected as a boost flap

Release coming in a few days with the Dakar 2020 OrX files included along with a BD Armory challenge and a Short Track racing challenge

Edited by DoctorDavinci

6 hours ago, Björn.Kerman said:

So, what's the route?

On 12/25/2019 at 4:43 PM, Triop said:

VN2dzIG.png

ScVaiE2.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.