KSP Loading... Content for consoles and PC coming soon!

SQUAD

Maybe its politically incorrect to ask, but I am guessing this version will likely be the last major version upgrade of original KSP since KSP 2 is looming mid-year?  Don't get me wrong, I am not necessarily sold on the idea of KSP 2 until I see it, and suspect people will potentially play KSP going forward for quite some time.  Just curious what the stance here is.

6 minutes ago, LanderDude said:

Maybe its politically incorrect to ask, but I am guessing this version will likely be the last major version upgrade of original KSP since KSP 2 is looming mid-year?  Don't get me wrong, I am not necessarily sold on the idea of KSP 2 until I see it, and suspect people will potentially play KSP going forward for quite some time.  Just curious what the stance here is.

I don't think it's incorrect in any way to ask, though they've stated that development of KSP will continue after KSP2 comes out.

Also the way things are going there's time for at least 1.9 if not 1.10 before KSP2 drops.

35 minutes ago, LanderDude said:

Squad has stated explicitly that they will NOT be stopping development of KSP 1. KSP 1 will continue for the foreseeable future l.

26 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Also the way things are going there's time for at least 1.9 if not 1.10 before KSP2 drops.

I doubt it. Took them what? 6 to 9 months to get 1.8 out? KSP 2 is rumored to release in March due to Take Two wanting it out before their fiscal year is out. That's 6 months from now. Hmmm. They might make a KSP 2 like update for KSP 1 1.9, to make transition between games more canonical, with a release date a few days to weeks before KSP 2. Or heck, it would release the same time as KSP 2.

Edited by GoldForest

35 minutes ago, LanderDude said:

There’s more to come after 1.8

10 hours ago, GoldForest said:

I doubt it. Took them what? 6 to 9 months to get 1.8 out? KSP 2 is rumored to release in March due to Take Two wanting it out before their fiscal year is out. That's 6 months from now. Hmmm. They might make a KSP 2 like update for KSP 1 1.9, to make transition between games more canonical, with a release date a few days to weeks before KSP 2. Or heck, it would release the same time as KSP 2.

Quick abridged release history of the past 7 releases, with 1.8 added:

• 1.8 - ?????????? (At least 6 months after...)
  • 1.7 - April 2019 (4 months after...)
  • 1.6 - December 2018 (2 months after...)
  • 1.5 - October 2018 (8 months after...)
  • 1.4 - March 2018 (10 months after...)
  • 1.3 - May 2017 (7 months after...)
  • 1.2 - October 2016 (7 months after...)
  • 1.1 - March 2016

So the average is 6 1/3 months, implying pretty strongly that 1.8 will release in October and 1.9 would then release in April or May.

Even assuming KSP2 actually comes out in Spring 2020, May is still in Spring and 1.9 could easily come out before that.

Assuming KSP2 comes out in 2020 at some point (which is the assumption I'm making) then 1.10 would be expected in October or November 2020, which could still beat KSP2.

Note: Squad announced in with the release of KSP 1.5 that they were trying to release new versions 4 months apart. They've obviously had trouble with that (Except 1.6 which was way early to make up for 1.5 being way late) but no one has said it's not still the goal. Given that, 1.9 could come out as early as February or even January 2020. I'm pressed for time and could not find the exact text of the announcement. If I come across it I'll edit this post.

54 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Quick abridged release history of the past 7 releases, with 1.8 added:

• 1.8 - ?????????? (At least 6 months after...)
  • 1.7 - April 2019 (4 months after...)
  • 1.6 - December 2018 (2 months after...)
  • 1.5 - October 2018 (8 months after...)
  • 1.4 - March 2018 (10 months after...)
  • 1.3 - May 2017 (7 months after...)
  • 1.2 - October 2016 (7 months after...)
  • 1.1 - March 2016

So the average is 6 1/3 months, implying pretty strongly that 1.8 will release in October and 1.9 would then release in April or May.

Even assuming KSP2 actually comes out in Spring 2020, May is still in Spring and 1.9 could easily come out before that.

Assuming KSP2 comes out in 2020 at some point (which is the assumption I'm making) then 1.10 would be expected in October or November 2020, which could still beat KSP2.

Note: Squad announced in with the release of KSP 1.5 that they were trying to release new versions 4 months apart. They've obviously had trouble with that (Except 1.6 which was way early to make up for 1.5 being way late) but no one has said it's not still the goal. Given that, 1.9 could come out as early as February or even January 2020. I'm pressed for time and could not find the exact text of the announcement. If I come across it I'll edit this post.

Well, they usually only do these full update run downs when they're ready to release the update, right? I would argue that 1.8 will release by the end of September, possibly Monday, or if not in September, then really early October,  possibly this up coming Wednesday. 

If this happens, that gives them 6 months to work on an update to bridge KSP 1 and KSP 2, if they want to so that of course. 

And I doubt highly that KSP 2 will release outside the Spring months. March is the most likely candidate like I said, but it could release as late as June. 

If 1.9 came out in march, then if we follow the 4 month time table, it will be July that will see 1.10

Of course 1.9 could take the 4 months they're aiming for, which means January, in which case 1.10 would be in April/May. 

The only way we get 2 updates before KSP 2 is if June is the release date, but that is highly unlikely. As it stands, March is the most likely candidate if the corporate overlord rumors are true. 

18 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

The only way we get 2 updates before KSP 2 is if June is the release date, but that is highly unlikely. As it stands, March is the most likely candidate if the corporate overlord rumors are true. 

You keep saying rumors but I've not seen anybody say they heard that. What you're actually banking on is speculation.

I for one will be (quite happily) surprised if it KSP2 comes out in March. In fact I'll be (again happily) surprised if it comes out before Fall 2020.

I will be unhappily unsurprised of course if it comes out too early to meet a deadline and is therefore riddled with bugs and problems. But that's just because I'm a pessimist.

Edited by 5thHorseman

I sincerely doubt Squad's work on any subsequent updates, or the timelines of those updates, are directly tied to KSP2's release, aside from the fact they may not want to release an update around the same time as the KSP2 release date, for conflicting media coverage, hype trains, etc.

It was stated in various forms that the direction of their respective developments has been separate, aside from consultation cross-talk between teams.  A lot of people are making assumptions in other threads that KSP1 will simply stop being worked on after KSP2 is released.  In fact, there is a LOT of speculation that is being thrown about regarding both games, and I don't understand what indicators they are being derived from.  Then again, this is the KSP forums after all. :wink:

28 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

You keep saying rumors but I've not seen anybody say they heard that. What you're actually banking on is speculation.

I for one will be (quite happily) surprised if it KSP2 comes out in March. In fact I'll be (again happily) surprised if it comes out before Fall 2020.

I will be unhappily unsurprised of course if it comes out too early to meet a deadline and is therefore riddled with bugs and problems. But that's just because I'm a pessimist.

Not speculation. I can't find it because it's buried, but a user said they talked to a dev who said the release date was March to coincide with Take Two's fiscal year.

2 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Not speculation. I can't find it because it's buried, but a user said they talked to a dev who said the release date was March to coincide with Take Two's fiscal year.

I also remember reading something similar.  Although my recollection is that the dev said the target release date was March (2020).  Target release date, which means there is room for that date to change before release.