KSP Loading... Content for consoles and PC coming soon!

SQUAD

On 9/25/2019 at 5:13 PM, SQUAD said:

(L to R: Galileo, Shadowzone, Snark, EJ_SA, Jatwaa, LGG, Das, Nate Simpson (Creative Dir. Star Theory), Scott Manley, Chuck Noble (Principal Engineer at Star Theory), BadNewsBaron, Geoff (Museum of Flight).

Aw, Fork! 

I blame the Museum PR guy for not keeping me in the loop (but he has no idea what KSP is, nor how many hours I have logged in it), but I work upstairs from where this was taken, and only found out everyone was here the next day. Would have loved to meet you all, but *VERY* glad Geoff was on-hand to show you around. He introduced me to the game way back when...

I hope you had a great time in Seattle (for those who actually needed to travel here)!

18 hours ago, GoldForest said:

I would argue that 1.8 will release by the end of September, possibly Monday, or if not in September, then really early October,  possibly this up coming Wednesday. 

Doubt it.

The images from the Loading Screen Contest will probably be included in 1.8, and that contest doesn't end til October 2nd. And after that Squad needs time to choose the best pictures and implement them into the game.

16 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

I work upstairs from where this was taken, 

Oh wow.  I was at the museum in March for the first time. I have relatives on both sides of the family and inlaws in Seattle. What an amazing place.

As for KSP.  The navball warp and map staging are great improvements. 

This texture revamp is fantastic.  For me, surface stuff is more important than parts (though I appreciate that is a big deal for many others).   So this begs the question: is the goal to upgrade the whole solar system before release?  The inner planets only? The most popular?

I still think there should be a massive Dres makeover complete with new weird stuff to scan on it.  It would be the space equivalent of a dying industrial town opening a new art museum and rebranding itself as a tourist destination.

Edited by Klapaucius

10 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

This texture revamp is fantastic.  For me, surface stuff is more important than parts (though I appreciate that is a big deal for many others).   So this begs the question: is the goal to upgrade the whole solar system before release?  The inner planets only? The most popular?

@nestor answered this in another thread: no the whole system likely won't have a refresh before 1.8.0, but no they're not done with it either. They haven't said anything about which planets they plan on doing other than the ones they've already shown.

(My software nerd interpretation of this is that they're working on the whole system, they've prioritised it, and they intend to keep on working on it; however they've decided not to let it hold up 1.8.0, meaning they'll release with whatever is ready when the 1.8.0 release criteria are otherwise met. And they're showing these previews as they finish them.)

Edited by Guest

As far as revamps go, they're about halfway there. The only surfaces left to redo are Moho, Dres, Tylo, Vall, Bop, Laythe, and Eeloo. That's eight, and they already did seven. 

3 hours ago, Brikoleur said:

@nestor answered this in another thread: no the whole system likely won't have a refresh before 1.8.0, but no they're not done with it either. They haven't said anything about which planets they plan on doing other than the ones they've already shown.

(My software nerd interpretation of this is that they're working on the whole system, they've prioritised it, and they intend to keep on working on it; however they've decided not to let it hold up 1.8.0, meaning they'll release with whatever is ready when the 1.8.0 release criteria are otherwise met. And they're showing these previews as they finish them.)

Thanks for that. Did not see that other thread.

52 minutes ago, Dragon01 said:

As far as revamps go, they're about halfway there. The only surfaces left to redo are Moho, Dres, Tylo, Vall, Bop, Laythe, and Eeloo. That's eight, and they already did seven. 

Also Jool and Kerbin. Kerbin only has the KSC so far and Jool would look great with more detailed clouds.

On 9/26/2019 at 4:42 AM, JPLRepo said:

Performance improvements are hard to quantify because it's always going to be different on each hardware setup and with different settings, etc.
Let's say we have observed definite, measurable performance improvements and it is something we have focused on with the Unity engine upgrade and the new features that brings, as well as focusing (as always) on improving the performance of our code.

Right, but, you could always list the setups you used in testing and offer the numbers for the performance improvements you saw on them anyway.

Edited by Guest

On 9/27/2019 at 10:55 AM, 5thHorseman said:

Quick abridged release history of the past 7 releases, with 1.8 added:

• 1.8 - ?????????? (At least 6 months after...)
  • 1.7 - April 2019 (4 months after...)
  • 1.6 - December 2018 (2 months after...)
  • 1.5 - October 2018 (8 months after...)
  • 1.4 - March 2018 (10 months after...)
  • 1.3 - May 2017 (7 months after...)
  • 1.2 - October 2016 (7 months after...)
  • 1.1 - March 2016

So the average is 6 1/3 months, implying pretty strongly that 1.8 will release in October and 1.9 would then release in April or May.

Even assuming KSP2 actually comes out in Spring 2020, May is still in Spring and 1.9 could easily come out before that.

Assuming KSP2 comes out in 2020 at some point (which is the assumption I'm making) then 1.10 would be expected in October or November 2020, which could still beat KSP2.

Note: Squad announced in with the release of KSP 1.5 that they were trying to release new versions 4 months apart. They've obviously had trouble with that (Except 1.6 which was way early to make up for 1.5 being way late) but no one has said it's not still the goal. Given that, 1.9 could come out as early as February or even January 2020. I'm pressed for time and could not find the exact text of the announcement. If I come across it I'll edit this post.

The 1.7/Breaking ground one twisted the average a bit, but if you reconsider yoru time line with 1.7.3 in that calendar  (which we do) I think youll find a nice pattern :)

On 10/2/2019 at 1:00 PM, NoMrBond said:

Do the new planetary terrains we're seeing here use the updated Terrain System which Unity introduced in 2018.3 (since 1.8 will be built on 2019.2) or are the system and KSP's PQS/Ground system not compatible in that way?

KSP does not use Unity built-in terrain meshes functionality. It uses its own terrain system - namely PQS.

On 10/6/2019 at 1:54 PM, JPLRepo said:

KSP does not use Unity built-in terrain meshes functionality. It uses its own terrain system - namely PQS.

Thanks, any chance of a post-1.8 release (when the crunch is off) blog/post thing talking about the whole Unity upgrade and all the improvements which have been added?

Always cool to get some under the hood commentary about what goes into the updates

40 minutes ago, NoMrBond said:

Thanks, any chance of a post-1.8 release (when the crunch is off) blog/post thing talking about the whole Unity upgrade and all the improvements which have been added?

Always cool to get some under the hood commentary about what goes into the updates

Yes please.

• 2 weeks later...