[WIP][1.7.3] RVE64k

pingopete

RSS Visual Enhancements (RVE) - 64k is a test project I'm working on that attempts to bring the highest possible level of detail to RealSolarSystem modded KSP.

Utilizing rbray's awesome EVE-overhaul and Scatterer to give NathanKell's RealSolarSystem mod (Earth only) realistic clouds, atmospheres and surface textures based on NASA imagery.

I've been on a 3 year hiatus from KSP, but wanted to have a crack at super high resolution RSS textures again now that more has been done in the way of visual enhancement tools (EVE cubemaps and Scatterer).

ijMZeSM.png

This uses rbray's latest EVE overhauls, and as a result is frequently receiving his updates, this also means it is still very much a WorkInProgress and there are currently too many glitches in RSS to release fully yet, HOWEVER I'm providing the latest state of this EXPERIMENTAL and UNFINISHED project on Github for those who are willing to put up with the many visual glitches until official release.

VERY HEAVY ON GPU LOAD READ BELOW

• DirectX 11 tested only
  • Consider this a cinematic tool only in its current state: Currently only Earth orbit is being worked on and tested, no other planets or even in-atmosphere Earth has been tested or modified.
  • Don't expect average FPS above 30 unless you're rocking an RTX series GPU
  • Test Rig: i7-8700k/GTX 970/16gb ram
  • Ram usage in game: 10-12GB

Main Features:

• 64k Earth Terrain and Borders (down-scaled from 128k)
  • 32k Clouds (with experimental opacity)
  • KS3P Integration (Including Eye Adaptation for Earth's dark side)
  • 64k City Light mask (cutout from terrain saving memory usage).
  • Cloud light pollution
  • Lightning in large storms
  • Auroras

Requirements:

Strongly Recommended/Supported

• KS3P (Eye adaptation on the Earth's dark side so you can see lightning/city lights/auroras)

KS3P COMPATIBILITY INFO: 

1. Install latest official version
  2. Then install this patch
  3. Finally drag and drop RVE64k KS3P configs into KS3P install directory

FAQ's, Known Issues & Fixes:

• My Performance sucks!
    (You're attempting to run over 5billion pixels in textures, in realtime.. in KSP; anything less than a high end gaming rig will struggle)

• I don't have High Res textures while in the atmosphere?
    (This is a consequence of using an EVE cloud layer for ground terrain texture and can't be fixed currently)

• There is no day time ciy texture.. it's just grey?
    (Yep, it's a place holder texture until I can fix some issues with them)

• KS3P Isn't working properly with the RVE64k configs?
    (Make sure to install the patch in the order described above before the RVE64k configs)

• Huge lag spike when initially moving to a vessel in Scaled Space or switching from map view to vessel view
    (switch to map view, zoom out till lag stops, switch back to vessel view)

• Grey patches over land/City lights appear in big blobs/City lights everywhere near to camera
    (Open EVE GUI [R Alt + 0], switch to city configs section, hit apply)

• Terrain is all white
    (Open Scatterer GUI [Alt + F11], hit 'Map Eve Clouds')

Launch Trailer

ar1tylW.gif

Higher Quality Gif

All screenshots below were taken with KS3P unity rendering (RVE64k configs included) mod and Textures Unlimited

bLCe1op.png

yqK453w.png

zVW3lmi.png

XMy4QCy.png

h55Jfn5.png

OJke3zv.png

lBfTeGv.png

8WChDsd.png

GitHub - v0.1 Alpha Release

• Please read the known issues and install instructions before complaining about stuff not working
  • If you see bugs, I probably already know about them

Licence: CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0

Edited by pingopete

13 minutes ago, jrodriguez said:

This is amazing @pingopete. Thanks.

Just one question. I haven't seen any comment regarding DX11.

Can we use DX11 forcing with this setup?  

wow I somehow completely forgot to mention that anywhere in any documentation, thanks for the reminder haha.

Yeah this was all tested with dx11 enabled, in fact it hasn't been tested without it.

1 minute ago, RurouniDonut said:

Can this be tested with RSSVE so that this only replaces Earth but everything is from RSSVE?

There is no way it'd be as simple and dragging a dropping, I'd hadn't actually thought about cross compatibility, I'll have a look into it. Basically You'd need to make new scatterer and eve configs or a .dll to merge/run them together

My experience so far! My game never stop loading the menu screen, I can hear the menu soundtrack but I can only see the loading logo & the ram don't pass over 4 GB, I am forcing It to dx11 & 64 bits

Edited by v44n

3 hours ago, v44n said:

My experience so far! My game never stop loading the menu screen, I can hear the menu soundtrack but I can only see the loading logo & the ram don't pass over 4 GB, I am forcing It to dx11 & 64 bits

My only experience of this was when I was loading a scatterer config for oceans with an incorrectly configured value for rending quality which caused the game to crash. I've just check the zip file of the DL on git and it's got the same values as my current setup that's working. Not currently sure what's going on there, will need to see what other people find. Any more info you can give; pc specs, exact mod versions for all required mods, any other mod installs

21 hours ago, Shawn Kerman said:

do you still have the 128K textures?

also this is the 2nd most EVE demanding mod made (maybe)

Yes I do but from what I've heard unity wont allow textures larger than 16384^2 in KSP, hard limit, this is why I opted to downscale from 128k doing all the processing and sharpening before resizing down in order to maintain the highest possible quality/information per pixel. 

[snip]

Well you don't have to download it if you don't want.. lol

Edited by Vanamonde

19 hours ago, jrodriguez said:

(@pingopete Few things more :)

We need to make this to work with KSP 1.6.1 for RO compatibility and also to add in the mix the 8k/16k textures from the HQ RSSVE mod pack .

I will help you with these things. 

Which 8/16k textures from RSSVE were you referring too btw? I'm using various 4-16k textures as well in this

3 hours ago, pingopete said:

Which 8/16k textures from RSSVE were you referring too btw? I'm using various 4-16k textures as well in this

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AixZLrjtqp-RgsZ1zDOqcG2U2j0KRg?e=Ry2pLK

This is my RSS textures package. It has higher quality textures than the  RSS 8k packages. 16K Mars, etc..

Maybe it can be useful in the future for you when start working on other planets :)

55 minutes ago, BlinAndVodka238 said:

I run a 32gb i7 8750H with a GTX1050ti, how much should i get in FPS?

Also fun fact i showed this to my (65 YO) mother and told her it's actual NASA footage and she believed it lol.

I don't know exactly, you'd have to experiment but I included my specs and performance in the documentation, also thats halarious, although the older generation isn't exactly that great and finding the line between cgi and realist from my personal experience :P

14 minutes ago, jrodriguez said:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AixZLrjtqp-RgsZ1zDOqcG2U2j0KRg?e=Ry2pLK

This is my RSS textures package. It has higher quality textures than the  RSS 8k packages. 16K Mars, etc..

Maybe it can be useful in the future for you when start working on other planets :)

Ah right, you made the 16k RSS texture pack? I'm actually using that in my install anyway! Although I'm currently making my own version of the 16k earth colour with changed alpha values as the high res overlaying terrain cubemap isn't having it's full potential currently as the smaller rivers don't have reflections shining through

4 minutes ago, pingopete said:

Ah right, you made the 16k RSS texture pack? I'm actually using that in my install anyway! Although I'm currently making my own version of the 16k earth colour with changed alpha values as the high res overlaying terrain cubemap isn't having it's full potential currently as the smaller rivers don't have reflections shining through

That sounds awesome :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.