[WIP][1.7.3] RVE64k

pingopete

3 hours ago, jrodriguez said:

Regarding the camera far clipping I'm using the previous RSSVE setting to avoid the ground glitches:

@REALSOLARSYSTEM:FOR[RSSVE]:NEEDS[RealSolarSystem]
{
    %cam00FarClip = 1251.0
    %cam01NearClip = 1249.0
    %cam01FarClip = 1875000.0
    %camSSDepth = -4
    %camSSFarClip = 100000000
    %camSSNearClip = 9
}

Regarding the support of the GodRays. I think I might be able to recompile a version of scatterer with it enabled if you want

Thanks, but I've been trying those and they don't affect scatterer, I've found the exact line of code in the scatterer source code that controls it:

Effects, Atmosphere, Utils, AtmosphereProjector:

line 24: projector.farClipPlane = 4*Rt;

I'm actually currently installing visual studios in an attempt to recompile the latest version of scatterer with this line modified to 8 or 10, but I have 0 prior experience making or recompiling .dlls.

If you wanted to recompile that that'd be amazing, as I'm sure it'd take me days to get my head around the whole business. (I imagine that value being X'd by the planets radius would need to be like at least 7 or 8 instead of 4

Just so you know this is still very experimental,this wouldn't work with the 64k texture setup, I've already tried, we'd need an addition to EVE to allow us to map terrain onto earths land via cubemaps, I've posted a comment on the thread about that. Regardless it'd be cool to just see what this looks like with the 16k rss textures.

Also godrays would be awesome, I looked back through the changelogs, apparently it was only removed for compatibility with MFD cameras and  some ailiasting on the atmosphere

Edited by pingopete

Absolutely amazing mod! Thanks a lot sharing it already as WIP. I cant await the relase version.

On 10/2/2019 at 7:02 PM, pingopete said:

I'm actually currently installing visual studios in an attempt to recompile the latest version of scatterer with this line modified to 8 or 10, but I have 0 prior experience making or recompiling .dlls.

If you wanted to recompile that that'd be amazing, as I'm sure it'd take me days to get my head around the whole business.

When you do this, you maybe  could also fix the not occluded orbit lines when you zoom out in RSS (just joking - or maybe not :-P)

On 10/1/2019 at 5:27 PM, pingopete said:

Pretty sure that's just the Eye Adaption, I thought this myself when looking at Earth from this exact angle - side on to the terminator, obviously you'd want the camera to ajust the aperture to the bright side in this instance but I think it always calculates it based on total screen space brightness so would average between night and dark in this instance.

However I found without the Adaption it's virtually impossible to see the stuff on the dark side of Earth.

Either way it was just my first shot and ks3p configs, and due to these preferences that no doubt differ between users I've left the ks3p configs as an optional extra.

Yes thanks for the allowance of moddable cfg's i'm messing about with them , slowly but surely .

Yup another question , well ok two 

1) what is the actual cloud cfg  , cubemaps ?? is what i'm thinking .

2) Ballpark lol , Optimal orbit height for video's and screenshots , to get all the candy and glory of this mod .

Thanks .

52 minutes ago, Puggonaut said:

Yes thanks for the allowance of moddable cfg's i'm messing about with them , slowly but surely .

Yup another question , well ok two 

1) what is the actual cloud cfg  , cubemaps ?? is what i'm thinking .

2) Ballpark lol , Optimal orbit height for video's and screenshots , to get all the candy and glory of this mod .

Thanks .

1) not sure what you mean sorry 

2) so basically the terrain 64k resolution will give a 1:1 texture pixel to screen pixel (1080p monitor) at around 300-400kms with a normal 75 degree fov, below this you get some blurring, above this texture pixels are smaller than screen pixels so you get effectively super sampling, that's terrain but the cloud has 1 pixel for ever four that the terrain has (32k) so I'm guessing that you'd need to be roughly 4 times as far for the clouds to be completely sharp, I prefer iss altitudes ~400km orbit, this looks nice with the terrain, for some reason whenever people take screen shots with rve they go to about 8000km which just wastes tons of the resolution of the textures lol

On 10/2/2019 at 7:02 PM, pingopete said:

Thanks, but I've been trying those and they don't affect scatterer, I've found the exact line of code in the scatterer source code that controls it:

Effects, Atmosphere, Utils, AtmosphereProjector:

line 24: projector.farClipPlane = 4*Rt;

If you wanted to recompile that that'd be amazing, as I'm sure it'd take me days to get my head around the whole business. (I imagine that value being X'd by the planets radius would need to be like at least 7 or 8 instead of 4

Just so you know this is still very experimental,this wouldn't work with the 64k texture setup, I've already tried, we'd need an addition to EVE to allow us to map terrain onto earths land via cubemaps, I've posted a comment on the thread about that. Regardless it'd be cool to just see what this looks like with the 16k rss textures.

Also godrays would be awesome, I looked back through the changelogs, apparently it was only removed for compatibility with MFD cameras and  some ailiasting on the atmosphere

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AixZLrjtqp-RgsZ3pbVwJNSMPrFPCQ?e=L2pAM7

I have recompiled scatterer with just that change, I increased the value for 8. Let me know if it works :)

2 hours ago, hypervelocity said:

pete this is mindblowing, I'm in awe!!! im currently playing 1.6.1 but when RO/RSS and the works are ready for 1.7.3 I will definitely give this a try!!! thank you for sharing your work with us!!!

Great seeing you again man! and thanks!

13 minutes ago, jrodriguez said:

I have recompiled scatterer with just that change, I increased the value for 8. Let me know if it works :)

Amazing! thank you so much, I'll be sure to test this as soon as possible!

Edited by pingopete

1 hour ago, hypervelocity said:

@pingopete, are you doing something in terms of skybox? I think an ultra-res skybox could really give it a realism bump by turning those pixelated blobs into sharp bright dots! 

There is very extreme skybox here, maybe it would be a nice addon :)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qkLG9QKt6kd-MJL-e-3e8GVZ-unAwmG9/view

Absolutely amazing mod!! But i read it was working for 1.6.1 too, do you happen to know what versions of kopernicus, eve, scatterer and stuff im supposed to be using? because it doesnt want to work for me, and i really want to play this with Realism Overhaul, anyways, thx for making this!!

4 hours ago, hypervelocity said:

@pingopete, are you doing something in terms of skybox? I think an ultra-res skybox could really give it a realism bump by turning those pixelated blobs into sharp bright dots! 

I deliberately have left out the skybox for the time being as I wasn't sure how KSP would handle running the 64k textures as well as additional stuff like that, in the old RVE I actually exported a realistic skybox from SpaceEngine, I believe there have been several skyboxes made for KSP already, so might be worth giving those a try, I can't recall the name of the mods which I used before, sorry

2 hours ago, Julian_S said:

Absolutely amazing mod!! But i read it was working for 1.6.1 too, do you happen to know what versions of kopernicus, eve, scatterer and stuff im supposed to be using? because it doesnt want to work for me, and i really want to play this with Realism Overhaul, anyways, thx for making this!!

Sorry I haven't done any work in the way of merging this with 1.6.1 myself but apparently it is possible as others have claimed to get it running here, someone else would have to chip in with there findings

On 10/4/2019 at 8:19 PM, jrodriguez said:

Hey so I gave that .dll a try, didn't seem to change anything sadly, did you try it yourself by any chance? I tried also increasing the PQS and SS far clipping plane for Kopernicus but it didn't change anything? Thanks again though for recompiling it

https://imgur.com/a/w9vLxYR <--- Full album with more examples. 

KUqagpg.png

Hey pingopete, I'm unsure of what issues you might still be having with KS3P as far as getting the export function to work, so I thought I'd lend a hand on that point; though to be fair given the general state of KS3P I can't really say for certain that'll work for you, but it has for me thus far. 

Essentially when creating a config the first and best thing to do is to get all relevant settings to where you want them. Then, under "Edit Profile Properties" you want to select which scenes this particular config you've created should load into. (IE, which is selectable). Once you do this, a single config will apply to all the scenes you chose. Then once you export, best practice for me has been to copy the export text into the config file you based your work on. 

So, for instance say you're changing the settings for "EVA" and you want this to apply to not just EVA, but also Flight, Main Menu, and Tracking Center. You'd pick all those under profile properties, then export. Copy the text in the export and paste over whats in the EVA config. (naturally if EVA doesn't exist, create it) Then that should load up just fine. Then you do the same for all the others. Presumably you can mix and match or do each scene individually. 

However, for the config I'm making for my own purposes (showcased above) I'm approaching more from a general gameplay standpoint rather than a desire to crank the graphics to the absolute max. So mine just applies to all scenes simultaneously as one config. Which works out great really. Easy to change on the fly as I continue to tweak it and generally just spares the headache of juggling configs. 

I have noticed however that some settings for whatever reason don't load correctly, if at all. Unsure if this is because of export or just because KS3P is still borked. IN particular, the entire "Trackballs" section under color grading is completely pointless to mess with for me. 

~~ 

And also, regarding mip maps on clouds, I'm still unsure of how exactly I converted mine. I've attempted it in both paint.net and gimp and I'm also struggling to find the settings necessary to get it to work. Which is strange given that the clouds I converted still work as intended, I just can't recreate them for whatever reason. I will keep messing with it and let you know though. 

Edited by G'th

On 10/9/2019 at 3:30 AM, G'th said:

https://imgur.com/a/w9vLxYR <--- Full album with more examples. 

KUqagpg.png

Hey pingopete, I'm unsure of what issues you might still be having with KS3P as far as getting the export function to work, so I thought I'd lend a hand on that point; though to be fair given the general state of KS3P I can't really say for certain that'll work for you, but it has for me thus far. 

Essentially when creating a config the first and best thing to do is to get all relevant settings to where you want them. Then, under "Edit Profile Properties" you want to select which scenes this particular config you've created should load into. (IE, which is selectable). Once you do this, a single config will apply to all the scenes you chose. Then once you export, best practice for me has been to copy the export text into the config file you based your work on. 

So, for instance say you're changing the settings for "EVA" and you want this to apply to not just EVA, but also Flight, Main Menu, and Tracking Center. You'd pick all those under profile properties, then export. Copy the text in the export and paste over whats in the EVA config. (naturally if EVA doesn't exist, create it) Then that should load up just fine. Then you do the same for all the others. Presumably you can mix and match or do each scene individually. 

However, for the config I'm making for my own purposes (showcased above) I'm approaching more from a general gameplay standpoint rather than a desire to crank the graphics to the absolute max. So mine just applies to all scenes simultaneously as one config. Which works out great really. Easy to change on the fly as I continue to tweak it and generally just spares the headache of juggling configs. 

I have noticed however that some settings for whatever reason don't load correctly, if at all. Unsure if this is because of export or just because KS3P is still borked. IN particular, the entire "Trackballs" section under color grading is completely pointless to mess with for me. 

~~ 

And also, regarding mip maps on clouds, I'm still unsure of how exactly I converted mine. I've attempted it in both paint.net and gimp and I'm also struggling to find the settings necessary to get it to work. Which is strange given that the clouds I converted still work as intended, I just can't recreate them for whatever reason. I will keep messing with it and let you know though. 

Thanks, I'm using the patch provided in the thread comments for KS3P, I used this method to make them, as using all the xported document text doesn't work and isn't formatted correctly, also some value don't export properly and remain as default unless you manually change them in the cfg. I may make individual configs for different scenes but at the moment I'm just using one for all like you.

And yeah I still haven't been able to figure out how people saved textures with working mips, although it occured to me that I never manually defined an alpha channel and this had caused me issues before, so next time I have a go at the city lights I'll try messing with that

For KS3P , I borrowed the config from AVP , tweaked a few settings and well got this .

RVe-1.png

Still tweaking and playing about and still impressed with this mod as i'm using DX11 and the craft had near 600 parts but doesn't seem to lag and stutter , so your mod is obivoulsy well thought out thanks .

On 10/12/2019 at 12:53 PM, Puggonaut said:

Here is another bonus with your Mod . after looking at how you have done your cfg's for the visuals , I've managed to use a few of them on my stock install of KSP so now Kerbin looks amazing in DX11 .

Memory footprint is also excellent .

171modlist.png

STOCKVMOD.png

Wow, is you pc the blue horizons super computer?! My performance with a barebones install was soso, but then my pc I'snt really that high end anymore these days. 

Are you using the detail texture mapped over the entire planet in that last pic? I can see the mirroring.

Love a little secret ingredient in my installs too ;)

I thought up using the terrain texture as a city mask by cutting out a 64k city lights map from it effectively getting 2 64k textures in one, with only the performance drop from one

Edited by pingopete

Anyone using RVEx64k ever have severely bright planets? Idk what I did or if it’s a conflict but at certain angles my larger planets have a very bright light ring around them and until I zoom in they can be super bright. Thanks for the help.

17 hours ago, pingopete said:

Wow, is you pc the blue horizons super computer?! My performance with a barebones install was soso, but then my pc I'snt really that high end anymore these days. 

Are you using the detail texture mapped over the entire planet in that last pic? I can see the mirroring.

Love a little secret ingredient in my installs too ;)

I thought up using the terrain texture as a city mask by cutting out a 64k city lights map from it effectively getting 2 64k textures in one, with only the performance drop from one

I have two PC's the silly one built to replace my 8086K is a 9700k , SSD Evo , 32GB 3200mhz Ram and a oldish GTX 1070 8GB Card , been mucking about with cfg's for a stock kerbin but with visuals for about 18 months now and you Atmo cfg helped cure a previous issue with DX11 , just by adding four lines . The visual mod itself has 5 x 148mb cubemaps for the clouds and about a total of 25GB of Textures with them included . 

1 hour ago, B15hop said:

Anyone using RVEx64k ever have severely bright planets? Idk what I did or if it’s a conflict but at certain angles my larger planets have a very bright light ring around them and until I zoom in they can be super bright. Thanks for the help.

Yes. I think the KS3P config is going to require some amendments.

For example if you do a transfer to the Moon,at half of the way everything would appear as neutron stars lol ultra bright!

Moreover, if your probe has windows with internal lights it would seem you have a fusion reactor inside lol.

On 10/14/2019 at 12:58 PM, jrodriguez said:

Yes. I think the KS3P config is going to require some amendments.

For example if you do a transfer to the Moon,at half of the way everything would appear as neutron stars lol ultra bright!

Moreover, if your probe has windows with internal lights it would seem you have a fusion reactor inside lol.

Lol you said it. I disabled KS3P and all is well in the universe. :D

Loving this mod! I wish KSP wouldn't make so many updates.lol.. This new update killed it I think for me.. Guess I either go with an older version or wait for an update.  Sooo worth the wait!

Edited by B15hop

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.