[WIP][1.7.3] RVE64k

pingopete

On 8/26/2019 at 8:59 AM, pingopete said:

Yeah, it's been ages, thought I'd give ksp another go after I saw ksp 2 announced and am tempted to revisit rve now people have been playing with crazy high res cloud cube maps while I was gone

@pingopete really is great having you active again...thanks so much for this (& of course your previous ;-) work!

92HmE5B.png 2H2zdc7.png p1QIJEr.png YVv4cJb.png
Edited by AloE
images

On 10/7/2019 at 10:13 PM, Puggonaut said:

RVE64K + RSSVE ( JRO ) + KS3P + My cfg's = well this , only took about 45 attempts and reloads of KSP to get here

&...For KS3P , I borrowed the config from AVP , tweaked a few settings and well got this .

looks beautiful...I would like to try out your tweaked config files...I think they will make the eclipses look even better...might you share them?  Thanks !:-)

Edited by AloE

On 9/27/2019 at 6:36 PM, jrodriguez said:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AixZLrjtqp-RgsZ1zDOqcG2U2j0KRg?e=Ry2pLK

This is my RSS textures package. It has higher quality textures than the  RSS 8k packages. 16K Mars, etc..

I would much appreciate clarification on how potentially 'duplicate' textures get handled (e.g. the 131mB RSS EarthSurface.dds & 131mB EarthColor.dds ..I speculate that Earth's normal & Biome maps in "RSS-Textures" are still needed since I do not see new ones in RVE) 

& what a good practice is to do about them...(e.g. do EVE or MM patches from RSS to RVE64k break if a texture file is absent if i delete it , etc.) 

For example, should I be removing those specific Earth texture files from the 'more then HQ' "RSS-Textures" folder when using it in combo with the RVE64k earth textures?

(GPU vram usage for me is running around 7GB with the 'more then HQ' "RSS-Textures" folder plus RVE64k..is that what you are seeing as well?)

& suggestions on how to reduce the KS3P bloom flare on the projected orbital path are also welcome :-)

GInqMOE.gif

Things look very good with RVE64k & the more than HQ RSS-Textures & flights are going well so far!  (I am also using RSSVE but with all references to Kerbin or Earth removed from its various config files so that it just applies adjustments the other RSS bodies...)

Thank you to all of you for all the prior posts making this great work quite straightforward to get setup so beautifully :-)

Edited by AloE
image & names

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, spacefreak said:

RSSVE. The GitHub repository

In 1.7.3 with RVE64k I have been using the RSSVE folder alongside RVE64k [for example until RVE64k adds support for other solar system bodies]

I removed all references to Kerbin or Earth in the relevant RSSVE .cfg files so as to not conflict with RVE64k's beautiful Earth enhancements.

You can find the RSSVE folder for GameData in the 'source' zip (or tar.gz) for the 1.6.1-rc1 release:

https://github.com/PhineasFreak/RSSVE/releases/tag/v1.6.1-RC1

Spoiler

uvPZw2t.png

Edited by AloE
clarity given posts by others below

24 minutes ago, AloE said:

In 1.7.3 with RVE64k I have been using the RSSVE folder you can find in the source zip for the 1.6.1-rc1 release:

I removed all references to Kerbin or Earth in the relevant RSSVE .cfg files so as to not conflict with RVE64k's beautiful Earth enhancements.

I used an older version for 1.3.1, could that be the issue that caused this error?

d0UGvct.png

4 hours ago, AloE said:

In 1.7.3 with RVE64k I have been using the RSSVE folder you can find in the source zip for the 1.6.1-rc1 release:

So i download that and put it in my gamefolder but I dont have clouds or anything. It did not seem to take affect

3 hours ago, lk00david said:

an older version for 1.3.1

1.3.1 was quite different from 1.4.5 and later...I would not use any 1.3.1 mods with 1.4.5 or later unless you have no other option & then you are likely to be doing a fair bit of troubleshooting/rebuilding, etc.

guessing from your other posts: if you are trying RVE64k in 1.6.1 then I suggest using the version of as many of the requirements in listed in the OP that you can find that were built/compiled against 1.6.1...for example Kopernicus provides backports for 1.6.1.  The OP is deliberately using the EVE built for 1.7.x  so you might try that with 1.6.1 & then fall back to the 1.4.x EVE if you still have trouble...Scatterer also tends to be tricky so you might start with .052 which was rebuilt for 1.6.1

You might keep in mind though that the OP is focused on 1.7.3 & for now I am also focused on using 1.7.3  so there is not much else I can suggest.

Edited by AloE

10 hours ago, IronKerbal said:

RSS players really needed somthing better than 8k textures!

I encourage you to read the following post earlier in this topic (actually I found that all 4 pages of posts in this topic so far are very worthwhile to read through)

On 9/27/2019 at 6:36 PM, jrodriguez said:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AixZLrjtqp-RgsZ1zDOqcG2U2j0KRg?e=Ry2pLK

This is my RSS textures package. It has higher quality textures than the  RSS 8k packages. 16K Mars, etc..

Maybe it can be useful in the future for you when start working on other planets :)

also, since RVE64k may eventually include textures for other celestial bodies, I'll mention here that I have noticed that some RSS-textures currently do not match the lat/lon cartography norms:

Spoiler

Consequently some tidally locked moons, for example Io, in KSP do not show the correct features facing away from Jupiter...

if i can find a good description of how to create good normal & height maps for KSP then I plant to make corrected ones from LunaServ or other data sources for any textures i find 'misaligned' or are of interest to me such as the best available Titan surface detail:

Cassini ISS Titan Mosaic & Topography: Equatorial View (USGS/Ian Regan/P.Corlies et al.)

'correct' alignment becomes interesting, for example, if one uses Principia to turn KSP in to a reasonable approximation of 'astronomy software' for the solar system (e.g. decent replication of actual eclipses & transits and timing of visible surface features on one body from another, etc.) & replicating actual imaging or probe events on historic missions (e.g. huygens probe descent to Titan surface, Cassini & Galileo probe images)

9PQd7Ep.gif

On 11/1/2019 at 5:35 AM, AloE said:

I encourage you to read the following post earlier in this topic (actually I found that all 4 pages of posts in this topic so far are very worthwhile to read through)

also, since RVE64k may eventually include textures for other celestial bodies, I'll mention here that I have noticed that some RSS-textures currently do not match the lat/lon cartography norms:

Reveal hidden contents

Consequently some tidally locked moons, for example Io, in KSP do not show the correct features facing away from Jupiter...

if i can find a good description of how to create good normal & height maps for KSP then I plant to make corrected ones from LunaServ or other data sources for any textures i find 'misaligned' or are of interest to me such as the best available Titan surface detail:

Cassini ISS Titan Mosaic & Topography: Equatorial View (USGS/Ian Regan/P.Corlies et al.)

'correct' alignment becomes interesting, for example, if one uses Principia to turn KSP in to a reasonable approximation of 'astronomy software' for the solar system (e.g. decent replication of actual eclipses & transits and timing of visible surface features on one body from another, etc.) & replicating actual imaging or probe events on historic missions (e.g. huygens probe descent to Titan surface, Cassini & Galileo probe images)

9PQd7Ep.gif

Yeah I did everything you suggested but it still has the weird shading error :( convinced at this point RVE64k can't work with 1.6.1

Edit: ok, long story short the issue was this mod. however the fix is rather simple if not quite stupid :P I essentially took the files inside RSSVE-1.4.5/RSSVE/Configs/Misc-Configs  and put them into the same spot in RVE64k. It seems that scatterer had changed how it handles atmospheres since 1.6.1 so the configs are (somewhat) incompatible without this fix. doing this allows it to work everywhere from ground to orbit :) thatnks for the amazing mod @pingopete glad to finally be able to use it in my save :D 

Edited by lk00david
fixed it

13 hours ago, serialblack said:

lk00david are you using RSSVE with RVE64k? If so, was it literally a matter of copy and paste the files you specified? I would love to run this but I had the same issues as you.

quite shockingly yeah... it was that simple :confused: @serialblackif you need further clarification I could make a tutorial

Edited by lk00david
clarification

On 11/5/2019 at 1:05 PM, lk00david said:

quite shockingly yeah... it was that simple :confused: @serialblackif you need further clarification I could make a tutorial

Couldn't hurt, if you wouldn't mind? I'm sure I could handle it, but having something to actually "look" at is always beneficial :)

EDIT: Okay I got it going, and yes it was easy enough, but for some reason the sun looks like a gigantic blue orb....kinda reminds me of a picture of a super nova.....any thoughts on why this happened?

Edited by serialblack
made changes in regards to post within game.

On 11/6/2019 at 11:24 PM, serialblack said:

Couldn't hurt, if you wouldn't mind? I'm sure I could handle it, but having something to actually "look" at is always beneficial :)

EDIT: Okay I got it going, and yes it was easy enough, but for some reason the sun looks like a gigantic blue orb....kinda reminds me of a picture of a super nova.....any thoughts on why this happened?

yeah, mine did that and I think I just reinstalled sunflares but honestly no idea lol

On 11/14/2019 at 8:19 PM, lk00david said:

yeah, mine did that and I think I just reinstalled sunflares but honestly no idea lol

It is the sunflares, I guess I forgot the post that. If you keep with the stock scatterer, everything is fine, however if you use one of those kabrams sunflare packs it really messses things up. I actually had my install of RSS/RO RP1 running 1.7.3 for a bit....but I think i messed around with it too much and eventually it crashed. Now i just have issues just getting 1.6.1 to work.:confused:

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2019 at 12:22 PM, AloE said:

In 1.7.3 with RVE64k I have been using the RSSVE folder alongside RVE64k [for example until RVE64k adds support for other solar system bodies]

You can find the RSSVE folder for GameData in the 'source' zip (or tar.gz) for the 1.6.1-rc1 release:

Reveal hidden contents

uvPZw2t.png

hi @AloE - I'm very interested in the aforementioned idea of playing with RVE64k for Earth enhancements but keeping RSSVE for other System's bodies; would you mind sharing your updated RSSVE CFG?

thanks in advance!

EDIT: or if you have some time available maybe teach a man to fish instead? Did you just comment out all lines that read Earth/Kerbin? How could I go about tweaking my RSSVE CFG's as you did?

Edited by hypervelocity
give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day...

On 12/1/2019 at 4:06 PM, hypervelocity said:

How could I go about tweaking my RSSVE CFG's as you did?

@hypervelocity sent u a pm last Sunday...we can discuss further there then summarize here any useful tips regarding RSSVE for other planets during this RVE64k Earth alpha...though of course, I would love to see @pingopete 's magic spread throughout the solar system ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.