[WIP][1.7.3] RVE64k

pingopete

On 12/18/2019 at 12:57 AM, lk00david said:

this is what all of my planets except earth look like currently

looks like a scatterer related issue to me...I suggest you make sure you are using the last scatterer version that supported 1.7.3 & since I think you might also have tried adding RSSVE in the mix, I suggest that you check your scatterer settings there as those are the ones that affect Mars ...fyi in KSP 1.7.3 RSSVE-1.6.1RC1 (with its Earth configs removed) appears to look good for all the other planets alongside RVE64k's Earth configs so long as I use the RSS compiled against 1.6.1 = v16.2  (also without RVE64k, RSSVE1.6.1RC1 works fine for Earth & other planets with RSS builds v16.3 & v16.4 for 1.7.3) so I  think you should be able to make atmospheres look good & with clouds for the other planets alongside alpha RVE64k's current draft 'view from space' Earth only config...here are a few screenshots of what I have seen of the other planets at least from the tracking center: https://photos.app.goo.gl/5Si7WxMVkAVPeie89

Edited by AloE

• 2 weeks later...

what should I do:ph34r:

like that.I don't know what happen.But I have followed the instructions to install mods for related dependencies.

ksp 1.7.3+RSS+RVE64K+EVE+Scatterer0.0540...Except for the earth, all stars have a white circle.

https://imgur.com/a/ZgkIhSa

On 12/18/2019 at 7:57 AM, lk00david said:

this is what all of my planets except earth look like currentlykpk1cBx.png

:confused:My friend is the same as yours. Have you fixed it?

https://imgur.com/a/ZgkIhSa

On 1/4/2020 at 6:36 AM, hypervelocity said:

@DAXIN - until RSVE64k is on a more stable version, I am using Vannadin's 16k textures:

https://spacedock.info/mod/1357/VaNnadin's 16K RSS texture pack

I confirm this works with the latest RSS version for KSP 1.7.3

thanks to using my texture pack. it's just texture pack so it will work whenever RSS is updated.

there is very big difference between my texturepack and RVE64K. mine is basically limited to terrain. it's for kopernicus so it can't use cubemap; and so texture resolution is limited to 16K*8K, but it also changes normal map and height map. and RVE64K is for clouds and  atmosphere. it's terrain texture is small trick using eve. so it can use better resolution textures with cubemap but can't change topography. (at least as i know.) you can use my texture pack with this great eve visual mod.

On 1/4/2020 at 5:15 PM, DAXIN said:

It works, but eats configuration. AMD RX590 is a bit stuck.The base will also be blocked.

thank you too to using my texture pack.

please tell me when having problem; yeah, i made height map without considering about space centers. some of location may be have some troubles.

@VaNnadin  @pingopete   Do you think if it is possible to create a single higher res surface texture (for Kopernicus) using the RVE 64k surface cube map?

I know 64k it is not supported but maybe a 32k*16k?

BTW I have created an issue for Kopernicus in order to add cubemap support.

https://github.com/Kopernicus/Kopernicus/issues/396

On 9/28/2019 at 1:36 AM, jrodriguez said:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AixZLrjtqp-RgsZ1zDOqcG2U2j0KRg?e=Ry2pLK

This is my RSS textures package. It has higher quality textures than the  RSS 8k packages. 16K Mars, etc..

Maybe it can be useful in the future for you when start working on other planets :)

excuse me. this texture pack seems exactly same with my texture pack. every small edit point is same with mine. even readme file is same. is this really yours?

my texture pack has CC BY-NC-SA licence. and BY means attribution. you can use or share it but can't act as it's yours just because changed package name.

51 minutes ago, jrodriguez said:

@VaNnadin  @pingopete   Do you think if it is possible to create a single higher res surface texture (for Kopernicus) using the RVE 64k surface cube map?

btw i tried 32K*16K when i making my texture pack update but failed. i think dds format only support to 16K*16K resolution.

Edited by VaNnadin

1 hour ago, VaNnadin said:

excuse me. this texture pack seems exactly same with my texture pack. every small edit point is same with mine. even readme file is same. is this really yours?

my texture pack has CC BY-NC-SA licence. and BY means attribution. you can use or share it but can't act as it's yours just because changed package name.

Of course it is yours :) .   I should have use the word "my RSS setup" instead of my texture package, if I didn't mention you it was because I didn't really remember from where I took it.

Regarding the 32k issues I have also suffered from that problem, but I found a nice tool that it is better than the old nvidia dds converter or than the photoshop plugin.

https://github.com/Microsoft/DirectXTex/wiki/Texconv

@jrodriguez

well, thanks about dds tool but i think 32k is still not possible. that tool seems cmd based tool, just for format change. after all, all earth textures have to  be edited. hue, noise, ocean color, glaciers kind of things. furthermore we need alpha map for surface gloss level. i can edit it in 32k resolution using photoshop but can't export to any format having transparency. i already can make 32k raw texture without editing but it's not gonna be that good and also not gonna able to load at ksp. most important, at least as far as i know 21600*10800 texture is highest resolution map can get from nasa. or i have to pay to get fictional map data. im not sure about fictional map's licence or accuracy.

ok im doing Q&A about my texture pack at another guy's topic. i'll release new update of my texture pack soon, so you'll can ask more at there.

Edited by VaNnadin

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2020 at 5:33 AM, VaNnadin said:

@jrodriguez

well, thanks about dds tool but i think 32k is still not possible. that tool seems cmd based tool, just for format change. after all, all earth textures have to  be edited. hue, noise, ocean color, glaciers kind of things. furthermore we need alpha map for surface gloss level. i can edit it in 32k resolution using photoshop but can't export to any format having transparency. i already can make 32k raw texture without editing but it's not gonna be that good and also not gonna able to load at ksp. most important, at least as far as i know 21600*10800 texture is highest resolution map can get from nasa. or i have to pay to get fictional map data. im not sure about fictional map's licence or accuracy.

ok im doing Q&A about my texture pack at another guy's topic. i'll release new update of my texture pack soon, so you'll can ask more at there.

I wasn't able to open or convert any dds over 8k without PS crashing to produce anything usable. Hence I was forced to use non-DDS, do the edits then convert down, each of the 16x16k cube faces for the terrain took 10+ minutes to pack into DDS from large photoshop format lol

5 minutes ago, pingopete said:

I wasn't able to open or convert any dds over 8k without PS crashing to produce anything usable. Hence I was forced to use non-DDS, do the edits then convert down, each of the 16x16k cube faces for the terrain took 10+ minutes to pack into DDS from large photoshop format lol

there is a psb format for large scale image edit. psb and 64bit version of photoshop CC will work. I edited 16K*8K dds texture with more than 10 layers in photoshop and just published texturepack update.

Edited by VaNnadin

1 hour ago, VaNnadin said:

there is a psb format for large scale image edit. psb and 64bit version of photoshop CC will work. I edited 16K*8K dds texture with more than 10 layers in photoshop and just published texturepack update.

Yes I was using that but what I mean is my PS can't open DDS images at 16k or above without crashing, however I can save psb to DDS, I just can't open it after to edit :P

On 1/13/2020 at 1:24 PM, jrodriguez said:

unity isn't able to load single images greater than 16k, so that''s the hard limit afaik for single global terrain maps.

Also thanks for posting that request, I asked around myself but the kop guys said it'd require a new re write of the whole pqs system to get tiled cubes working. Hence my reluctance to continue work on this in ksp1, KSP2 will hopefully bring much greater engine capabilites and I will certainly be keen to try and adapt RVE 64k to it.

As mentioned above, this current method for loading 64k terrain as an EVE cloud layer is horribly hacky and is subsequently plaqued with bugs, but there isn't any other way to get above 16k terrain

Edited by pingopete

16 hours ago, pingopete said:

Yes I was using that but what I mean is my PS can't open DDS images at 16k or above without crashing, however I can save psb to DDS, I just can't open it after to edit :P

unity isn't able to load single images greater than 16k, so that''s the hard limit afaik for single global terrain maps.

Also thanks for posting that request, I asked around myself but the kop guys said it'd require a new re write of the whole pqs system to get tiled cubes working. Hence my reluctance to continue work on this in ksp1, KSP2 will hopefully bring much greater engine capabilites and I will certainly be keen to try and adapt RVE 64k to it.

As mentioned above, this current method for loading 64k terrain as an EVE cloud layer is horribly hacky and is subsequently plaqued with bugs, but there isn't any other way to get above 16k terrain

I use intel's DDS texture support plugin. it should be work. but the best way to support HQ texture is kopernicus cubemap support patch. I heard that some people already requested it so maybe we can wait for it.

actually i don't have tool can make cubemap so I'n not gonna able to make cubemap RSS texture pack even they make cubemap patch tho :/

btw I'm making integration between RSSVE and your RVE64K. I finished 8k cubemap cloudglow texture based by cubemap citylight texture. I can send it to you if you want.

I use RSSVE scatterer texture, (your one is good too but seems over saturated for me. I wish I can mix that two texture and get mean value) . city day texture, customized city night texture, and your cloud layer, custom cloudglow layer, custom citylight, lightning, aurora
and deleted RVE's terrain, cloudshadow(what is this layer?) and RSSVE's cloud and aurora layer. it seems works for now.
why your cloud cfg don't support volume? I pasted RSSVE's one but not working. 

Edited by VaNnadin

16 hours ago, VaNnadin said:

I use intel's DDS texture support plugin. it should be work. but the best way to support HQ texture is kopernicus cubemap support patch. I heard that some people already requested it so maybe we can wait for it.

actually i don't have tool can make cubemap so I'n not gonna able to make cubemap RSS texture pack even they make cubemap patch tho :/

btw I'm making integration between RSSVE and your RVE64K. I finished 8k cubemap cloudglow texture based by cubemap citylight texture. I can send it to you if you want.

I use RSSVE scatterer texture, (your one is good too but seems over saturated for me. I wish I can mix that two texture and get mean value) . city day texture, customized city night texture, and your cloud layer, custom cloudglow layer, custom citylight, lightning, aurora
and deleted RVE's terrain, cloudshadow(what is this layer?) and RSSVE's cloud and aurora layer. it seems works for now.
why your cloud cfg don't support volume? I pasted RSSVE's one but not working. 

Thanks for the link!

I used a mixture of different methods for dividing into cube face, projection, and stitching. Ranging from Photoshop batch scripting, to imagemajik, to space engine cube tools. definitely took a while to get it all figured out but the space engine tool was invaluable for cube faces comprised of hundreds if not thousands of individual squares that needed stitching and is very customizible. 

That sounds nice, although I'm taking a break from modding endevours at the moment as I may be moving to the states for work :) so i have some more pressing priorities right now, I was also working on an ac130 mod for ArmA3.

The cloud shadows cloud layer is a fake shadow layer that is necessary if you want the appearance of the cloud layer casting shadows on the sudo terrain layer, which doesn't receive the true shadows from the EVE system (as it's not actually land, and eve doesn't cast shadows onto cloud layers).

Edited by pingopete

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2020 at 4:16 AM, DAXIN said:

;.;I know where the problem is.some assetPath  ,These are not set right.Now I only have Saturn's rings without happiness.But, it's too late, I'm so sleepy.

Have you solved this problem? It is so annoying to see those plant with a write ring.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.