[WIP][1.7.3] RVE64k

pingopete

So me and a couple others narrowed down the cause of the white atmosphere bug to RVE64k.  Something seems to be changing the default atmospheres of other planets to a white/transparent thing.  Is it easily fixable?  I can provide logs and photos if needed.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

I was kind of frustrated by the new terrain shaders and how they interact with RVE's city lights, so I decided to fix it! After a few weeks of "work" here's what I got! Enjoy, and major credit to @pingopete here, all I did was build on their configs and add a few dds files :P 

https://github.com/Its-Just-Luci/RVE64k/releases/tag/1.1

EDIT: That also should contain the atmosphere patch I made ~6months back, if not shout me out and I can send you my drive link :) cheers!

Edited by ItsJustLuci

On 9/16/2020 at 10:13 PM, ItsJustLuci said:

Hello everyone!

I was kind of frustrated by the new terrain shaders and how they interact with RVE's city lights, so I decided to fix it! After a few weeks of "work" here's what I got! Enjoy, and major credit to @pingopete here, all I did was build on their configs and add a few dds files :P 

EDIT: That also should contain the atmosphere patch I made ~6months back, if not shout me out and I can send you my drive link :) cheers!

I have done some testing with your new city lights and I have found an issue with the DXT format. The format seems to be DXT10 and KSP is failing to load the textures. 

I think since KSP 1.8 only DXT1 and 5 are supported. 

Could you try to convert them to DXT5?

Thanks!

Hello everyone!

Hi, what version of KSP, RSS, EVE etc. is this for?

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/26/2019 at 4:57 PM, pingopete said:

RSS Visual Enhancements (RVE) - 64k is a test project I'm working on that attempts to bring the highest possible level of detail to RealSolarSystem modded KSP.

Utilizing rbray's awesome EVE-overhaul and Scatterer to give NathanKell's RealSolarSystem mod (Earth only) realistic clouds, atmospheres and surface textures based on NASA imagery.

I've been on a 3 year hiatus from KSP, but wanted to have a crack at super high resolution RSS textures again now that more has been done in the way of visual enhancement tools (EVE cubemaps and Scatterer).

ijMZeSM.png

This uses rbray's latest EVE overhauls, and as a result is frequently receiving his updates, this also means it is still very much a WorkInProgress and there are currently too many glitches in RSS to release fully yet, HOWEVER I'm providing the latest state of this EXPERIMENTAL and UNFINISHED project on Github for those who are willing to put up with the many visual glitches until official release.

VERY HEAVY ON GPU LOAD READ BELOW

• DirectX 11 tested only
  • Consider this a cinematic tool only in its current state: Currently only Earth orbit is being worked on and tested, no other planets or even in-atmosphere Earth has been tested or modified.
  • Don't expect average FPS above 30 unless you're rocking an RTX series GPU
  • Test Rig: i7-8700k/GTX 970/16gb ram
  • Ram usage in game: 10-12GB

Main Features:

• 64k Earth Terrain and Borders (down-scaled from 128k)
  • 32k Clouds (with experimental opacity)
  • KS3P Integration (Including Eye Adaptation for Earth's dark side)
  • 64k City Light mask (cutout from terrain saving memory usage).
  • Cloud light pollution
  • Lightning in large storms
  • Auroras

Requirements:

Strongly Recommended/Supported

• KS3P (Eye adaptation on the Earth's dark side so you can see lightning/city lights/auroras)

KS3P COMPATIBILITY INFO: 

1. Install latest official version
  2. Then install this patch
  3. Finally drag and drop RVE64k KS3P configs into KS3P install directory

FAQ's, Known Issues & Fixes:

• My Performance sucks!
    (You're attempting to run over 5billion pixels in textures, in realtime.. in KSP; anything less than a high end gaming rig will struggle)

• I don't have High Res textures while in the atmosphere?
    (This is a consequence of using an EVE cloud layer for ground terrain texture and can't be fixed currently)

• There is no day time ciy texture.. it's just grey?
    (Yep, it's a place holder texture until I can fix some issues with them)

• KS3P Isn't working properly with the RVE64k configs?
    (Make sure to install the patch in the order described above before the RVE64k configs)

• Huge lag spike when initially moving to a vessel in Scaled Space or switching from map view to vessel view
    (switch to map view, zoom out till lag stops, switch back to vessel view)

• Grey patches over land/City lights appear in big blobs/City lights everywhere near to camera
    (Open EVE GUI [R Alt + 0], switch to city configs section, hit apply)

• Terrain is all white
    (Open Scatterer GUI [Alt + F11], hit 'Map Eve Clouds')

Launch Trailer

ar1tylW.gif

Higher Quality Gif

All screenshots below were taken with KS3P unity rendering (RVE64k configs included) mod and Textures Unlimited

bLCe1op.png

yqK453w.png

zVW3lmi.png

XMy4QCy.png

h55Jfn5.png

OJke3zv.png

lBfTeGv.png

8WChDsd.png

GitHub - v0.1 Alpha Release

• Please read the known issues and install instructions before complaining about stuff not working
  • If you see bugs, I probably already know about them

Licence: CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0

got to run this mod on 1.10 with GTX 1060 3 gb ram , HOLY MOTHER best visuals  iv ever seen  but ks3p bugged with the rve configs and made everything almost red , so i guess this mod is dead

On 9/21/2020 at 3:42 PM, D0m1nu2 said:

Hi, what version of KSP, RSS, EVE etc. is this for?

latest. just follow RSS's guidelines and you should be safe

On 9/18/2020 at 2:30 PM, jrodriguez said:

I have done some testing with your new city lights and I have found an issue with the DXT format. The format seems to be DXT10 and KSP is failing to load the textures. 

I think since KSP 1.8 only DXT1 and 5 are supported. 

Could you try to convert them to DXT5?

Thanks!

wym sorry?  I am unfamiliar with what dxt means lol

Edited by ItsJustLuci

11 hours ago, jrodriguez said:

It is not a bug but a KSP limitation. Personally I have deleted that surface cube map because it doesn't make sense to use it only in orbit

can you elaborate a little bit on your manual fix @jrodriguez? do you mean you see the textures you would see from orbit even below the 140km mark for Earth's atmosphere? or am I misinterpreting what you say?

Edited by hypervelocity

On 10/21/2020 at 8:05 AM, Elon Busk said:

got to run this mod on 1.10 with GTX 1060 3 gb ram , HOLY MOTHER best visuals  iv ever seen  but ks3p bugged with the rve configs and made everything almost red , so i guess this mod is dead

well, just  dont use KS3P. I reccomed you to use TUFX since K3SP is broken on 1.8+

2 hours ago, hypervelocity said:

can you elaborate a little bit on your manual fix @jrodriguez? do you mean you see the textures you would see from orbit even below the 140km mark for Earth's atmosphere? or am I misinterpreting what you say?

It is not a fix really, what I have done is to remove the Scaled object for the 64k surface textures because:
1. It does not work if you are flying or landed.
2. It consumes quite a lot of memory for just having some better visual when in orbit.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? ive been trying to get RVE64K to work pretty much since this was released but can never get it fully working

https://imgur.com/GMyJGX4

Ive tried the following steps from the FAQ section: Grey patches over land/City lights appear in big blobs/City lights everywhere near to camera
(Open EVE GUI [R Alt + 0], switch to city configs section, hit apply)

But following these above instructions literally didnt do anything at all. no changes whatsoever. This is really starting to drive me a little nuts so any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Unknown_Linux

Hi @jrodriguez, I'm currently using your visual pack from your December Video upload on Youtube (Looks great btw). Does your pack already incorporate this RVE64? if not is it possible to use RVE64 with it? What would I need to do to install it and have it configured correctly to work alongside RSS/RSSVE? thank you! :)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Uace24 said:

Does this work in 1.8? I know it's probably been answered somewhere, but I'm still asking. 

Very Hard to make this work for 1.8.1 , instead i reccomend evo , which is basically rve 64k with rssve that works even on 1.11

• 3 months later...
On 9/21/2020 at 4:33 PM, D0m1nu2 said:

Hi, you did AMAZING job, but I wanna ask if there's gonna be another version this year?

Ik that's it's really hard to make something like this but it's almost year from Alpha release.

Hi thanks, yeah i kinda gave up as there are so many features involved which have game breaking bugs without additions to the tools used to run this mod. I figured I'd wait until the next game to work on a similar mod

Edited by pingopete

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Trouble with RVE 64k

I'm using KSP 1.7.3(-force-d3d11) with BG and MH, I installed the version from the Steam betas. Scatterer isn't working properly, nor is Eve, both aren't even recognizing the configs located in Gamedata/RVE.  I have tried multiple versions of the mods, all with the same result. I found an update by ItsJustLuci but the link is long dead.  All mod versions are the ones specified in the installation instruction. I dont quite understand why this is happening, it seems that I have done something wrong. Am I required to replace the Configs in EVE/Scatterer with the ones from RVE? Thanks in ahead for any reply. 

Pc Specs:

(I don't think there should be incompatibilities, my Tower is complete overkill for Ksp(and my wallet), but you never know)

-I9-9940x

-Rx-6800xt

-16gb Ram

Edited by A-Aeronautics

Hello everyone!

If you can, please send it to my Email: [email protected]

Thanks in advance!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.