Vessel not controllable after launch from VAB/SPH

Sometimes(approx half to 1/3 the time) when I start a vessel by pressing launch in the VAB or SPH I cant control the vessel at all. I can open the information readouts in the toolbar but I cant input anthing to the vessel. So far I could only fix it by restarting the full game which is annoying bc. starting the game takes approx 5 mins. I havent had it occur launching through the LaunchPad / Runway interface yet. It has just started happening a few days ago.

These are the mods I have installed:

KSP: 1.7.3 (Win64) - Unity: 2017.1.3p1 - OS: Windows 10  (10.0.0) 64bit
B9 Part Switch - 2.10
BetterTimeWarpContinued - 2.3.11.3
Community Resource Pack - 1.1
Contract Configurator - 1.27.1
Contract Pack: Clever Sats - 1.4
Contract Pack: Field Research - 1.2.1
Contract Pack: Giving Aircraft a Purpose - 1.6.1
Contract Pack: Kerbal Academy - 1.1.10
Contract Pack: Bases and Stations - 3.7.1.5
Contract Pack: RemoteTech - 2.1.4
Contract Pack: Tourism Plus - 1.5.2
CustomBarnKit - 1.1.19
Contract Parser - 1.0.8
EVA Struts - 1.0.5
EVA Transfer - 1.0.8.1
ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads - 6.6.1
Community Category Kit - 4.1
KAS - 1.4.7097.36908
KAS - 1.4.7097.36908
KerbalChangelog - 1.1.4
Kerbal Engineer Redux - 1.1.3
HyperEdit - 1.5.8
Kerbal Inventory System - 1.22.7090.200
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.3.1
NearFutureProps - 0.5.1
RealChute - 1.4.7.4
RemoteTech - 1.9.3
DeepFreeze Continued... - 0.26
SETI-Contracts - 1.3
SpaceY Lifters - 1.17.1
StationPartsExpansionRedux - 1.2.1
TAC Life Support - 0.13.13
TimeControl - 2.9.6
Trajectories - 2.2.3
Kerbal Alarm Clock - 3.10
TweakScale - 2.4.3.1
USI Alcubierre Drive - 1.2
Waypoint Manager - 2.7.5

If anyone can help me and knows what the problem is and how to fix it, it would be very much apprciated. Thank you

Hello, and welcome to the forums!  :)

24 minutes ago, marimuff said:

Sometimes(approx half to 1/3 the time) when I start a vessel by pressing launch in the VAB or SPH I cant control the vessel at all. I can open the information readouts in the toolbar but I cant input anthing to the vessel. So far I could only fix it by restarting the full game which is annoying bc. starting the game takes approx 5 mins. I havent had it occur launching through the LaunchPad / Runway interface yet. It has just started happening a few days ago.

These are the mods I have installed:

<long list>

Yes, this is an extremely common problem.  "I have <whole bunch of mods> installed, my game is acting wrong, how do I fix it?"

It usually turns out that one mod is the culprit-- but it's usually fairly unlikely that anyone else would be able to help you (i.e. be able to just look at the list and know the answer) since it's often something to do with the specific configuration on your machine.

Fortunately, there's a straightforward way to address.  The standard solution is:

1. Use process of elimination to work out which mod is causing the problem
  2. Once you've identified which mod it is, go to that mod's release thread and post your question there.  Then you're fairly likely to get an answer.  :)

The process-of-elimination is a bit tedious, but not too bad.  Just do things by halves:  i.e. uninstall half of your mods (doesn't matter which ones) and then try running to see if the problem reproduces.  That'll tell you which half of the list the problem is in.  Then take that half and split it in half, and keep doing that until you narrow it down to one mod.

Yes,  it's kinda tedious, but even if you have literally 1000 mods installed it requires under 10 restarts, and it's basically the only reliable way to pin down the problem.

Good luck!

Thank you for the reply, but I was hoping that there maybe is sbdy. out there with a similar issue and a solution. I know that it is likely there isnt but its worth a shot. Of course I know the process of elimination for troubleshooting but if possible I want to avoid it as reliably testing it is hard and every restart as stated takes a while.

Thanks for the answer anyway, I'll wait another couple days and if nobody has a clue I'll go through the process of troubleshooting. For the mods I installed shortly before it started I checked already.

What Snark was telling you is that it's very unlikely anyone has exactly the same setup -- sometimes, order of installation of your mods makes a difference in how they run (that's why there are instructions for setting up Realism Overhaul and Realistic Progression 1 that specify what to do first, second, and so forth).  Further, how stuff runs can sometimes depend on what OS and what updates you're using, what video drivers are installed, and so forth.

Sad to say, but software, especially complex software, running on a complex system isn't always simple to debug.

Snark isn't just a moderator, but a prolific and talented modder. There are a few things I'd like to add.

Logs may help as may screenshots. More details would as well. You say that this happens about 1/2 - 1/3 of the time, but you don't include any details like what type of vessel (crewed vs uncrewed) or whether you are using the same vessel, etc. You list the mods you have installed, but obviously that's not the full list, You have mods installed that aren't "officially" compatible with KSP 1.7.3. You have KAS listed twice. You have RemoteTech installed, which definitely could effect your ability to control uncrewed vessels.

Ultimately, you may have to go through a process of elimination, as Snark stated, but providing more and more complete information would be helpful regardless.

16 hours ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

it's very unlikely anyone has exactly the same setup

Thank you for answering, but Im sorry, telling somebody who just said himself that its very unlikely he finds a solution that its very unlikely hell find the solution is kind of pointless. I know troubleshooting is most likely necessary but I can try asking if somebody had the same problem. If nobody can help, so be it.

To eightiesboi: I wouldnt ever question anybodies ability in this field as I exactly know my own lack thereof. To the rest: It happens with any type of vessel (crewed/uncrewed, large/small, SPH/VAB) I can exclude the issue coming rom RT bc. the game wont even accept the esc key.

Here's a screenshot of what it looks like: https://imgur.com/a/cEuB1GC

Edited by marimuff
typo

8 hours ago, marimuff said:

the game wont even accept the esc key.

That almost sounds like an input lock is stuck.  Can you open the alt-F12 menu?  If you can, go to item labelled "input Locks" and there should be a white bar across the menu "Clear input locks"   Click that & see if you can do things normally.  Its not a permanent fix - something is causing it to lock, but it may get you going again.

On 10/1/2019 at 4:41 AM, marimuff said:

Thank you for answering, but Im sorry, telling somebody who just said himself that its very unlikely he finds a solution that its very unlikely hell find the solution is kind of pointless. I know troubleshooting is most likely necessary but I can try asking if somebody had the same problem. If nobody can help, so be it.

To eightiesboi: I wouldnt ever question anybodies ability in this field as I exactly know my own lack thereof. To the rest: It happens with any type of vessel (crewed/uncrewed, large/small, SPH/VAB) I can exclude the issue coming rom RT bc. the game wont even accept the esc key.

Here's a screenshot of what it looks like: https://imgur.com/a/cEuB1GC

While the single screenshot helps some, providing logs may help more. The fact that "the game won't even accept the esc key" can mean one of three things (and they aren't mutually exclusive).

1. Something is wrong in your game files. This can usually be fixed by verifying the files (if the game is maintained by Steam) or a variation of file verification.

2. You have a mod incompatibility, which could be caused by: outdated mod, incorrectly installed mod, mod conflict. Providing your logs would help others diagnose this. Providing a partial list of the mods you've installed isn't very helpful.

3. Everything is working as intended, and what you're experiencing is what you SHOULD be experiencing, based on your settings and the mods you've installed. More on this below.

In the screenshot you've provided, that appears to be (based on nothing more than a visual inspection) a crewed vessel. I don't know that it is, because you haven't provided more details; however, if my assumption is correct, it is a crewed vessel that also does not appear to have any crew. If that's true, and you don't have a RT probe core, then I wouldn't expect you to have any control of the vessel, and therefore the game is working as intended. 

You mention that the game won't accept the escape key, but it is clearly accepting mouse clicks, which leads me to believe your problem is more likely related to #2 or #3.  I don't know how or why you excluded RemoteTech, but since that mod most definitely can restrict vessel control, eliminating it as the cause seems premature. 

You came here for help. People are trying to help. Please provide more and more detailed information. Alternatively, try Snark's recommendation (and add to it my own suggestion of verifying the game files); if you eliminate possibilities 1 and 2, then you will know that it is likely to be 3.

I can exclude RT based on the fact that I have flown the exact same vessel time and time before. Also it does work when I stop the game (task manager or just close it through ein toolbar) and then restart it again. It is an unmanned craft with the capability of also carrying kerbals to an orbital station.

I just verified the files and it found 2 faulty files. It seems to be fixed as a second run didnt find anything. Thank you for your help in that regard already. I'll get back to you about it once I can tell if it is fixed now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.