Which are the best players you remember?

Signo

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.

Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.

I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to fly.

Which are the best players you remember and which are the best tricks they pulled out you could remember?

I remember @Kasuha that was last seen around in 2016.

What about you?

EDIT: I remember @Sirine too, she was last seen around in 2016 like @Kasuha. They were usually the end of any debate with the smartest solution possible to any kerbal problem.

Edited by Signo
Sirine

Scott Manley still plays.  Like Tim Dodd (Everyday Astronaut) he regularly posts videos and streams from KSP.

As Signo mentioned, Kasuha was magnificent - Eve return twice in a single launch back when it was almost impossible just to relaunch from there.

The two I have to add are WhackJob - because HUGE machines - and Cupcake for amazing videos (Today I Built A Rocket was probably the first I saw).

I know Scott Manley has already been mentioned twice now, but my most memorable video has to be him using a single large 2.5m tank (the largest in the game at the time) as his only fuel source to travel from Kerbin, to Duna, to Ike, and return to Kerbin.  I don't think you'd be able to do it now, since the way physics works (namely aerodynamics) has changed a ton since then, so have many of the parts, but it is still a pretty cool thing to see.

I rather miss SpootyMan myself. I managed to catch him one night on KSPTV doing the last stream of the night, and one of the other streamers stayed up to commentate with him, and he decided to do a trip to Jool. Threw a rocket together helter skelter, got it into orbit, and then went to the map. He then Babe Ruthed the trajectory to rendezvous with Jool.  Just swing his finger around the orbits and pointed right at the spot where it would be.  The guy knew his rockets, though it might have been Yoda giving him a hand.

I have to say my number 1 inspiration for this game was Macey Dean, with that carrier space battle series he made on youtube.

While he didnt exactly introduce me to KSP or even stock KSP warfare (i sorta came up with that myself after i made my 1st rendezvous attempt which involved both ships colliding fast enough to explode).  That said, he did give me the idea of unguided stock missiles (all of my initial attemots at space warfare involved guided weapons, most of which were pathetically weak.  He also heavily influenced my 1st generation of capital ships i designed for KSP, none were true copies or anything, but they did take alot of visual design elements from them.

My 2nd greatest inspiration was Zekes with his drek series of capital ships, and the creator of my 2nd generation of warships (which stole the interior design philosophy and were actually resistant to weapons fire).  Before him most of my ships used the Macey styled fuel tank/cockpit surrounded by metal (which was useless against AP warheads), Zekes (although im pretty sure he didnt invent the concept), used structural skeleton and created some of the best early KSP vessels from a armor perspective.  Every ship up until the 4th generation (which was maybee 2 years ago or so) used his style in its armor layout, and only the 4th gen is where i started coming out with my own 100% not stolen from someone else armor layouts.

The last military inspiration would be Hatbat, he wasnt so much a engineering/ship design inspiration, but hes (at least imo) one of the best cinematics creators ive ever seen (if you are into military stuff that is).  That kethane series he made was amazing, even though im very sad that he deleted all of the old videos which features one of my super old mods in it :(...

As for 100% non military, i will say that Scott Manley is where i got the vast majority of my early knowledge with regards to interplanetary travel and advanced orbital stuff.  I managed to get a ship into orbit on my own when i began playing KSP (its really not hard to do a very simple orbit if you make something that resembles a real life rocket).  I know hes still here, but he really did help me understand how to do some of the cooler stuff earlyon when i started playing. 

The last guy that i can recall is Vaos (im pretty sure hes still around though), purely because he is the one that got me into SSTOs early on in KSP (my 1st interplanetary ship was actually a SSTO vaguely based on his BSG viper replica).  I learned airhogging from his designs, and he made some beautiful vessels visually (at least really nice for that age's standards where black intakes all over a craft was a thing and there was no aerodynamics that made sense).

Edited by panzer1b

Macey Dean for sure.  That story started as nothing, just a bit of roleplaying, and become something rather exceptional, sincere, and truly touching.  It's one of those pieces of KSP and YouTube history that risks being lost to time.  It would truly be a sad fate if that does, indeed, comes to pass.

Edited by klgraham1013

I don't really watch KSP anymore. The only two people I watched with any regularity are Scott Manley (who barely posts anything KSP on YouTube) and KurtJMac (who you can't really describe as a "best player." Engaging, sure. Fun, you betcha. Interesting, always)

I actually still watch both, and have for half a decade or more, now. But neither one posts KSP content where I watch.

I wasn't around when they were actually made, but I remember kurtjmac's videos being my introduction to KSP. They were excellent, and while he still makes videos, he hasn't made a KSP video since 2015. I hope he'll play KSP 2 in his characteristic style of working it out without tutorials :)

• 4 weeks later...

The best player I remember?

Me, of course.

He does the things that interest me.  He doesn't do the things that bore me (usually).  If I have an idea that I want to try, he's always on board to do it.  He does tend to take long breaks from the game, but they tend to coincide with my varying interest level.  Whenever my interest picks up, he's always ready to go.

Although, over the years, I've probably learned the most from Scott Manley.  But I only watch game videos if I'm trying to learn to do something.  KSP is a game, it's meant to be played.  Where's it become fun to watch someone else play a game, when I could go play the game myself?

Edited by razark

Nassault for making the best ever cinematics which always make me drop a tear

@Stratzenblitz75 for his absolutely brilliant and crazy builds

@EvermoreAlpaca for beating me at Eve :D:sticktongue::sticktongue:

Don't read spoiler, frustrated sarcasm ahead :D

Spoiler

And who was this guy, who is the only one to build a ship which can endlessly reusable travel between and land on all Planets and Moons including Eve? Wasn't this the same who did build the first ever 5 science point SSTO and the first ever fully functional Eve SSTO:sticktongue::sticktongue:

Edited by Kergarin

Surprising that there is no love for EJ_SA in this thread so far.

I'll add my voice to the Macey Dean chorus. I enjoyed his stuff a lot, and I don't usually go for the role-player kind of content. Sad that he's abandoned it, though I do understand why.

Actually, its sad so many of the OG KSP Tubers/Twitchers from years past have moved on from the game. I enjoyed a lot of that content and I honestly don't feel like the stuff being done today quite measures up. Such is life; oh well.

I know this will probably trigger a lot of you, but I've never really been impressed by Scott Manley. I don't dislike him or his content; it just never resonated with me for whatever reason.

• 4 months later...
On 9/30/2019 at 9:33 AM, Piper said:

I know Scott Manley has already been mentioned twice now, but my most memorable video has to be him using a single large 2.5m tank (the largest in the game at the time) as his only fuel source to travel from Kerbin, to Duna, to Ike, and return to Kerbin.  I don't think you'd be able to do it now, since the way physics works (namely aerodynamics) has changed a ton since then, so have many of the parts, but it is still a pretty cool thing to see.

I think strazenblitz would like a word 

No love for abysall lurker?  These might be obsolete now (they were all done with pre 1.0 installations), but the missions were amazing...

https://www.youtube.com/user/ablu444

Another great one who stopped recording is Bob Fitch.  His "Project Alexandria" (a recreation of space from 0-1969 in RSS) was amazing.  I think his Apollo 11 was far too much work for the views (go watch it, it's great) and he stopped soon afterwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZeoHfONUxA&list=PLBhKowDYZ822XxTabtoYup81ZLsrgA4be

Scott Manley doesn't claim to be the best pilot in KSP (and then lands extremely long rockets on their exhaust bell on the Mun, without them falling over).  I didn't know why until I checked out Abysal lurker and others...  He certainly knows his orbital mechanics and space history, and especially keeps the patter on such subjects going during the tedium between burns (which makes his videos so great).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.