I'm officially frustrated. Can't properly use KAL-1000 controllers for axis groups

HotVector

I'm trying to build a SpaceX Starship replica in KSP, and to do that, I used 4 hinges(2 on top, 2 on bottom) and attached aerodynamic surfaces to them, to replicate the Starship wings. I added 3 KSP controllers, for Pitch, Yaw and Roll that moves the wings to change the amount of drag they have to induce those movements. I set them to the Pitch Yaw and Roll axis groups in the Absolute Control Mode. However, when I try to use them in game, only the roll works. How can I make this work properly?

DWuoNQt.png

Hmmmm...

When I try to replicate that - have 3 KAL controllers controlling the "target angle" of the same hinge, and the three KAL controllers in turn have their "play position" set with "absolute control" - then the target angle of said hinge seems to be set to the average of the three controllers.Not necessarily what you want (you don't get full deflection), but probably workable.

Hmmm... The GUI for your KAL track editors looks like you are using an older version. (I have KSP 1.7.3.2594 BG 1.2.0) I guess it'll help if you update to the latest version.

40 minutes ago, AHHans said:

Hmmmm...

When I try to replicate that - have 3 KAL controllers controlling the "target angle" of the same hinge, and the three KAL controllers in turn have their "play position" set with "absolute control" - then the target angle of said hinge seems to be set to the average of the three controllers.Not necessarily what you want (you don't get full deflection), but probably workable.

Hmmm... The GUI for your KAL track editors looks like you are using an older version. (I have KSP 1.7.3.2594 BG 1.2.0) I guess it'll help if you update to the latest version.

I updated my kerbal and it works! Thanks a lot! Do you know any way I can make it go completely in one direction?

3 hours ago, HotVector said:

Do you know any way I can make it go completely in one direction?

Not having multiple KAL controlers trying to control the same hinge?

Have the Pitch, Yaw and Roll controllers not control the hinges directly, but control the play position of another (per hinge!) KAL controller. This "Hinge-translation" controller needs to have a track length of 1 (second, but that doesn't matter here), and then you can mat the input range of 0.33 -- 0.66 to the full angle range of the hinge.
(O.K. I'm tired. If that doesn't make sense, then ask me again tomorrow...)

P.S. Hmmmm... Ah, no, you cannot program conditional jumps. So no Turing complete computer from KAL-1000s.

Edited by AHHans
Added P.S.

19 hours ago, HotVector said:

Any way to work around this using kOS or something similar?

i.e., making my own KAL-1000? Can kOS control Breaking Ground parts?

kOS has some difficulty controlling Breaking Ground's robotic parts for mainly this reason:

- One thing SQUAD did during KSP 1.7.x in support of Breaking Ground's Robot parts was to reduce wasted calculation time by sometimes having a values in Part Action Windows only get recalculated when the Part Action Window is actually open.  If the window isn't open, nobody can see the number anyway, so why bother updating it?  But these fields on the window are generic KSPFields, which is the usual way kOS allows you to access any generic module on any generic part.  So when kOS tries to read, for example, a robotic piston's current extension position, the value it returns is whatever stale value it had the last time you had that Part Action Window open, not the value it has now.  I do not know a means to "kick" the stock KSP into updating the number when the window is closed.  It seems things only work if you leave all the PAWs open for all the servos you intend to work with.

But other than that (being unable to read the number that tells you where the servo's position is), it does let you move the servo's target position.  It's just that after issuing the command, you can't when it finally gets there because you can't read its position.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.