Attaching things to a shielded docking port in the editor

A_name

Anyone have a workaround for attaching stuff to a shielded docking port in the editor? I mean the nose mounted one, not the inline. When you unshroud it in the editor it doesn't give you an attachment node. Can this be changed in the config or something?

You can do it either by editing the config, or, preferably, with a module manager patch.  (Same effect, but doesn't require modifying original files).

To use the patch, simply copy the text into a text editor, and save the file somewhere in your GameData directory.  I suggest a separate folder for your own patches.  The file can be called anything, but must have a .cfg file extension.

Also make sure you have ModuleManager installed.

Note that this will make the node always be there, not just when the shield is open.

Here's the patch.

@PART[dockingPort1]
{
    node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.33, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
    @attachRules = 1,1,1,1,0
}

I'm also going to move this to add-on discussions since it requires modifying the game.

32 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

You can do it either by editing the config, or, preferably, with a module manager patch.  (Same effect, but doesn't require modifying original files).

To use the patch, simply copy the text into a text editor, and save the file somewhere in your GameData directory.  I suggest a separate folder for your own patches.  The file can be called anything, but must have a .cfg file extension.

Also make sure you have ModuleManager installed.

Note that this will make the node always be there, not just when the shield is open.

Here's the patch.

@PART[dockingPort1]
{
    node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.33, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
    @attachRules = 1,1,1,1,0
}

I'm also going to move this to add-on discussions since it requires modifying the game.

Thanks!

I think adding that node would also add more drag to the part whenever used unconnected. What I typically do when I want a normal docking port attached to the shielded one is attach the normal docking point to something else and drag it to where it would be if properly docked. When launching the craft, I'd decouple that node, and it instantly docks to the shielded one.

6 hours ago, kerbnub said:

I think adding that node would also add more drag to the part whenever used unconnected. What I typically do when I want a normal docking port attached to the shielded one is attach the normal docking point to something else and drag it to where it would be if properly docked. When launching the craft, I'd decouple that node, and it instantly docks to the shielded one.

It feels like I run into this a lot (I love the shielded, but they're impractical sometimes for this reason...and I'm not really interested in making a patch.)

I'm wondering with your solution, you have to open the shield though first right before undocking, correct? it won't connect shielded, or will it connect that way when it loads?

On 9/30/2019 at 11:03 PM, Geonovast said:

So with this type of patch, does that allow you to dock to it even unshielded? or the node only affects the part (i.e. visible and active) in the editor?

Edited by scottadges

6 hours ago, kerbnub said:

I think adding that node would also add more drag to the part whenever used unconnected. 

Open nodes do not add drag.  The aero system has not worked that way for a long time.

4 minutes ago, scottadges said:

So with this type of patch, does that allow you to dock to it even unshielded? or the node only affects the part (i.e. visible and active) in the editor?

I'm pretty sure the answer is 'no', but I'll have to try some testing.

1 hour ago, Geonovast said:

I'm pretty sure the answer is 'no', but I'll have to try some testing.

Thanks for your comment. I would expect that it wouldn't allow extraneous docking, as well (since the nodes work for the Editor, but not outside). Just got me thinking, since it's a custom patch, maybe some unexpected (additional) functionality there? :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.