KSP Loading... 1.8 Preview: Service Bays Revamp

St4rdust

On 10/11/2019 at 8:20 PM, schwank said:

Yoo when is this update coming already!?!??!?!??!?! I'm dying over here

Might I suggest a hospital visit then? I mean, I know I’m very excited for 1.8 (mostly because I’m ram limited in dx9), but if you’re dying then that might be a slightly higher priority. ;) 

edit: wait.. is it dying or dieing? I’ve always confused such words (sue vs sew), but if you’re just having fun with colors then that’s fine. 

Edited by Jognt

23 hours ago, Jognt said:

Might I suggest a hospital visit then? I mean, I know I’m very excited for 1.8 (mostly because I’m ram limited in dx9), but if you’re dying then that might be a slightly higher priority. ;) 

edit: wait.. is it dying or dieing? I’ve always confused such words (sue vs sew), but if you’re just having fun with colors then that’s fine. 

it's dying

On 10/12/2019 at 7:41 PM, Jognt said:

What has stamping something out with a die to do with colors?

OMG! "dying", "dieing", "dyeing" who decided that using English as the new lingua franca was a good idea?

Edited by AHHans

35 minutes ago, AHHans said:

OMG! "dying", "dieing", "dyeing" who decided that using English as the new lingua franca was a good idea?

That’s two too many to comprehend!

Oh right, the topic.... I’ve stopped playing KSP until 1.8 comes out, so they better release it quick to get me playing again!

Edited by StrandedonEarth

58 minutes ago, Boyster said:

I am getting so anxious about 1.8 :D .

So many features and also the anxiety about my favourites mods if they will still work/get updated.

This might be the first time i opt out of an update to see what goes on.

Always copy out the versions of KSP.  It'll be at least a month before enough major mods are upgraded so the new version is effectively unplayable for a month after its release.

2 hours ago, Jacke said:

Always copy out the versions of KSP.  It'll be at least a month before enough major mods are upgraded so the new version is effectively unplayable for a month after its release.

I am on steam i can just just select which version i want to play from the library->properties:) . As long you keep your regular backup everything should be fine without even changing something.

Edited by Boyster

16 hours ago, Boyster said:

I am on steam i can just just select which version i want to play from the library->properties:) . As long you keep your regular backup everything should be fine without even changing something.

In my experience no, not ever.

I take at copy and save outside Steams reach.

And normally I play that one.

I never d

57 minutes ago, Curveball Anders said:

In my experience no, not ever.

I take at copy and save outside Steams reach.

And normally I play that one.

Hmm i might follow your advice since this will be the first time i might opt out a major update.I never done it before.

23 hours ago, AHHans said:

I didn't think about dieing. it's like die casting. Not sure it is correct that dying is death. I think the entire thing is mistaken and dieing is used twice for the same thing. That or it is british english. People keep pushing that like on everything. Dieing is death in american english. Dying is not death in american english.

Or maybe dying is the correct word... Either way.

BTW, have we had any heads up on 1.8 release yet? Any hints, suggestions, odd behaviors from devs?

Edited by Arugela

1 hour ago, Arugela said:

I didn't think about dieing. it's like die casting. Not sure it is correct that dying is death. I think the entire thing is mistaken and dieing is used twice for the same thing. That or it is british english. People keep pushing that like on everything. Dieing is death in american english. Dying is not death in american english.

Or maybe dying is the correct word... Either way.

BTW, have we had any heads up on 1.8 release yet? Any hints, suggestions, odd behaviors from devs?

Yeah if you guys are this worried about grammar I think you need a 1.8 update more badly than I do! Lol

Edited by schwank

33 minutes ago, Arugela said:

Given they just did that loading screen contest. I'm hoping that means very soon.

I NEED PERFORMANCE UPDATES!!!!!!!!1

That one likely added at least 2 more days, maybe 3.

Maybe a fun beta version so it can be bug tested.

6 hours ago, Jacke said:

That one likely added at least 2 more days, maybe 3.

I can do far far worse!! ><

You are only giving me something to do!

Edited by Arugela

These new service bays have their uses but they are a totally different part. It's much more than a reskin. 

I'm thinking the old ones were more useful, for things like popping your craft off the ground on Mun or other low-G situation, and as an airbrake/bootleg wings for re-entry. 

These new ones look cool but have lost some of that multi-purpose functionality. 

PS the old ones are still in the VAB under Variant Themes in advanced.

Edited by schwank

13 hours ago, schwank said:

I'm thinking the old ones were more useful, for things like popping your craft off the ground on Mun or other low-G situation, and as an airbrake/bootleg wings for re-entry. 

These new ones look cool but have lost some of that multi-purpose functionality.

I honestly haven't noticed any difference whatsoever. The doors when open still produce massive amounts of drag, just as they did before and it pretty much is still just as resilient against heat and impacts.

1 minute ago, GrandProtectorDark said:

I honestly haven't noticed any difference whatsoever. The doors when open still produce massive amounts of drag, just as they did before and it pretty much is still just as resilient against heat and impacts.

I haven't tested the drag/lift but I tested the "pop" off the floor and the old one wins that contest. I'll try bringing it to Minmus and test there but it was clearly less force. It clears less ground that's probably why. Which has it's use cases..

• 1 month later...
On 10/2/2019 at 9:16 PM, Barzon said:

nice, but not as good as ReStock. This is your job, put some effort in. If a group of volunteers on the internet can out do you, you're doing something wrong.

Agreed, Squad should unify the parts in one update instead of having this middleground like right now where it's just a big jumble of old placeholders and new parts, and some other new parts that don't have variants for some reason, like the S4 fuel tank series.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.