Navigation tools

TinfoilChef

I'm new here so please excuse me if this is in the wrong place.

Is there a mod or mods that allow a "pilot's eye view" with an actual H.U.D. similar to the kind of thing used in Orbiter?

I've also been looking for informational mods that would act like MultiFunction Displays that can present information and be used in navigation. Again referring to Orbiter, things like Orbit mfd, Align plane mfd, transfer mfd, & so on. I know that MechJeb can provide most of the information that orbit mfd does (though just for the ship and not for a target object) but what about nav aids that are not intended to simply do the flying for me?

Another question is just how does one navigate without resorting to the map view other than just looking for something to appear on the horizon and then burning for it? I've seen talk of calculating courses, angles, burn times and such but the discussions always pretty much assume that the reader already knows what they're talking about. I'm familiar with some of this but in the Kerbol system I have yet to find any kind of frame of reference to start calculations from.

Finally, what about time? So far the only thing I see about that is Mission Elapsed Time, which of course is different for every flight. Is there a date / time system for Kerbin? It seems to me it's especially necessary for figuring out flight plans for the interplanetary flights that I understand will be possible in 0.17

as far as first person, the next patch will be introducing the early stages of it, we may eventually gain more naivigation tools there.

some people have been able to do the math before launch and navigate soly by procedure after ignition without using the map, but they spent more time on the math then using the map would have ever taken so its preference at best.

Flight Engineer displays information http://www.kerbal.net/mod.php?id=16 or the forum thread http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/showthread.php/18230-0-16-Kerbal-Engineer-Redux-v0-3-%288-Sep%29 but like mechjeb it doesn't have the other things you mentioned.

Thanks a ton for that!! I just looked at that thread and it displays some of the information I've been wanting to know.. like thrust to weight ratios and how much delta-v a ship or stages of a ship have. It's going to be a huge help in designing ships that actually work. Especially since I installed the fuel bug hotfix the other day. suddenly even just getting into orbit isn't nearly so easy

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.