Sign in to follow this  
iwinFTW

Hinges and docking ports

Hello,

I don't know if this has been asked and answered. I couldn't find anything when searching but any way, does hinge a structure to meet with a docking port work? I have tried different ports and way to hinge the structures to meet and it seem the port never engages. Is this even possible or does the mechanics of the hinges and ports not work? I will work up a few pictures of what i mean if this isn't clear.

Thanks,

-Win

Some images would help me, anyway. :) 

Hey there. I've never docked with a port attached tirectly to a hinge and only a hinge, but I have used robotic arms to dock. Specifically, one of my space station uses a hinge and piston to extend and point a docking port at incoming spacecraft. One of those crafts, an SSTO, also uses a robotic arm of its own configured similarly to reach out and dock with the space station. With that in mind I'm pretty sure it's possible, if only a bit janky.

So that is kind of what i was thinking but more for a fixed piece like a folding KSS arm. I have tried some test on the ground but I'm not sure if it is working. Didn't know if anyone has had any luck with it.

KfP41tE.png

vg6gIg2.png

I don't know about docking ports attached to hinges, but attached to pistons they can be a bit on the floppy side.

I used that set up on an aircraft that carried a rover in it's belly, that was deployed by extending the piston.

xDxxMz1.jpg

When in flight the rover would wobble around a fair bit, not so much that it interferred with the flight, but the wheels would poke through the fuselage from time to time.

Switching to the view from the rover inflight was a bit more dramatic.

rCPq5L8.jpg

Those wheels are the those on the bottom of the rover that the view is from, so some kind of dimensional distortion was in play obviously :)

That is an awesome idea, I have just been building crazy space stations in sandbox. I'm going to switch back to career soon.

Moved to Breaking Ground Discussion.