Multiplayer cooperative adventures

GoldForest

I know there's a multiplayer thread already, but that's talking about every aspect of multiplayer. 

This thread is to discuss specifically the various ideas, adventures and shenanigans you will have with your buddies be it for fun or possibly a YouTube series.

Some ideas of mine:

-Aerial Refueling: Always wanted to try this in KSP, but with MP it's pretty much impossible.

-Stratolauncher: Technically this is possible in KSP 1, but you have to sacrifice the plane if you choose to play a stock game. Having someone fly the plane back would be good, especially in Career mode where you can save the plane and the money.

-Falcon 9 booster recovery: Just like Stratolauncher, impossible to due without mods.

-Demolition Dirby: Raming each other until one vvictor stands.

-Saturn-Soyuz: While possible alone in KSP 1, would be better to have two people doing it.

2 hours ago, Robonoise said:

A space battle with BD armory lasers with one of us defending Dre’s and the other Duna. We set up a base on each planet and see who can conquer the others.

I can already see a ton of damage that can be dealt with this. Imagine all the Interplanetary Ships, fighters, carriers, FOBs, and NUCLEAR MISSILES (with orion drive/nukes for the drive)!

Edited by Xd the great

9 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

I can already see a ton of damage that can be dealt with this. Imagine all the Interplanetary Ships, fighters, carriers, FOBs, and NUCLEAR MISSILES (with orion drive/nukes for the drive)!

A nuclear powered nuclear missile... wow. 

I have 13 friends on Steam that own KSP.  Not one of them actually plays it; they weren't able to get past the lolsplosions part of the game. I suppose they weren't bitten by the inspiration bug enough to want to learn more.  They also all bought it in like 2014 for super cheap, when it was far less flushed out than it is today.  I don't think I'll be using the Multiplayer features of KSP 2 at all.

1 hour ago, klesh said:

I have 13 friends on Steam that own KSP.  Not one of them actually plays it; they weren't able to get past the lolsplosions part of the game. I suppose they weren't bitten by the inspiration bug enough to want to learn more.  They also all bought it in like 2014 for super cheap, when it was far less flushed out than it is today.  I don't think I'll be using the Multiplayer features of KSP 2 at all.

What's your thoughts on a bit of open multiplayer trading. Eve lite if you will. 

Edited by mindstalker

3 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

It's kind of funny that the first thing people start discussing with multiplayer is blowing each other up. 

Well, what can I say? Kerbals like space, there’s aught to be a disagreement every once and a while.

I don't see myself ending up doing anything beyond rescuing stranded survivors left by my incompetent friends in various places... right outside Kerbin. Doubt they'd manage to get further. :P

Other than that in an ideal world where I'd have a bunch of friends and they all had a measurable degree of skill I'd love to operate a giant spaceport they can visit! Build landing platforms just because it looks cool even if there's no gravity, extend some docking arms for bulkier contraptions, maybe even set up some shielded hangars and stuff. Sprinkle captured asteroids around for decoration.

Oh, also it would be fun to build a huge race track around a colony, have players duke it out in nuclear powered rovers, all dirty tricks allowed!

15 minutes ago, Rejected Spawn said:

Oh, also it would be fun to build a huge race track around a colony, have players duke it out in nuclear powered rovers, all dirty tricks allowed!

Now I think I think I’ll let Jeb try pod racing.

3 hours ago, Rejected Spawn said:

Other than that in an ideal world where I'd have a bunch of friends and they all had a measurable degree of skill I'd love to operate a giant spaceport they can visit! Build landing platforms just because it looks cool even if there's no gravity, extend some docking arms for bulkier contraptions, maybe even set up some shielded hangars and stuff. Sprinkle captured asteroids around for decoration.

I have a feeling my friend will crash a ship into it "accidentally".

3 hours ago, Rejected Spawn said:

Request permission to blow up entire colony with nukes.

On 10/5/2019 at 11:01 PM, shdwlrd said:

It's kind of funny that the first thing people start discussing with multiplayer is blowing each other up. 

Just like the base game has people like this:

On 10/5/2019 at 5:17 PM, klesh said:

Not one of them actually plays it; they weren't able to get past the lolsplosions part of the game.

The same is valid for multiplayer, most people can't see anything past the lolsplosions, even if they can with the single player base game.

For my part, if possible, I'm going to run a private whitelisted server for a bunch of friends, the first one that make something deliberately explode or develop any kind of weapon is going to loose his place in the whitelist.

4 hours ago, Master39 said:

For my part, if possible, I'm going to run a private whitelisted server for a bunch of friends, the first one that make something deliberately explode or develop any kind of weapon is going to loose his place in the whitelist.

And then he will make his own private server,(if it's even a thing) and have explosive fun in there. I can't see why we can't have both.

28 minutes ago, OutOfAblator said:

And then he will make his own private server,(if it's even a thing) and have explosive fun in there. I can't see why we can't have both.

Because some people like to have actual missions and roleplay within their server and not have someone messing it up by crashing their rocket into a space station and nuking it with the Orion drive.

I

2 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Because some people like to have actual missions and roleplay within their server and not have someone messing it up by crashing their rocket into a space station and nuking it with the Orion drive.

I didn't mean to have both in the same server, but there can be both "roleplay" servers and "lolsplosions" servers

Hey @GoldForest maybe it would be better to title the thread Your Multiplayer Co-op Adventures* to put emphasis on the wonderful individuality of our dreams about enjoying the game with our undoubtedly morally upstanding and competent friends?

* Acronym similarity to anything ever is totally super coincidental and unintended, any ancient pop song that may be playing in your head is your own responsibility and totally unrelated to the intents and purposes of this post, you are hereby also informed that the cake is a lie and you should do a barrel roll after you add moar boosters.

2 hours ago, OutOfAblator said:

For the same reason I wouldn't play Portal2 coop with someone that kills me everytime, KSP it's not a war game and it sucks when you try to use it as one.

There are plenty of better options if you just want to fight. 

I could see an interstellar war simulated in KSP as being fairly interesting, actually.  Not always what I'd want, but I could see it being both fun and educational.

But that's a bit different than just lolsplosions - you'd have to start in places far enough apart for both sides to be able to sustain significant infrastructure before they reach each other. 

41 minutes ago, Curveball Anders said:

Those two words simply doesn't go together in my book.

I can see that point of view - my main thought is that while I know of a lot of thought-experiments about interstellar war exist, and there are games about it, the games typically assume some science-fantasy tech, and the thought experiments have nothing to base themselves on.

Multiplayer KSP would sit in an interesting place to actually be able to test some of those thought experiments.

3 minutes ago, DStaal said:

I can see that point of view - my main thought is that while I know of a lot of thought-experiments about interstellar war exist, and there are games about it, the games typically assume some science-fantasy tech, and the thought experiments have nothing to base themselves on.

Multiplayer KSP would sit in an interesting place to actually be able to test some of those thought experiments.

I can see that point of view too.

But I can't see any reason to add conflict (besides our common conflict against physics) to the mix.

If you want to experience armed conflict, join the functions of your society that are dedicated to that.