How can we make a variable sweep wings

• 2 weeks later...

Was wondering about this myself.

First: we definitely can, and they actually work.

peqkBLp.png

Hp9Cq5S.png

As you can see, I've used F-12 servos and swept wings. The angles on servos: -25 (full swept back) and 30 (straight). I set angle limit from -25 to 30, and then made a track in controller that moves servos from -25 to 30 in five seconds. I then mapped two action keys: one sets controller to play forward and play (set wings to straight) and the other one sets controller to play backward and play (set wings to full swept).

Second: this thing is rather finicky, just like variable-sweep wings IRL. They are quite prone to wobble, especially at transonic speeds and\or hard turns. Locking servos help, but not always. Unfortunately, there is no known way to make them automatic. I'll try to play with dampening setting on servos, but I doubt it will work properly.

Edited by biohazard15

18 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

Was wondering about this myself.

First: we definitely can, and they actually work.

peqkBLp.png

Hp9Cq5S.png

As you can see, I've used F-12 servos and swept wings. The angles on servos: -25 (full swept back) and 30 (straight). I set angle limit from -25 to 30, and then made a track in controller that moves servos from -25 to 30 in five seconds. I then mapped two action keys: one sets controller to play forward and play (set wings to straight) and the other one sets controller to play backward and play (set wings to full swept).

Second: this thing is rather finicky, just like variable-sweep wings IRL. They are quite prone to wobble, especially at transonic speeds and\or hard turns. Locking servos help, but not always. Unfortunately, there is no known way to make them automatic. I'll try to play with dampening setting on servos, but I doubt it will work properly.

Thx but actually what mod I need to install or use which parts?

Yes, it can be done.

That being said, If it were possible to have strong variable wings, you’d see them on basically every SSTO...

Problem is with movable parts is that they don't stand up to aero forces very well. Specifically, all of the loading force is applied directly to the joint. Which during hard turns or high velocities tends to separate (rip) themselves from the craft. Worse yet, these parts may oscillate or wiggle about as the stress on them increase. Making controlling the craft more and more difficult as the velocity or degree of Orientation change increases.

Even if aero forces were not an issue, the thermal heating would be. I could be wrong but dont recall the moveable parts having that great of a thermal range.

1 hour ago, Redacted said:

Yes, it can be done.

That being said, If it were possible to have strong variable wings, you’d see them on basically every SSTO...

Problem is with movable parts is that they don't stand up to aero forces very well. Specifically, all of the loading force is applied directly to the joint. Which during hard turns or high velocities tends to separate (rip) themselves from the craft. Worse yet, these parts may oscillate or wiggle about as the stress on them increase. Making controlling the craft more and more difficult as the velocity or degree of Orientation change increases.

Even if aero forces were not an issue, the thermal heating would be. I could be wrong but dont recall the moveable parts having that great of a thermal range.

The reason they don't have a thermal range is because they're not designed for any purpose where heating is even relevant. Aerodynamic pressure is much earlier a problem than heat. Quit frankly: if aerodynamic pressure wouldn't make it useless, the heat problem would be easily tackled. (not much difficult than static parts).

Edited by paul23

9 hours ago, paul23 said:

The reason they don't have a thermal range is because they're not designed for any purpose where heating is even relevant. Aerodynamic pressure is much earlier a problem than heat. Quit frankly: if aerodynamic pressure wouldn't make it useless, the heat problem would be easily tackled. (not much difficult than static parts).

I get that about the intent of the parts but the problem will always be that players will try to use parts beyond their original intended scope. Even if parts were used within their scope of intent, somethings are just not doable. Either the game mechanics don't support it or their are controllability issues. 

Case-in-point, try making a “realistic” quadcopter when manipulating each motors torque / lift to manage the crafts orientation. Far as i can tell, no one has pulled this off yet simply because the control groups are not capable of managing the motors in this way. Sure, the motors can be assigned to a throttle group but manipulating each axis without SAS has proven elusive. 

Closest i have come has been to change each propellers attack angle while the motor speed remains constant. Even then, this was only managed for Pitch, not Roll but Prop angle does nothing for Yaw. Speeding motors up just takes too long to respond to a pilots Yaw input. Best i can figure is the “brake” a set of the diagonal motors to create Yaw torque but this would come at the loss of lift. Keep in mind that a true quadcopter can Yaw without the loss of altitude or effecting the other axis.

Edited by Redacted

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.