can you ending support windows xp and vista

svcino

39 minutes ago, Wirelex said:

ending support for windows xp and vista?

The 32 bit version of KSP is no longer being produced, so the 64 bit might not be able to run on older OS's if they are only 32 bit.    The 32 bit versions are still available for download from the KSP store IIRC.

On 10/7/2019 at 2:05 AM, Dragon01 said:

Both XP and Vista had 64bit versions, IIRC. The one for XP wasn't particularly common, though.

Minimum reqirement for KSP is 64 bit Windows 7, I assume an 64 bit Visa would work, as its mostly an beta of win 7. 

64 bit XP is a bit weird, its an 64 bit version of windows server 2003 who had removed server functionality making it like xp again. 
This was needed at power users back then needed more than 4GB memory. 
Still 32 bit installs was pretty common for Vista as most had just 1-2 GB

The minimum listed on Steam is Windows 7 64-bit.

Vista and earlier already no longer get security updates from Microsoft and running them should be considered unsafe. Many people and indeed major organizations have ignored this advice and suffered major losses because of it. Windows 7 is going the same way in just a few months time.

Just now, cantab said:

The minimum listed on Steam is Windows 7 64-bit.

Vista and earlier already no longer get security updates from Microsoft and running them should be considered unsafe. Many people and indeed major organizations have ignored this advice and suffered major losses because of it. Windows 7 is going the same way in just a few months time.

Yeah, also, there was a free upgrade, people who didn't take it I honestly don't understand.

Other than programs not working. Flight Simulator was a big one, but even that's been fixed ( sorta)

IT organizations have a hard time of it when it comes to upgrades.  They have to test everything they support internally against the new version, and make it work (by hook or by crook).  It's often the case that they'll put off upgrading as long as they can because of this, and large organizations have been known to pay out large fees to software vendors to continue some level of support for another year or two.

3 hours ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

IT organizations have a hard time of it when it comes to upgrades.  They have to test everything they support internally against the new version, and make it work (by hook or by crook).  It's often the case that they'll put off upgrading as long as they can because of this, and large organizations have been known to pay out large fees to software vendors to continue some level of support for another year or two.

No doubt. Me and 3 cohorts finished a 75 machine reload/replace upgrade in March to get rid of all the windows 7 boxes on the network. That was hell.

I was just thinking about this today, as I was helping a co-worker (who, at 70, isn't the most computer literate person) get a bookmark from his IE into his Chrome, one that got missed in the wholesale import when we got him to start using Chrome.  Thinking about how nobody should still be running any version of IE, and there's no good reason to do so as more and more web sites are no longer serving non-standards-compliant code specific to IE.

We're on Windows 10, in theory (running in a virtual machine hundreds of miles away, accessed by graphics terminal), and they've already turned our email over to MS by putting us on Outlook Web App (resulting in three interface changes in the past year -- that in itself must be a support nightmare).  So why wouldn't they dump IE and switch everyone to either Chrome (which we have an an option, at present) or Edge (which I might have used, once, as it's on my laptop's Windows, which I hardly use)?  The only reason I can come up with IT inertia.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.