Issues I have with the release date

So something that bugs me. Ksp2 is set to release for pc in spring of 2020 and console “soon after”. 

How much is soon after tho?

When ksp 1 was released on PS4 and Xbox the developers treated us like second class to the point the PS4 version is a year behind in development. That’s what scares me about ksp2 is that we console players will be treated the same way.

It would be better if they pushed the release date back for pc and released all 3 versions at the same time so that when updates come out we are on the same wavelength. 

Edit before anyone says just get it on pc...unless you are willing to purchase a better pc for me because I can’t run it on my laptop and the fact that I have bills to pay don’t make that suggestion 

Edited by War Eagle 1

19 minutes ago, War Eagle 1 said:

(...) Edit before anyone says just get it on pc...unless you are willing to purchase a better pc for me because I can’t run it on my laptop and the fact that I have bills to pay don’t make that suggestion 

Star Theory has bills to pay too, it doesn’t make sense for them to have a marketable, finished product on the shelf without selling it.

3 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

Star Theory has bills to pay too, it doesn’t make sense for them to have a marketable, finished product on the shelf without selling it.

While that’s true they should have started development on all 3 from the start. 

But sense they are going with the route of pc first then console when console is released it needs to be on the same update level as the pc addition 

7 hours ago, War Eagle 1 said:

When ksp 1 was released on PS4 and Xbox the developers treated us like second class

It's not Squad treating console players as second class, it's the console themselves that are second class hardware. 

I don't want to start a console VS PC argument but nowdays consoles are capable of playing mainstream AAA titles with fancy graphics only because said games have sacrificed any meaningful CPU-intensive interaction with the environment.

Because of this the AAA market is filled with narrative-focused games in which the only innovation is always related to the graphics while in (non scripted) environment interaction the top is still represented by Valve Source games (HL, Portal) or by Bethesda Creation Engine stuff (the various Elder Scrolls or Fallouts).

The console version is just harder to develop and has a smaller audience.

6 hours ago, War Eagle 1 said:

But sense they are going with the route of pc first then console when console is released it needs to be on the same update level as the pc addition 

you get that porting a game requires extra steps and the game is primarily focused for pc, right?

you get to play games on the cheap already, why not just be happy theyre bothering to release on console at all...

7 hours ago, War Eagle 1 said:

That's a lot harder, a lot slower, a lot riskier, and a lot more expensive. 

Big AAA studios have teams working on all target platforms simultaneously. Star Theory isn't a big AAA studio. They simply don't have the resources. Small teams have to pick a target platform, develop on that, then port it to the other target platforms (or outsource the port to someone else). 

Sadly that's just how it works. Sometimes the console is the primary target platform and PC gamers have to wait, sometimes it's the other way around. You can grouse about it but there it is.

Think of it this way:  If the console version comes out far enough behind the PC version, then some major and minor bugs (in the PC version) may have been squashed.  These fixes can then be implemented into the console version prior to release, and you'll never have to deal with them.  In short, think of the PC release as QA testing for console.:P  

OTOH, there may end up being console-exclusive bugs, but that's neither here nor there.

5 hours ago, MaxxQ said:

Think of it this way:  If the console version comes out far enough behind the PC version, then some major and minor bugs (in the PC version) may have been squashed.  These fixes can then be implemented into the console version prior to release, and you'll never have to deal with them.  In short, think of the PC release as QA testing for console.:P  

OTOH, there may end up being console-exclusive bugs, but that's neither here nor there.

If that were true consoles would no longer have the kraken glitch like pc

12 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

you get that porting a game requires extra steps and the game is primarily focused for pc, right?

you get to play games on the cheap already, why not just be happy theyre bothering to release on console at all...

“Let then eat cake”- Marie Antoinette

34 minutes ago, War Eagle 1 said:

If that were true consoles would no longer have the kraken glitch like pc

PC still gets visits from the Kraken.  I see posts about it almost daily in the KSP subreddit.

Edit:  In fact, I had a kraken attack my refueling station a few weeks ago, and I'm running 1.7.3 with KJR

Edited by MaxxQ

1 hour ago, MaxxQ said:

PC still gets visits from the Kraken.  I see posts about it almost daily in the KSP subreddit.

Edit:  In fact, I had a kraken attack my refueling station a few weeks ago, and I'm running 1.7.3 with KJR

Visits or long term stays. Watch some of manly maniac as well as my live streams on PS4 and see how often we get them on PS4 

On 10/6/2019 at 9:02 PM, War Eagle 1 said:

Money, money, money... that would require extra developers. It makes more sense to use the developers who are already familiar with the product, once there is downtime in the PC development cycle.

Developers are a limited resource pool, you can’t just do everything at once and stay in business.

On 10/6/2019 at 8:32 PM, War Eagle 1 said:

Ksp2 is set to release for pc in spring of 2020 and console “soon after”. 

How much is soon after tho?

Considering we don't even know when KSP2 is releasing on PC, what makes you think ANYONE (including anyone from Star Theory) can even take a reasonable guess at that?

7 hours ago, Harry Rhodan said:

It's a game, a luxury item. There's no bread withheld from you, it already is cake.

But if the cake is bad is it worth buying?

8 hours ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

KSP is a PC game first and foremost; i would just be happy that a console release is happening at all and move on from there.

So if I get a crap version on console while pc players get a good version that’s fair to u?

You should be glad. We test the game and you get a more polished version. 

Look at gtav and rdr2. Pc players have to wait 1 year but the end product is simply better.

Updates for your pcs are easier to release because of PlayStation network. Besides that the 2 versions will have different changes in the updates besides game balance. Nothing will change. Console ksp is a second class game too. Its good that as many people get access to this great game as possible but it's simply not a console game. 

3 hours ago, War Eagle 1 said:

So if I get a crap version on console while pc players get a good version that’s fair to u?

What's fair got to do with it? Is it fair we get shoveled at us bad ports of games made for your console first?

If the port sucks take the lesson you learned with KSP and don't buy it.

4 hours ago, War Eagle 1 said:

I feel for you, it's frustrating not to get what you want, but why do you feel you're entitled to a port at all?

On the console issue, it's also worth noting that both Sony and Microsoft have said they'll have next-generation consoles coming out next year.  KSP could conceivably be being produced as a release-day game for one or both - which would mean they need to wait for the release of the console before they can release.