Tips for a manned mission to Tylo, the Backstabber

Fierce Wolf

Welcome!

So, you want to go to Tylo. Alright, keep reading then. But know this: Tylo WILL BREAK YOU.

Spoiler

source.gif

Why? It's as big as Kerbin, just a little bit lower surface gravity, but HAS NO atmosphere. That means you will have to brake ALLLLLL the way down to the surface burning precious fuel. You will find yourself orbiting very low (10km or so) with speeds of 2400 m/s, and if your TWR is lower than 1 you will fail. Simply.

This is not a tutorial, this will not teach you how to do transfers between planets, nor how to construct a rocket. It will just tell you what to expect before arriving there. Ok, here we go:

What you need: Basics

- Since it's a manned mission, you need at least a scientist, to reset the science stuff and collect more. A pilot and engineer are optional, if you have a good relay network, that is.

- About 19000 Dv total, to ensure you don't get stranded in space. My rocket had 19500 and ended at Kerbin with 1000 left, but I used some gravity assists in the middle to economize fuel.

-Nuclear engines. Highly recommended for space. NOT FOR LANDING

- Some landing engine with good thrust. NOT FOR SPACE FARING.

What you need: Specifics

- A rover: Tylo might be treacherous, but provide a very good ground for rovers! It's fun, actually. It will behalve almost like in Kerbin. Beware of speeds surpasing 40 m/s!

-A lander: DO.NOT.MAKE.YOUR.LANDER.TOO.VERTICAL (like i did) or it will fall!!! I made a ship bottle shaped and it was a pain in the ass to land. My horizontal speed was between 1 and 2 m/s and that was enough for it to tilt to one side when touching ground. A wide-base lander would have been much better suited.

-An escape ship: Once the fun is over, you need to return. Calculate about 3300 Dv to get to orbit from Tylo's surface, to hopefully your mothership, space taxi or whatever is waiting to deliver bak home.

What to have in mind:

-Bring lots of solar panels or isotopes, Kerbol shines too softly on Tylo to gather enough energy.

-Big wheels on the rover wont hurt.

-Save before landing. Even close to the ground your engines will fire uncontrolably at full force, aproach as slowly as possible, and reduce your gimbal. Consider Tylo as a super Mun.

-Use Jool, Laythe or even Tylo to assist your interplanetary brake. Actually, every Jool mission should make use of its satellites to help you.

-Too insecure to try a Tylo mission? Go to Pol first, it's close by but much simpler to land (surface gravity a noch more than Gilly)

Have Fun!

(manned mission to Pol, SOON!)

• 1 month later...

Some more concrete tips:

1) It helps to have very high TWR when landing, like > 60ms ^-2. You would be coming down fast and you'd want to stop fast just before crashing into the ground.

2) Because of the above minimize the dry mass of your lander. A light lander is also less likely to break the landing legs. The command chair is your friend.

3) Consider building a base to mine and refuel on the surface, so that there is no to bring the fuel for lifting off while landing. This is especially useful for reusable single stage landers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.