KSP and Mac OSX Catalina

gilflo

10 minutes ago, gilflo said:

Can someone confirm that KSP runs on 64bits with Mac OSX Catalina?

Can I upgrade without loosing KSP???

Thank's guys

I personally wouldn't trust it to work correctly as Mac updates are notorious for breaking games and other software not directly developed by Apple 

If you must upgrade then perhaps by using bootcamp or another boot loader you could set yourself up with a dual boot to run Linux or even Windoh's ... You would need to be sure that your Mac is running an Intel processor for it to work properly though

Edited by DoctorDavinci

4 hours ago, DoctorDavinci said:

If you must upgrade then perhaps by using bootcamp or another boot loader you could set yourself up with a dual boot to run Linux or even Windoh's ...

You can easily dual-boot between versions of MacOS which support the new APFS filesystem. Then you won't even have to worry about jumping through other hoops to read your files. I'm thinking about doing this myself to keep using older Adobe and other programs.  

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208891

4 hours ago, DoctorDavinci said:

You would need to be sure that your Mac is running an Intel processor for it to work properly though

There are zero Macs which can run the current versions of KSP that aren't already using an Intel processor [without jumping through some pretty obscene hoops]. 

30 minutes ago, SlinkyMcman said:

I can confirm that it works

Good to hear. One more thing I can check off my list. 

On 10/8/2019 at 3:43 PM, DoctorDavinci said:

You would need to be sure that your Mac is running an Intel processor for it to work properly though

Apple removed support for PowerPC from OS X ten years ago. The last PowerPC Mac came out in 2006.

6 hours ago, Brikoleur said:

Apple removed support for PowerPC from OS X ten years ago. The last PowerPC Mac came out in 2006.

And there you go ... shows hows informed I am on OS X (garbage)

Sorry, I should rephrase that ... Apple garbage

FYI the genius bar is definitely not filled with geniuses 

Did you quote my post for a reason or are you just trying to show how smart you are?

40 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Did you quote my post for a reason or are you just trying to show how smart you are?

Mostly just to show how smart I am.

7 hours ago, Brikoleur said:

I'm still running things on a Quadra 605, and I would run KSP on it if they had made a version for it!

On 10/11/2019 at 9:02 AM, DoctorDavinci said:

And there you go ... shows hows informed I am on OS X (garbage)

Sorry, I should rephrase that ... Apple garbage

FYI the genius bar is definitely not filled with geniuses 

Why are you even posting in this thread, much less answering someone's MacOS question when you demonstrably know literally nothing about the subject? I'm only looking at this thread because I'm curious, and will likely have a Catalina machine soon (i9).

As an example, I build my own Windows gaming rigs, so I could presumably answer questions at some level---but I don't play KSP on my windows box, so I don't even look at windows specific questions here at all---what of value could I offer? I have had some Linux boxes in the past as well, I'd not answer Linux questions here for the same reason, I'd not have anything useful to contribute.

Most of us who've used computers for longer than we'd probably like to admit have had plenty of issues with "garbage" aspects of Windows over the years, but I don't seek out PC threads to dump on Windows, either (because what kind of a person would feel the need to do that?). You literally decided to come to a thread about an OS you don't like, and know nothing about (the last non-Intel Mac was in ~2006 I think). For reasons.

Edited by tater

25 minutes ago, tater said:

Why are you even posting in this thread, much less answering someone's MacOS question when you demonstrably know literally nothing about the subject? I'm only looking at this thread because I'm curious, and will likely have a Catalina machine soon (i9).

Well I actually know a few people running pre 2006 mac computers so I offered some info ... is this a problem?

Didn't realize that this thread is an 'exclusive' one and commenting in it isn't allowed without approval

25 minutes ago, tater said:

Most of us who've used computers for longer than we'd probably like to admit have had plenty of issues with "garbage" aspects of Windows over the years, but I don't seek out PC threads to dump on Windows, either (because what kind of a person would feel the need to do that?). You literally decided to come to a thread about an OS you don't like, and know nothing about (the last non-Intel Mac was in ~2006 I think). For reasons.

Actually what happened here is I saw someone asking a question about a problem and was looking for a solution to which I provided 'FACTUAL' information that could possibly help someone in need

The FACT is OS X has a tendency to break games on updates ... no passing go, no collecting $200 :confused:

The person I was responding to decided to quote my comment to just show that they knew more than me ... the user clearly said so themself

So I replied that the genius bar is always looking for smart people (look up Louis Rossman on YouTube ... he'll tell you all about Apple :wink:)

So you were saying?

Edited by DoctorDavinci

Meh, Apple is pretty good at breaking software with every new OS release so I can see why someone would jump to a conclusion. Windows, as much as I despise it, is really good at supporting old software (eg you can run PS 5.5 on Win 7). Linux is generally screwing around with libraries no matter the version, if you are compiling anyway. Anyhow, Apple could be a bit better about keeping some legacy support- an old story: I worked at a place that had shipping services, and someone wanted to return their new G3, and I was like whaaaat, why would you do that? They were a gfx person and the G3 had zero support for their scsi peripherals- Apple just cut the cord instantly. But its weird that software breaks in that Apple generally has software that is statically built, at least it did in the old days (I have no say here either tho, mac user from 8.6-10.6). It seems as though Apple really puts a strain on developers whenever they release a new OS, devs have to scramble to keep up.

2 hours ago, sp1989 said:

In theory shouldnt KSP run alot better now that OSX is 64 bit?

The OS has been 64 bit for a decade.  It's just finally dropping support for non-64-bit apps.

I have one app that I use on a daily basis that I'm losing to this, and it last updated 3 years ago.  (And is based on code originally written *25* years ago - 5 years before OS X came out.)  I have a few games I'm losing, but the most recent is Arkham Asylum, which came out a decade ago.  Apple doesn't work as hard as Microsoft at backwards compatibility - but they don't drop things without warning typically either.  Developers have known about this for years, and users have been warned on app launch for the last year.

This is a molehill, not a mountain.

44 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Well I actually know a few people running pre 2006 mac computers so I offered some info ... is this a problem?

That's actually pretty remarkable. I'm not running pre-2006 PCs, that's for sure (not sure any would play anything I care about).

The thread is explicitly about Catalina. Apple doesn't make every OS work for all computers they have ever made, for all time. This is a feature, honestly. KSP itself would be a better game if there was not a requirement for old saves to not be broken, I'd rather they simply dump anything that would be better done another way, and make people start over.

KSP min OS is 10.8, so the earliest Mac than can play KSP (poorly, lol) would be an Intel machine regardless. I have an old Core 2 Duo Mac that can't get to 10.8, so...

Didn't realize that this thread is an 'exclusive' one and commenting in it isn't allowed without approval

Anyone can post anything, anywhere. I just wonder why, when your principle goal seemed to be to slag on MacOS.

There are threads about KSP inspired fiction, I think. It;s nothing I would ever look at, or enjoy, so I don't pop onto those threads to tell people their fiction is bad (assuming some probably is, I have no idea).

Actually what happened here is I saw someone asking a question about a problem and was looking for a solution to which I provided 'FACTUAL' information that could possibly help someone in need

The FACT is OS X has a tendency to break games on updates ... no passing go, no collecting $200 :confused:

Odd, since I've updated some of my Macs (I have a laptop as well) continuously since starting KSP, and none have broken anything at all. I don't game all that much on my Macs, but again, nothing broken. I have far more problems with GPU driver updates on my PCs, actually (gotta love updating, then having to go back to the last one that didn't ruin the one game I built the PC for).

The person I was responding to decided to quote my comment to just show that they knew more than me ... the user clearly said so themself

So I replied that the genius bar is always looking for smart people (look up Louis Rossman on YouTube ... he'll tell you all about Apple :wink:)

So you were saying?

Don't care in the least about Apple stores, and I'm about as likely to watch someone on YT talking about Apple stores as I would be to watch someone talking about their experiences doing tech support on PCs---why would I possibly care?

Edited by tater

7 minutes ago, tater said:

Don't care in the least about Apple stores, and I'm about as likely to watch someone on YT talking about Apple stores as I would be to watch someone talking about their experiences doing tech support on PCs---why would I possibly care?

Seems to be many assumptions floating around

The person I mentioned is actually an educator and one of the many who fought for the right to repair act ... Louis even was called as a witness in the Netherlands as to the underhanded business practices of Apple and their whole 'ecosystem' deal

But that is a different subject all together

Second, you might learn something

It appears to me that this conversation, meaning this one we're having now which you started, is just an excuse to vent ... Clearly just a reason to be outraged for the sake of being outraged as this is just brigading

Please, tell me more ... the internet is eagerly awaiting :)

On 10/8/2019 at 11:00 AM, SlinkyMcman said:

I can confirm that it works

That is the only answer this thread needed, OP was pretty much a yes or no question. Asked, and answered.

I don't have any problem at all with Apple's business practices, that I cannot easily solve myself. They can do what they like, and I can buy what I like. If I don't like it, I can invent my own OS/hardware/ecosystem, or use one of the many others available. As for watching something on YT... I prefer reading to watching.

It's like my car, it's expensive to have serviced, but I knew that when I bought a Rover <shrug>. No one held a gun to my head. If I find myself buying a Tesla... that might even be worse, dunno (so far my friends with them haven't had them repaired).

Yes it works. The major FUBARED thing about Catalina is they broke up iTunes into separate applications (Music, Video's, iTunes Store) and it made a mess of my album covers on my stored music. :mad:

Edited by GDJ

The original question has been effectively answered and this thread has gone pretty off topic.

Some posts have also been edited or removed.

If any or all involved would like to discuss the propensity of OSX updates / software breakage, feel free to spin up a new thread in The Lounge, and remember to keep it cordial.