[1.7.3/1.8.1] Extrasolar v1.9.2 [24/01/2020]

Andi K.

15 hours ago, wkwied said:

...and I'm still playing around in LKO with KSPIE trying to make a super ship that can do everything.. :)

Aren't most of us? I *did* travel to the earlier version  of Valentine ONCE. Using MKS and building an Orion interstellar craft with 2 fuel "rings".

https://kerbalx.com/panarchist/DSEV-01-FULL-SHIP

It took 11.5 kerbal years to get there, and I basically saved my save game before starting (to resume later) since time compression basically meant letting everything crash and die that wasn't the interstellar mission. (so I could do it in a weekend) Definitely easier if you have some sort of warp ship. I'm planning to take another trip out there in the next few RL months, but I expect I'll be putting some kerbals on there who will be on there for a long, LONG time.

Edit: Actually, it was THIS ship: https://kerbalx.com/panarchist/DSE-02B-William-Klark

Edited by panarchist

12 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

Any planet pack is dependent of Kopernicus - which is not updated yet. So this question is not really helpful.

While I do fully understand the dependency on Kopernicus, I merely was wondering if we could get an update to his/her future plans e. g. updating to 1.8.1 (if at all) and the possible changes for especially this wonderful mod. Also I just can't wait.

On 10/30/2019 at 11:13 AM, panarchist said:

Aren't most of us? I *did* travel to the earlier version  of Valentine ONCE. Using MKS and building an Orion interstellar craft with 2 fuel "rings".

https://kerbalx.com/panarchist/DSEV-01-FULL-SHIP

It took 11.5 kerbal years to get there, and I basically saved my save game before starting (to resume later) since time compression basically meant letting everything crash and die that wasn't the interstellar mission. (so I could do it in a weekend) Definitely easier if you have some sort of warp ship. I'm planning to take another trip out there in the next few RL months, but I expect I'll be putting some kerbals on there who will be on there for a long, LONG time.

Edit: Actually, it was THIS ship: https://kerbalx.com/panarchist/DSE-02B-William-Klark

I simply will not use the Orion mod (if that is the one I am thinking of), because it is so, so incredibly over powered. I've been trying to use the Interstellar Extended mod to build a nice, easy to control, SSTA with or without warp. For sure I can get there, it is just I've spent the fast majority of my time building funny ships that don't work... or can't land and take off :|

20 hours ago, wkwied said:

I simply will not use the Orion mod (if that is the one I am thinking of), because it is so, so incredibly over powered. I've been trying to use the Interstellar Extended mod to build a nice, easy to control, SSTA with or without warp. For sure I can get there, it is just I've spent the fast majority of my time building funny ships that don't work... or can't land and take off :|

That's because Orion is incredibly OP in real life. Regardless, 11+ kerbal years is still a very long journey. Not sure I'd want to make the trip with a lesser drive. The various Alcubierre drives are more OP than Orion, though, and some of the Interstellar Extended engines have pretty extreme performance as will. In any case, all of those are necessary if one wants to make it out to Valentine in less than a Kerbal century.

On 11/6/2019 at 3:32 AM, wkwied said:

I simply will not use the Orion mod (if that is the one I am thinking of), because it is so, so incredibly over powered.

Tbh, if it comes down to it, stick enough radiators on it and any torch drive (effectively what Orion is in ksp scale) is gonna be pretty OP. KSPIE ain't exculded here.

The problem is that there are many practical and ethical issues with Orion drives that are non-issues in KSP which together make it much easier to use than in real life. I mean, that's basically the nature of KSP; it's easier than real life.

Edited by AndrewDraws

• 1 month later...
On 11/8/2019 at 7:05 AM, GrandProtectorDark said:

The none-existence of radiation does remove some major balance from engines IRL

Well if you got KSPIE Kerbalsim installed, Radiation from nuclear engines becomes an issue again, you realy want to put your crew as far as possible for the nuclear source as possible

Edited by FreeThinker

On 12/10/2019 at 10:29 AM, FreeThinker said:

Well if you got KSPIE Kerbalsim installed, Radiation from nuclear engines becomes an issue again, you realy want to put your crew as far as possible for the nuclear source as possible

I didn't even know Kerbalism added that feature. That's actually really interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

January 24, 2020 will be Extrasolar's 4th birthday. I sometimes forget how old Extrasolar is. I made Extrasolar when I was still in middle school, and now I'm almost in college. Time really does fly.

In celebration, I want to add a new planet into Extrasolar, which I know hasn't happened for quite some time. I'm tentatively calling this planet "Teeko" though this may change. That's all the information I'll give for now :P 

So this afternoon, I've been working on Teeko, and here's what I have so far. It actually looks surprisingly good! I'm pretty happy with it.

f0fhqWs.png

I'm trying to make it somewhat reminiscent of Pluto. The color map will most definitely change between now and January 24th 

17 hours ago, Barar said:

Planet looks great.

I haven't completely decided if it should be in a wide orbit around Valentine, or in a wide orbit around Kerbol. I originally wanted it to orbit around Kerbol, further out than even Valentine, but if I were to do that, the light from Kerbol would be too dim to see the texture I just spent a day working on :P. More likely than not, I'll end up putting it around Valentine as a small dwarf planet.

My favorite is probably moons in the rings around a large gas planet. Lots to see and explore. If there's a planet off by itself, that is hard to get to and doesn't have much for resources. I only hit it up to check it off a list. Even if it may be a wonderful planet. I do like the idea of it around Valentine, that way you don't need to worry about compatibility as much with other mods.

It would be neat to have some small body or bodies between Kerbol and Valentine to act as a way station. Something in a really high orbit around Kerbol that is caught between the gravity of both stars. Just to build on your mod.

I do look forward to your planet, are you going to wait for Kopernicus 1.8 Version release or release for 1.7?

6 hours ago, Barar said:

My favorite is probably moons in the rings around a large gas planet. Lots to see and explore. If there's a planet off by itself, that is hard to get to and doesn't have much for resources. I only hit it up to check it off a list. Even if it may be a wonderful planet. I do like the idea of it around Valentine, that way you don't need to worry about compatibility as much with other mods.

It would be neat to have some small body or bodies between Kerbol and Valentine to act as a way station. Something in a really high orbit around Kerbol that is caught between the gravity of both stars. Just to build on your mod.

I do look forward to your planet, are you going to wait for Kopernicus 1.8 Version release or release for 1.7?

Thank you very much for your input. I think I'll try to put it between Valentine and Kerbol and see how that works. I'll just have to make sure that it doesn't ruin compatibility with OPM.

5 hours ago, Aelipse said:

Wow, this mod looks fantastic. Before I download it and try to run it, I was wondering if it's compatible with the Outer Planets Mod. :)

Thanks! It is compatible with OPM.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AndrewDraws said:

Proxima Centauri is roughly 400 times the distance from the Sun

Thanks dude, but Im having a brain malfunction and Im not sure what you mean, do you mean that 

Prox.Cen. -> Kerbol   =   ( Valentine -> Kerbol ) *400

Or that 

Prox.Cen. -> Kerbol   =   400 Kerbal AU

?

If its the first one.....holy cow, has anyone ever made it there? Thats a lot of map zooming...

Edited by p1t1o

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.