Zorg's Screenshots and Customised Visual Set Up

Zorg

7 hours ago, somnambulist said:

@Zorg how does the performance of TUFX compare to K3SP? 

No idea, I dont normally have an FPS counter on.

Worth noting that both KS3P and TUFX do their thing by referencing the Unity post processing stack. Ie stuff built into the Unity game engine that KSP doesnt use. And TUFX uses a newer version of the post processing stack. I would therefore expect them to be equivalent, perhaps TUFX even might be better performing but I don't know.

OP updated with config v0.2, a few tweaks a and a new colour profile.

Mostly the post processing AA has been disabled because I've been told KSP's built in hardware MSAA is the best option. If you have performance issues with the KSP anti aliasing you can try some of the TUFX ones.

Second I have added a new colour profile Zorg-Colour-vintage1-OT

The shadows are VERY blue in this. Suggest not using it in dark scenes, night side etc.

screenshot570.png

Download [dropbox]

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey Zorg, is the anti aliasing in 1.9.1 screwed up for you as well?  It just does not look as crisp on some parts as it did in 1.8.1.  The Solar panels from Benjee's ISS mod look awful.  I haven't modified the TUFX AA settings from your settings either, and both my 1.8.1 and 1.9.1 installs have the same setting for AA:  8x

On 7/19/2020 at 10:44 PM, MashAndBangers said:

Hey Zorg, is the anti aliasing in 1.9.1 screwed up for you as well?  It just does not look as crisp on some parts as it did in 1.8.1.  The Solar panels from Benjee's ISS mod look awful.  I haven't modified the TUFX AA settings from your settings either, and both my 1.8.1 and 1.9.1 installs have the same setting for AA:  8x

I'm still on 1.8, tbh I've not really settled on whether to use TUFX post processing AA or the games in built hardware driven AA. I think the in game AA is less performance intensive and less prone to artifacts while the TUFX ones are a bit heavy handed though they seem more effective and dampening down really bad aliasing on stuff like stringers on tanks.

But no idea about 1.9

3 minutes ago, Zorg said:

I'm still on 1.8, tbh I've not really settled on whether to use TUFX post processing AA or the games in built hardware driven AA. I think the in game AA is less performance intensive and less prone to artifacts while the TUFX ones are a bit heavy handed though they seem more effective and dampening down really bad aliasing on stuff like stringers on tanks.

But no idea about 1.9

already figured it out.  Benjee isn't using .dds for his textures in Habtech 2, and I guess squad changed something in 1.9 that handles AA for textures and normals so that it only works for .dds textures.  Benjee said he'll update the textures in a later update, so gotta wait till next year.  ha ha ha not sure if joke. :P

• 1 month later...

Mr Zorg, I'm trying to step up my screenshot game and wondering if I can pick your brain about a few details?

1. are you using KSP's F1 for screenshots? my nvidia software thingus can save screenshots too, after passing through their effects engine stuff .. a whole unexplored world there.
  2. could you comment on your in-game resolution and your setting for SCREENSHOT_SUPERSIZE in settings.cfg? 
  3. what do you typically do with the screenshot file before posting to the forums? just wondering because if you're cropping/resizing/re-saving, then your save settings might be very interesting too :)

Many thanks!

• 1 month later...
On 5/3/2020 at 4:31 AM, Zorg said:

OP updated with config v0.2, a few tweaks a and a new colour profile.

Mostly the post processing AA has been disabled because I've been told KSP's built in hardware MSAA is the best option. If you have performance issues with the KSP anti aliasing you can try some of the TUFX ones.

Second I have added a new colour profile Zorg-Colour-vintage1-OT

The shadows are VERY blue in this. Suggest not using it in dark scenes, night side etc.

screenshot570.png

Download [dropbox]

How do I install the config?

On 9/17/2020 at 8:17 PM, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Mr Zorg, I'm trying to step up my screenshot game and wondering if I can pick your brain about a few details?

1. are you using KSP's F1 for screenshots? my nvidia software thingus can save screenshots too, after passing through their effects engine stuff .. a whole unexplored world there.
  2. could you comment on your in-game resolution and your setting for SCREENSHOT_SUPERSIZE in settings.cfg? 
  3. what do you typically do with the screenshot file before posting to the forums? just wondering because if you're cropping/resizing/re-saving, then your save settings might be very interesting too :)

Many thanks!

Oh I guess I should set notifications on this topic, very late reply :confused:

1. Yes I do use F1. 

2. I use my monitor resolution of 2560x1440. I am not using supersampling just to keep file size under control and also last time I used it it caused problems with EVE. Its been a while since I did that so not sure if still the case.

3. Sometimes I crop, usually just using windows photo viewer ( :P )or whatever its called for most uploads which are otherwise undedited.  Other times when I feel like having some fun with a more vintage type look I send it to photoshop. Dont recall export settings, pretty standard PNG settings.

Edited by Zorg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

What version of KSP is this for? I can't find anywhere on the post if it mentions this. I saw a reply you made on someone's comment saying 1.8.1, but as I understand, parallax doesnt work for anything less than 1.10.x.

6 hours ago, Neesh said:

What version of KSP is this for? I can't find anywhere on the post if it mentions this. I saw a reply you made on someone's comment saying 1.8.1, but as I understand, parallax doesnt work for anything less than 1.10.x.

I wrote the original post in 2019 (focused around KS3P instead of TUFX which hadnt come out at that point) , and have updated it occasionally since then. All of the mods mentioned have versions that work in 1.11 as far as I know. Not all of them are supported in 1.8 

• 2 months later...

@ZorgI really enjoy your setup. Thanks for sharing your presets.

I'm trying to see if I can get a less cinematic and more naturally bright aesthetic, like you sometimes see in NASA spacewalk photos, example here: https://imgur.com/MZBEXNV

Some of @benjee10's screenshots get pretty close, but I don't know for sure what he's doing with his settings. Looks like bloom, but subdued, and maybe a neutral tonemapper instead of ACES? I'm experimenting to see if using your Kopernicus sunlight boost will help on stock + OPM system, or if because that was written for JNSQ it's going to be ridiculously scaled.

Here's a color grading I think might get me there,

EFFECT
	{
		name = ColorGrading
		GradingMode = HighDefinitionRange
		Tonemapper = Neutral
		Temperature = 6
		Saturation = 10
		PostExposure = 0.7
		Contrast = 6
		Gain = 1,1,1,0.3
	}

but I'd love if you have any insight about what to add, remove, vary, etc. Thanks!

On 8/11/2021 at 2:43 AM, danfarnsy said:

@ZorgI really enjoy your setup. Thanks for sharing your presets.

I'm trying to see if I can get a less cinematic and more naturally bright aesthetic, like you sometimes see in NASA spacewalk photos, example here: https://imgur.com/MZBEXNV

Some of @benjee10's screenshots get pretty close, but I don't know for sure what he's doing with his settings. Looks like bloom, but subdued, and maybe a neutral tonemapper instead of ACES? I'm experimenting to see if using your Kopernicus sunlight boost will help on stock + OPM system, or if because that was written for JNSQ it's going to be ridiculously scaled.

Here's a color grading I think might get me there,

EFFECT
	{
		name = ColorGrading
		Tonemapper = Neutral
		Temperature = 6
		Saturation = 10
		PostExposure = 0.7
		Contrast = 6
		Gain = 1,1,1,0.3
	}

but I'd love if you have any insight about what to add, remove, vary, etc. Thanks!

Ive not actually been playing much KSP at all over the last year or so lol. Modders curse as Im too busy making stuff. But I am setting up a new test install with visuals, i'll take a look and see sometime.

9 hours ago, Zorg said:

Ive not actually been playing much KSP at all over the last year or so lol. Modders curse as Im too busy making stuff. But I am setting up a new test install with visuals, i'll take a look and see sometime.

Thanks. I think I'm about where I want it, between the sunlight boost and my setting with the bloom from your neutral. Here's a few:

zohIq3U.png
H4vTE8I.png2UPPKR9.png

Same scene with zorg-neutral, definitely pops:
EBD4m5f.png

My current setting:
MZqxpJQ.png

Vs zorg-neutral preset, a little too much white:
mUJFAzw.png

Here's my current, bloom is pretty much duplicate of yours.

TUFX_PROFILE
{
	name = Farnsy-Neutral
	hdr = False
	antialiasing = None
	EFFECT
	{
		name = Bloom
		Intensity = 2.4
		Threshold = 1.3
		SoftKnee = 0.73
	}
	EFFECT
	{
		name = ColorGrading
		Tonemapper = Neutral
		Temperature = 6
		Saturation = 10
		PostExposure = 0.7
		Contrast = 6
		Gain = 1,1,1,0.3
	}
}

I'm glad these tools exist. It's nice to have visuals not be so flat.

1 hour ago, danfarnsy said:

Thanks. I think I'm about where I want it, between the sunlight boost and my setting with the bloom from your neutral. Here's a few:

Same scene with zorg-neutral, definitely pops:

My current setting:

Vs zorg-neutral preset, a little too much white:

Here's my current, bloom is pretty much duplicate of yours.

TUFX_PROFILE
{
	name = Farnsy-Neutral
	hdr = False
	antialiasing = None
	EFFECT
	{
		name = Bloom
		Intensity = 2.4
		Threshold = 1.3
		SoftKnee = 0.73
	}
	EFFECT
	{
		name = ColorGrading
		Tonemapper = Neutral
		Temperature = 6
		Saturation = 10
		PostExposure = 0.7
		Contrast = 6
		Gain = 1,1,1,0.3
	}
}

I'm glad these tools exist. It's nice to have visuals not be so flat.

Looks great, always nice to have more options to switch between, def keen to try this out :) 

4 hours ago, danfarnsy said:

I think I'm about where I want it, between the sunlight boost and my setting with the bloom from your neutral.

I've made a few very similar tweaks, plus applied Zorg's WIP sun stuff to KSRSS, too. I just did this blindly, not knowing if any of the params actually work for KSRSS or what ... but here's where I'm at so far.

also, this is scatterer's projector mode, and KSP's 8x AA re-enabled. original was super_sampled and then this is resized in PS back to 1080p. 

yu9utKR.png

I feel like this is pretty well balanced, but definitely nothing breathtaking yet. Maybe I de-hyped it a little too much?

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Zorg said:

er try this: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/690553577524953158/882741962321571850/Zorg_flight_profiles.cfg

even has a bonus new profile I've kinda been messing with.

Much appreciated, I have a bunch of TuFX profiles and you probably know different ones fit different scenes better than others :) I like your profiles from the screenshots so Im sure ill be happy ! Thanks again.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, thanks Zorg for this visual enhancement topic, and thanks for your TUFx profile, you've been the ambassador of it I believe ;)

I can't get AA to work properly though. TUFx seems to disable the InGame AA, and has its own settings but I find them lacking. Only temporal looks good to me, but needs to be static picture while i'm doing cinematic with camera movement.

I've tried using the NVidia panel but not success so far.

Any idea ?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.