what changes in the game since 1.4?

Hi. I had a long brake in the game. I played in the very modded 1.4 - used TAC, KAS, KIS, relay network, real fuels, near future, preesed node, a lot of mods for an additional experiments, and a other popular modes, but not RSS

Want to return to game. What changes? Am I understand correctly, now relay network, KAS, KIS not requires because part of vanilla game, right? BTW, I bought both DLC to support developers.

Edited by Polnoch

Whoa, relay network was new as of 1.4?  I must have bought the game right as they introduced it.  

One of the biggest things for people that lived through the updates was that one of the Making History engines, the Wolfhound, had super OP Isp for an LFO engine, but they nerfed it somewhat so that doesn't matter to you.  (420 to 380)

Honestly, I haven't been following the updates all that closely so I'm a bad person to try to help you.  But I'm really stoked about the updates that are coming soon!  2.5m SRBs at last (no more clusters of 4 kickbacks for me), being able to edit action groups while on a mission (and review what they even are!), and more.  

I'm assuming that when you say KAS and KIS features are in the stock game now, you are referring to delta-V and TWR readouts being shown for each stage.  

[edit:  I totally agree with VoidSquid:  while I struggle to think of huge, attention-grabbing changes (other than the expansions), there have been lots and lots of smaller, just-works-better changes, and it should add up quite nicely.  Oh, at some point they slightly changed Eve's atmosphere, but it might have been before you left and it wasn't drastic.]  

Edited by FinalFan
see edit

Hey there,

still playing the same career I started with 1.3.1, I hope that I can answer at least a few questions:

Relay Network: nothing changed, maybe you can disable that requirement in the settings, I never cared. I've my classic Relay Sat network, required with my settings, works perfect.

KAS/KIS: Required? Probably not. Recommened? definitely!

MH DLC gives a lot of new parts, mainly 1.875m and 5m, while BG mainly gives robotics and surface features.

TAC? You mean life support or other mods like TAC Fuel Balancer?

Generally, I'm still using almost the same mods I used in 1.3.1, from graphic mods (EVE, Scatterer, ...), to support mods (KAC, KER and other), to functional mods (Modular Fuel Tanks and other), and part mods (Missing History, Modular Rocket Systems), and I don't want to play without them.

What else changed? Several parts refurbished, great UI improvements including quality of life stuff, many useful new parts. All in all, the game became a lot better, in almost every aspect. Plus they truly improved performance, decreased stutter and that (thinking of VAB in particular).

Hope this helps :) 

32 minutes ago, FinalFan said:

being able to edit action groups while on a mission

There's already a mod for this (one of my mods I don't want to play without):

34 minutes ago, FinalFan said:

I'm assuming that when you say KAS and KIS features are in the stock game now, you are referring to delta-V and TWR readouts being shown for each stage.  

I might be wrong, but are you maybe talking about KER? KIS/KAS is about inventory and mounting/attaching parts during a mission, not dV or TWR readouts.

Just now, VoidSquid said:

There's already a mod for this (one of my mods I don't want to play without):

I might be wrong, but are you maybe talking about KER? KIS/KAS is about inventory and mounting/attaching parts during a mission, not dV or TWR readouts.

See, that's the thing, I don't use any mods, so I'm just wildly flailing around when I try to answer his questions lol

Thank you guys for answers

Another question. What people currently use as modmanager/modstore? CKAN? Or something new?

3 hours ago, VoidSquid said:

TAC? You mean life support

yes

3 hours ago, VoidSquid said:

KAS/KIS: Required? Probably not. Recommened? definitely!

What's wrong in the stock's implementation? 

4 hours ago, FinalFan said:

Whoa, relay network was new as of 1.4?

I don't remember too. I just remember that I still used not stock implementation. Maybe because it was not in the stock in that moment or because other reasons. Also I used kOS and kOS scripts...

4 hours ago, FinalFan said:

had super OP Isp for an LFO engine

The problem is - I used realfuel mod. Maybe I have to avoid use it (to reduce amount of mods) I don't know. 

Edited by Polnoch

2 minutes ago, Polnoch said:

What was implemented into stock, while a nice addition, is not KIS/KAS.  It's only for the new surface experiments.  The new stock feature could be considered a slimmed down replacement for SEP, but not for KIS/KAS.

1 hour ago, Polnoch said:

Thank you guys for answers

Another question. What people currently use as modmanager/modstore? CKAN? Or something new?

I don't remember too. I just remember that I still used not stock implementation. Maybe because it was not in the stock in that moment or because other reasons. Also I used kOS and kOS scripts...

The problem is - I used realfuel mod. Maybe I have to avoid use it (to reduce amount of mods) I don't know.

I still hear people talk about CKAN, so probably that is still the thing to use.  But honestly, it sounds like so much has changed that it might be worth considering starting from scratch:  play with the base game for a little while, and then add things back in, instead of deciding what mods to cut back on when you don't even know what it is they're replacing. 

22 hours ago, Polnoch said:

CKAN is the only mod manager I know of that's still in widespread use.

Spacedock is the main mod 'store'.  Most modders either use that or release their mods from their own Github repositories.  In fairness, though, you'll probably have the best chance to find what you want when you look at the add-on subforum here first.

Edited by Zhetaan

9 hours ago, Zhetaan said:

CKAN is the only mod manager I know of that's still in widespread use.

10 hours ago, VoidSquid said:

Yes, CKAN is still the way to go for mods if you don't want to do it manually.

9 hours ago, Zhetaan said:

If fairness, though, you'll probably have the best chance to find what you want when you look at the add-on subforum

Looks like nothing changes with mod delivery process. 

19 hours ago, Geonovast said:

What was implemented into stock, while a nice addition, is not KIS/KAS.

Ah, got it. Thank you very much!

What about new mods? Something very interesting, what was created in this year when I not played in the game?

21 hours ago, Polnoch said:

What people currently use as modmanager/modstore? CKAN? Or something new?

I use the forum. I have a bookmark folder for all the mods I use, and go through them every once in a while (generally when starting a new career) and check if they're updated, and then download them from whatever links the modders provide.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.