Minmus surface station self destructing

i have a large minmus surface outpost, i have been building it as part of a strategy to launch interplanetary missions after refueling at minmus.  surface station is mining and refining, then i have a rover that transfers fuel from the base to a shuttle that will launch and rendezvouz with an orbital fuel depot.  i finally got all the different assets in place, and was in the process of filling up the shuttle.  took a break from that to deal with an arriving crew shuttle that didnt quite have enough dV to land safely, managed to trade the ship for keeping my kerbals alive.  before i switched over to my crew shuttle, i had left the rover connected to the station while the station was refining fuel.  the station has been stable, although this is my first surface station and i really over complicated it.  game has been getting more laggy as i added all the parts to the station, but no real issues just kinda slow and choppy at times, i definitely will simplify future outposts.  but now when i am within physics range of the station it simply starts vibrating and rotating, i have let it unfold a few times and it never stops rotating.  i have tried playing with time warp, no luck.  i have managed to decouple the rover and retract all my drills, but still the destruction.  i have tried enabling and diasabling sas, all my reaction wheels are disabled(disabled engines and reaction wheels as expansions were added).  is there any way to disable physics, except for time warp, so that i might try to save my doomed station?  i have had some luck with quick clicks during time warp transitions, but i have literally a split second to act before i have to time warp to stop things from tearing apart.  all i want to do is get my kerbals and science out, then i can abandon the station and start over.

I don't know if this applies to your outpost/station, but one of the most common reasons for vessels/structures suddenly starting vibrating violently and then exploding is using autostrut to heaviest part. When you move fuel around, the center of mass changes, and the heaviest part might change along with it, as a result the autostruted parts have to change their strut attachment, which then causes the mentioned vibrations and explosion.

I'd also try using this mod

it can help a great deal with physics going wild.

Edited by VoidSquid

1 hour ago, VoidSquid said:

I don't know if this applies to your outpost/station, but one of the most common reasons for vessels/structures suddenly starting vibrating violently and then exploding is using autostrut to heaviest part. When you move fuel around, the center of mass changes, and the heaviest part might change along with it, as a result the autostruted parts have to change their strut attachment, which then causes the mentioned vibrations and explosion.

I'd also try using this mod

it can help a great deal with physics going wild.

thanks for the tips, i was able to save it.  i was able to undock the different parts from the main base and eventually figured out which one was causing the instability.  best guess is that i bumped the whole structure when i docked my refueling rover and that changed the relative angle between the main base and the expansion modules at the docking port, and the vibrations just built from that unevenness.  once i undocked that one module, everything is fine.  time to start working on a new and improved base.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.