Coffee

TheKSPBeginner

What is your opinion on Coffee  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like coffee

In this time, the most precious substance in the universe is the bean of Coffee. The bean extends awakeness. The bean expands consciousness. The bean is vital to getting out of bed.

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Edited by razark

I miss coffee. I miss caffeine. But I also like not having my heart go all wacko and lose its rhythm or decide 180 beats/minute for hours on end is normal. So I also don't miss coffee.  And I don't miss caffeine. I especially don't miss caffeine detox and never want to go through that again.

23 minutes ago, razark said:

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

My daily mantra back in ye-olde college days. I wish we could convince Brad Dourif to record that version......

Like is not enough to describe it, it's a love story.

I started young, my parents refused for me to enjoy coffee, but around seven I found a way to steal some of it from my father's cup and without being noticed. I was disgusted by his biterness (my parents always took their coffee perfectly black), but a few years later I wanted to try again, and... the worst happened. Between 9 and 12 years old, the only moments without my parents were during the summer holidays with my grandparents and neither of them wanted to let me drink coffee, however, instead of it my grandmother gave to my brother and I the most filthy and disgusting drink that is: cichorium. The worst culinary experience of my existence, a "taste" that could not be defined so much it was awful, and as if that was not enough, she always put cream in it. 

Fortunately, the years passed and one day at the age of twelve, while two of my classes in the morning had been canceled, I decided to go to the bakery at the corner of the alley and to order my own coffee for the first time. Well, not really a true coffee... as it was a cappuccino in which I put a lot of sugar. Almost every day that followed I went to school earlier than before, just to stop taking my cappu' before class, and my parents thought I was doing it as a good schoolboy :D

Then, as time passed, I stopped putting milk in my coffee and then sugar and finally it is now almost impossible for me to taste a coffee that is not "pure" and black. It's hard to explain, but I love the bitterness of the drink, really.

Just a little story, but it marked me rather well: I was 15 when my uncle, who lived in the Alps, invited me to cross the border and go for a ride in Italy (which was not a first for me at this time). I can't remember the name of this little town, but about fifteen minutes after entering Italy, we stopped at a little bar on the side of the road. I took a long coffee, or americano, and while I drank it, an old man who was looking at me while balancing his head said to me in a rather average French, "You the French you don't know how to appreciate coffee. With so much water in, it must not even have a bit of taste, it's sad... "  It made me laugh, but ... he was "right", and since then I always try to enjoy my coffee every morning. Perfectly black, bitter, and strong.

23 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Tea, on the other hand...

Probably one if not the most usual casus belli between friends and relatives for the last 400 years... coffee vs tea.

I can already hear it:

- Tea doesn't have any taste! It's just hot water with perfume!

- Of course tea got a taste! It's not like coffee that is nothing but bitterness with a aftertaste of burning stuff!

- &#$%!!1! At least coffee is giving me enough energy for my whole day!

- #@$%!! Tea gives me energy too!

- Yeah and yellow teeth!

- &%#$!!!!

1 hour ago, RealKerbal3x said:

The smell of coffee is nice, but the taste...blech.

Not all coffees are created equal. Some dark roasts I never liked and agree they had a bad taste. Some lighter roasts are basically dirty water. I never understood what good coffee was until I started exploring options other than Sanka, Maxwell House, and Folgers. Tasting a properly brewed cup of Community Coffee for the first time was a life altering event. 

I'm pretty much a coffee addict (though I'm also fine with tea, which I take the same way, black). Black tea is actually pretty sweet to my taste.

French coffee? I presume that would be french press, which is generally how I make coffee when I have had an espresso machine failure that involves sending it off for repair. I know I make it too strong (I am confident I grind it too fine for the press). Increased surface area, increased extraction. Espresso is relatively speaking sweeter than other coffees, since the bitter compounds come out later in the extraction. I vary in what I drink. When it gets cold out, and I want to drink a coffee over a period of time, I'll hit the lungo button on my machine, which basically drives 2X water through the coffee, making a larger drink, and it's a little more bitter. Alternately I sometimes put a couple shots of espresso into a small amount of hot water (americano, though I make them quite strong) fr the same effect (drinking coffee over a longer period of time). Otherwise, I just drink espresso.

It's always funny to me when I have had people on the interwebs say that American coffee, or even just americanos, are somehow not real, or strong, etc, then I find out they put milk, or god forbid sugar in their coffee, yet presume to chide people on somehow drinking "lesser" versions of coffee.

3 hours ago, Cydonian Monk said:

I miss coffee. I miss caffeine. But I also like not having my heart go all wacko and lose its rhythm or decide 180 beats/minute for hours on end is normal. So I also don't miss coffee.  And I don't miss caffeine. I especially don't miss caffeine detox and never want to go through that again.

Alton Brown talked a little about decaf coffee on his show about coffee. He pointed out that the process costs as much per unit weight as good quality beans do, so if you buy decaf that is about the same price as other coffee---the beans must be awful. He said to look for expensive decaf, so you know they started with good beans. We have local roasters here who actually try to do this, and they make good decafs. Like legit good, wouldn't know it's decaf. You might look around. I drink decaf in the evenings sometimes (I keep small amounts around for people to have after dinner, and I never keep beans around for more than a week, so I pretty much always drink ~1/4 lb (dry, whole beans) of good decaf a week).

1 hour ago, cubinator said:

I even like the fruit.

You too? :) It's a shame it's so hard to get the fruit, the beans are just too valious. 

Did you ever tasted Cacau (the fruit)? Delicious, but I have the same problem on getting the fruit.

Try Cupuaçu if you ever get the chance. A bit acid, but tasteful.

1 hour ago, Lisias said:

You too? :) It's a shame it's so hard to get the fruit, the beans are just too valious. 

Did you ever tasted Cacau (the fruit)? Delicious, but I have the same problem on getting the fruit.

Try Cupuaçu if you ever get the chance. A bit acid, but tasteful.

Eu conheço todos!

I've not had the fruit itself, but I've had fresh Cacau and Cupuaçu juice.

It would be nice if coffee fruit had a bit more meat to it, instead of being mostly seed. If there was coffee juice I would drink it.

6 hours ago, XB-70A said:

I was disgusted by [its] biterness (my parents always took their coffee perfectly black)....

Good coffee even black shouldn't be bitter.  A bit of salt in the percolator helps here.

Otherwise...

kUIcug9.png

I love coffee so much I grind it up and eat it with my cereal instead of sugar.

Ran out of Cinnamon? GROUND COFFEE!!

Ran out of soap? COFFEE BEANS!!

:D

Edited by GDJ

13 hours ago, razark said:

In this time, the most precious substance in the universe is the bean of Coffee. The bean extends awakeness. The bean expands consciousness. The bean is vital to getting out of bed.

Then why do you write it from a lowercase letter?

Spoiler

61Z89Wg0snL._SX425_.jpg

12 hours ago, XB-70A said:

Then, as time passed, I stopped putting milk in my coffee and then sugar and finally it is now almost impossible for me to taste a coffee that is not "pure" and black. It's hard to explain, but I love the bitterness of the drink, really.

(Later he started chewing raw coffee beans.)

10 hours ago, XB-70A said:

Tea doesn't have any taste! It's just hot water with perfume!

Depends on tea.
Some of them

Spoiler

even don't have perfume.

Back to the topic.
Coffee is like oranges. Smell is awesome, taste is nothing special.

(Probably same with cigarettes, but I neither smoke, nor chew them)

I like coffee. I don't need it, I don't feel out of sorts if I don't have any, I don't drink it every day. If my wife is making coffee at breakfast on the weekends I'll have a cup. I'll have a cup with dessert if we're out to dinner.

I like blood. I don't need it, but it's comfortable to have some circulating on my body, together the coffee I have on my arteries. :sticktongue:

Edited by Lisias
Kraken damned Autocompletes

2 hours ago, Lisias said:

I like blood. I don't need it, but it's comfortable to have some circulating on my body, together the coffee I have on my arteries.

(Looks at the "Location")
Well, at your place you are probably looking for water without coffee. Local crosswords: "Coffee without beans. 5 letters, starts with W".

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.