To start a new game or not...

ruiluth

This is a mirror of a post I put on the KSP reddit.

I hadn't played for some months, and recently I came back to my old install and loaded it up. I found a savegame in which I'd landed probes on Eve and had a few en route to Moho. So far, I've returned kerbals from the surface of Moho and landed probes on every body inside of Jool. I'm just beginning to mine Minmus to fuel a new generation of permanent orbital tugs to send kerbals all over.

Problem is, I'm in 1.3. Not even 1.3.1. The reason for that is that I have a concoction of mods that work very well together and I'm always hesitant to fix it if it ain't broke. The problem is, I recently discovered that I have the DLCs due to being an early supporter, and Breaking Ground in particular looks awesome. That coupled with a few new mods I want to try out, as well as all the features that have been added since April of 2017 when I assembled this install, make me want to start over.

Problem is, I'm 8 years into my game, and I'm just getting to the "good part". I finally have enough tech unlocked to do some serious long-haul missions and build bases and space stations. I can finally go back to Jool, which I haven't been to for IRL  years because I haven't kept a save going that long since career mode was introduced. And that's the crux of the problem: every time I play this game, I lose interest somewhere along the ramp up stage, and quit before I get to the fun stuff. Not that one part of it is more fun than others, but I've flown robotic landers to the inner planets and set up comm relays dozens of times. I have yet to really explore MKS and set up any colonies because I never get that far. I've only sent kerbals to Jool once, back in 2014 when I was still learning how to play.

And now with KSP 2 coming out next year...

I'm not sure what to do. Does anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions? What is a game in 1.7 like compared to 1.3? If you were in my position, would you start over?

Hmmmm.... [Long winded explanation that I don't know what you like deleted.]

I think the fact that you ask here means that you definitely should try out Breaking Ground. Flying solar-powered electric planes on Eve is just awesome! And you can get your asteroids to not only to land on the runway, but also take off again! (Sorry @5thHorseman, but I've been looking at you signature for a few minutes now.:cool:) And getting to places is that much more rewarding when you can do something there.

But you probably also should keep your old installation around!

I would start a new game and then use alt-F12 to get yourself to roughly the same place you are in your current game.

ie

- award yourself science until you have the same level of unlocked tech

- design comm-sats and then “set orbit” them wherever you currently have comm-sats

I wouldn’t feel bad about doing this, because you’ve already done it... you aren’t cheating yourself out of any experience.

Whichever way you decide to do it though, I highly recommend 1.7 with the DLCs... very fun!

Version 1.8 is coming soon-ish, with a lot of neat stuff for the base game and the DLCs. Among other things: native DirectX 11, new planet textures and shaders, new parts, and new loading screens (from the community contest). So it might be worth waiting if you decide to start a new game.

But then again, if you can't live without mods, it might be safer to stay on 1.7.x, because the Unity upgrade might mean that some mods will be slow to update.

12 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Why pick? You can have both!

Copy your entire install of KSP 1.3 somewhere, and then update the original and start a new game. You can always go and run KSP 1.3 from the new folder.

All you lose is Steam tracking your time playing. And you gain so much more.

That's true, and since I bought the game directly from Squad I don't even have to mess around with Steam at all. That's probably what I'll end up doing.

5 hours ago, Goody1981 said:

I would start a new game and then use alt-F12 to get yourself to roughly the same place you are in your current game.

ie

- award yourself science until you have the same level of unlocked tech

- design comm-sats and then “set orbit” them wherever you currently have comm-sats

I wouldn’t feel bad about doing this, because you’ve already done it... you aren’t cheating yourself out of any experience.

Whichever way you decide to do it though, I highly recommend 1.7 with the DLCs... very fun!

I thought about doing this... Not sure if I will yet.

5 hours ago, Streetwind said:

Version 1.8 is coming soon-ish, with a lot of neat stuff for the base game and the DLCs. Among other things: native DirectX 11, new planet textures and shaders, new parts, and new loading screens (from the community contest). So it might be worth waiting if you decide to start a new game.

But then again, if you can't live without mods, it might be safer to stay on 1.7.x, because the Unity upgrade might mean that some mods will be slow to update.

I hadn't heard much about that, it does sound like a great improvement... but yeah, I can't really live without mods, so I'll probably be on 1.7 for a while.

8 hours ago, Streetwind said:

Version 1.8 is coming soon-ish

Ooo... probably a good job I still haven't migrated my 1.4.x to 1.7 then... :blush:

(I tried but it crashed after just 30 minutes and I couldn't be bothered working out why. Maybe I'll just do a simple stock game with 1.8, check out the new terrain and such.)

Can a 1.3 save game be loaded in 1.8?  Might be worth a try.

Otherwise HyperEdit is a good way to set up your comms relays if you want to bodge your way in to a game, I've done that in sandbox before to allow me to test  KOS stuff before launching it in my career game.

@eddiew - migrating old saves is only going to get harder as more updates and expansions are added, and mods change or get discontinued. I think you'll have to accept that your 1.4.x save is going to have to stay on that version.

As for starting a new game... you're into storytelling with lots of images right? Perhaps it would make sense, for you, to wait until 1.9. Because while we're getting the six nearest bodies to Kerbin reworked - which is likely all that >90% of players ever see, so it's the low-hanging fruit - Kerbin is not included in that list. It's a life-bearing world, after all; those could use a little more detail than barren fields of regolith. If I was Squad, I'd have ambitious plans for Kerbin. And as a story teller, you probably want to have the most prominent planet in your story to be visually up to snuff if you're going through the trouble of starting a new story.

I reckon we'll see the redesign split into three patches in total. The six "close" bodies (Mun, Minmus, Eve, Gilly, Duna, Ike) are coming in 1.8. Another six bodies constitute the Joolian system (Jool, Laythe, Tylo, Vall, Pol, Bop). And then there's four left: Moho, Dres, Eeloo, and... Kerbin. Those can form another set, with Kerbin receiving the extra man-hours saved by having fewer bodies in the set. Now, whether it'll be the second set or the third to be released? Or if Squad is actually going to do it this way for real? No clue... I'm just speculating wildly, based on how I'd approach it :P

Edited by Streetwind

29 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

Kerbin is not included in that list

Fair point ... but I may not want to wait as long as it will take for the full set to happen x)

Also, I've done a stock+OPM career log before, I'm quite used to visual discrepancies :D

I have just started a new game after re-installed ksp steam 1.8 I now have no altimeter and no tools for retro/pro tools to get to mun, are loads of fancy stuff at the side for boffins, no docking camera, I wish I could go back to 1.3.1, I think I will wait till KSP 2, and hope its all there weather, camera, with out the need to get addons that work only until next update.

6 hours ago, Boris Kerball said:

I have just started a new game after re-installed ksp steam 1.8 I now have no altimeter

Known issue that happens if your Navball is set to below 90% size (either through the general UI size slider, or the Navball size slider, or a combination of the two).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.