When are you buying KSP 2?

GoldForest

When are you buying KSP 2?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. When are you buying KSP 2? (This one assume there will be no early access)

• I'm going to pre-order it as soon as I can.
    • I'm going to pre-order it the day before launch so I get any pre-order perks, or so I can pre-load the game.
    • I'm going to buy it day one.
    • I'm going to wait at least one or two updates for bugs to be squashed out.
    • I'm going to wait quite a few updates.
    • I'm going to wait for reviews.
    • I'm going to wait for reviews and a few updates.
    • When some of the mods I want are ported over.
    • When most of the mods I want are ported over.
    • When all the mods I want are ported over.
    • When there's a price drop/sale.
  2. 2. If KSP comes out with Early Access, when will you buy it?

• Day one of Early Access.
    • Going to wait one or two updates.
    • Going to wait until a little before official launch.
    • I will not buy it early access.
  3. 3. If Star Theory were to offer any perks to Early Access Adopters, would that change your mind on when to get it?

• Yes!
    • Maybe, depends on the early access perks though. (Please leave a comment)
    • No.

My Early Access policy is simple. It's the same policy I use on everything I spend money on.

Is the product offered RIGHT NOW worth the money they're charging RIGHT NOW, and can I afford to spend that money on it RIGHT NOW?

Yes -> Buy the product.
No -> Don't buy the product.

With Early Access, you get the bonus of potential extra product for free, plus the potential chance of affecting development in a slight way. I don't know why that's a bad thing but many people don't like it. As the product I bought was in my opinion worth the price I paid, I never feel shafted by an EA effort dying early.

Well, never after SpaceBase DF 9, the game that taught me the above policy.

When early access first became a thing, I assumed it was more in line with being a patron, if that's the right word.  One who pays in advance in an effort to finance a future product.  Something in line to paying an artist to paint a painting.  The artist still does indeed owe you something beyond the unfinished canvas.  It turned out that early access was merely buying a product that was even more unfinished than the unfinished products that were already being released as "finished."  As someone who still prefers to buy finished things, even software, I choose to no longer support early access as a concept.

Will keep my eyes on it and watch videos/series to get a feel.
Not buying blind anymore. Too many crap games or "surprise mechanics" ruining everything they promised that I simply can't trust anymore.

As for buying early access? They'd have to drop a lot of honey on it to make it appealing to me.
Most likely a full-blown solar system right out of the box (Complete with Outer planets, Pluto analogue and Halley's comet analogue).
I really don't see what they could add to make we want early access tbh.  Trying to think of stuff and nothing comes to mind.  Nothing that couldn't be made by the many awesome modders KSP1 had/has.
I guess if they shipped a game box like they used to, a nice art/instruction booklet, and a 1 foot Kerbin Globe... something like that, but not that interested.

Chances are I will wait a week or 4, then jump in.

2 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

SpaceBase DF 9

What's that?  I never heard of it.

Edited by Francois424

49 minutes ago, Francois424 said:

What's that?  I never heard of it.

Promised as Dwarf Fortress in Space, they kept having problems and then just released it as 1.0 with nothing fixed, then closed up shop firing all the programmers.

I don't remember what I paid for it, but it was too much.

6 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Promised as Dwarf Fortress in Space, they kept having problems and then just released it as 1.0 with nothing fixed, then closed up shop firing all the programmers.

I don't remember what I paid for it, but it was too much.

I'll say... Sheesh.

Looks like I dodged a bullet.

I very rarely buy games immediately on or before release; I almost always wait for (1) some reviews and comments to decide if it's worth the money and (2) price drops. But in this case I'm going to make an exception and buy KSP 2 as soon as I can.

I'll try to pay for EA early for one simple reason - it's often discounted to some degree, and price goes up over time. :) I'll wait for a few reviews to pop up on the forum, but that's about it.

8 hours ago, Francois424 said:

I guess if they shipped a game box like they used to, a nice art/instruction booklet, and a 1 foot Kerbin Globe...

You made me perk up for a moment there. Booklets, physical Kerbal merchandise, professionally 3D-printed models... hmm.

Just please don't do a Ubisoft and keep pricing within realistic proportions?

1 minute ago, Dragon01 said:

I'll try to pay for EA early for one simple reason - it's often discounted to some degree, and price goes up over time. :) I'll wait for a few reviews to pop up on the forum, but that's about it.

Yeah, you might want to research the company -under their previous name- that is tasked with KSP2; their history shows the exact opposite of this, to a rather shocking extreme. One can hope they've learned from past mistakes, but I've not seen any indications to that effect yet. Wait and see.

I know that. I was talking about early access price. I'd prefer the price to be, at most, 40$. At least 20% off the base price would be acceptable in early access.

I don't really know if I'm going to play KSP2, but 60USD is not that much for a game. And I need to beta test some Add'Ons of mine on it the early I can. :) 

I'm also extremely curious about their new API.

KSP 1 was a massive Early Access win for me.  Thousands of hours fun and learning for £15.

Match that for KSP 2 and I'll buy it*, otherwise you can have twice that at most for the full release, plus updates, plus mods, which would be a similar price to KSP 1 is at the moment.

(* But only because it's KSP.  The straightforward theft that was Space Simulator taught me never to buy early access again).

Spoiler
On 10/16/2019 at 8:01 AM, 5thHorseman said:

Aren't such unexpected events that what you like the Dwarf Fortress gameplay for?..

Edited by kerbiloid

On 10/15/2019 at 2:42 AM, GoldForest said:

Like the title says, when are you getting it?  

Early Access maybe, I was not one of the early access players but maybe my mind will change if we see what's out early. I hope they release the game with no early access though :P

I'll buy after reviews. No Man's Sky burned me in regards to preorders.

Unless of course, they release a whole lot of details and previews that shows its safe to buy.

Also unless, of course, they do a cheaper early access thing.

Given, of course, they release for mac on day one.

I have purchased exactly one game in alpha / early-access, KSP. Not happening again, 6 years on I still haven't received the complete, bug-light, and reasonably performant game I thought they were making.

When I can see from playing the demo that KSP2 runs properly on GNU/Linux and isn't a big box of bugs and jank, I'll consider purchasing it. If there is no up to date demo, well...

37 minutes ago, steve_v said:

I have purchased exactly one game in alpha / early-access, KSP. Not happening again, 6 years on I still haven't received the complete, bug-light, and reasonably performant game I thought they were making.

If you purchased it in EA then you got way more than you paid for.

Ridiculously low EA prices and absurd "All DLC free forever" policies are the first reasons most EA games never see the light of a full release, no one should sell a non finished game for only 10$ or less.

24 minutes ago, Master39 said:

If you purchased it in EA then you got way more than you paid for.

Indeed it was cheap. Frankly I'd rather pay more and get a game that is a stable, complete product.

If KSP's bug-count had been steadily decreasing since 1.0, I'd believe that someday we're getting a finished game and I'd be ecstatic to have helped fund development, not to mention getting it cheap.
1.8 fixed a bunch of bugs, but It also introduced new ones, worse new ones. That's been the pattern since day one, and it doesn't appear to be improving at all.

What I paid for is access to a beta testing programme, an incredibly fun beta testing programme to be sure, but that's not what I signed up for. I signed up thinking I'd get a finished product out of it eventually.

Now apparently it's time to move on to KSP2, and KSP1 still isn't sorted out. Just like 1.3.1 was very nearly a good minimally buggy release, but before the last few problems were squashed 1.4 came out and broke things all over again.
Stupid things. Ridiculous things. Joystick support F.P.S. Things that get left unfixed until the next super-borked x.x.0 release, or in this case four  major releases and untold hotfixes later... When they finally are fixed, they come with new and even more inane bugs... Like scrollwheels not working properly.

I'm not playing this silly game again with KSP2, I'll buy it when it's good and ready.

Edited by steve_v