When are you buying KSP 2?

GoldForest

When are you buying KSP 2?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. When are you buying KSP 2? (This one assume there will be no early access)

• I'm going to pre-order it as soon as I can.
    • I'm going to pre-order it the day before launch so I get any pre-order perks, or so I can pre-load the game.
    • I'm going to buy it day one.
    • I'm going to wait at least one or two updates for bugs to be squashed out.
    • I'm going to wait quite a few updates.
    • I'm going to wait for reviews.
    • I'm going to wait for reviews and a few updates.
    • When some of the mods I want are ported over.
    • When most of the mods I want are ported over.
    • When all the mods I want are ported over.
    • When there's a price drop/sale.
  2. 2. If KSP comes out with Early Access, when will you buy it?

• Day one of Early Access.
    • Going to wait one or two updates.
    • Going to wait until a little before official launch.
    • I will not buy it early access.
  3. 3. If Star Theory were to offer any perks to Early Access Adopters, would that change your mind on when to get it?

• Yes!
    • Maybe, depends on the early access perks though. (Please leave a comment)
    • No.

24 minutes ago, steve_v said:

Indeed it was cheap. Frankly I'd rather pay more and get a game that is a stable, complete product.

If KSP's bug-count had been steadily decreasing since 1.0, I'd believe that someday we're getting a finished game and I'd be ecstatic to have helped fund development, not to mention getting it cheap.
1.8 fixed a bunch of bugs, but It also introduced new ones, worse new ones. That's been the pattern since day one, and it doesn't appear to be improving at all.

What I paid for is access to a beta testing programme, an incredibly fun beta testing programme to be sure, but that's not what I signed up for. I signed up thinking I'd get a finished product out of it eventually.

Now apparently it's time to move on to KSP2, and KSP1 still isn't sorted out. Just like 1.3.1 was very nearly a good minimally buggy release, but before the last few problems were squashed 1.4 came out and broke things all over again.
Stupid things. Ridiculous things. Joystick support F.P.S. Things that get left unfixed until the next super-borked x.x.0 release, or in this case four  major releases and untold hotfixes later... When they finally are fixed, they come with new and even more inane bugs... Like scrollwheels not working properly.

I'm not playing this silly game again with KSP2, I'll buy it when it's good and ready.

I agree with everything you said there, @steve_v

Thinking abou it now, I'd pay the price of a full AAA title and maybe more to the guy who could recompile (or however you call it) some modern mods like Restock or JNSQ etc to make them work in 1.3.1 and just call it done and play that from now on out.

I still love and play 1.3.1 a lot, but some of the new mods (or new improved versions of old mods like Scatterer) made me start to tinker with more recent versions too. (1.6.1 is pretty decent too, but like yourself the lack of some key features kills it for me)

And yeah, round and round we go. Who on here really still gets hyped over 1.x.0 releases? etc etc

Edited by Dafni

1 hour ago, steve_v said:

Now apparently it's time to move on to KSP2, and KSP1 still isn't sorted out.

Guess why?

Because KSP was developed by unexperienced indie developers and in the spaghetti code that resulted pulling a string to fix a bug could collapse half of the game.

Why the developers just don't fix said spaghetti code?

Because developing costs time and skilled developers time costs a lot, no way that they can pay for a total rewrite (because that's what is needed to fix KSP1 long standing bugs) with the original backers money, the sporadic new players (compared to a new, well marketed, release) and the DLCs that a big portion of the core player base get for free anyway are not enough either.

1 hour ago, steve_v said:

I'm not playing this silly game again with KSP2, I'll buy it when it's good and ready.

They're playing a totally different game this time around, they have experienced devs on the game (a new game with fresh code and next gen technologies) and the marketing is top notch, that trailer wasn't cheap and the fact that it was advertised on every space related subReddit and YouTube channel wasn't cheap either.

KSP2 no longer is the EA Indie game that KSP1 is, it's a AA game under one of the biggest publishers out there with the all new set of pro and cons that this means.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, Master39 said:

Because KSP was developed by unexperienced indie developers and in the spaghetti code that resulted pulling a string to fix a bug could collapse half of the game.

They're playing a totally different game this time around, they have experienced devs on the game (a new game with fresh code and next gen technologies) and the marketing is top notch, that trailer wasn't cheap and the fact that it was advertised on every space related subReddit and YouTube channel wasn't cheap either.

I have absolutely no faith that Star Theory will be able to release a bug-free game and very little trust in Take Two to invest much in improving it.  Like you said, "the marketing is top notch, that trailer wasn't cheap" [my bold] shows the money missed the developers.  Hype virtually precludes performance.

Just now, Pecan said:

I have absolutely no faith that Star Theory will be able to release a bug-free game and very little trust in Take Two to invest much in improving it.  Like you said, "the marketing is top notch, that trailer wasn't cheap" [my bold] shows the money missed the developers.  Hype virtually precludes performance.

As I said:

2 hours ago, Master39 said:

KSP2 no longer is the EA Indie game that KSP1 is, it's a AA game under one of the biggest publishers out there with the all new set of pro and cons that this means.

Just now, Master39 said:

As I said:

Indeed :-)

I don't want to overstate the cons either.  I'm sure Star Theory will do as good a job as possible and KSP 2 really should be a better starting-point for future enhancements than KSP 1.  It's only that bug-free code doesn't exist and, so far, the 'AAA' approach has been untested for KSP and is usually a bad sign everywhere else.