Kerbal Space Program 1.8: “Moar Boosters!!!” Grand Discussion Thread

UomoCapra

7 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

Yea. Tons of mods are going to be broken for this update due to the engine update and compiler differences.

Don't forget any parts mods using the older dds compression method.

Edited by shdwlrd

6 minutes ago, r3_141592654 said:

So is this going to be another one of those "start over" moments?

Yep. And as a matter of practice things work best if the steam install remains unmodded. Just copy the whole pristine directory someplace else, then mod the heck out of it.

Awesome update, love the staging in Map mode. At least, the idea of it. I won't be able to experience it for a while (stupid real life).

Also no more forcing DX11 and the mod that fixes how things look when you do.

Also moar boosters are always welcome!

Edited by 5thHorseman

Well, I suppose I am at a crossroads here on whether and how to continue to play KSP. I love the game, but this will be my third restart and it seems I can get no further into the game than the previous play before having to restart again. I have 3100 hours and have just gotten my first probe out of the Kerbin SOI on its way to Duna. Kind of a bummer to be stuck replaying everything on Kerbin, Mun and Minimus. One option is to do without any of the new stuff and just play 1.7.3 from here on out (had to do the same with Minecraft since the updates were incompatible with previous save files), or I could just play vanilla without mods and not worry about the mod problems (however I do find all of the many mods superb and greatly appreciated by those who create and contribute to them). I suppose the other alternative is to just wait for the several mods that I do have to get updated to 1.8.2, but from the sounds of it I am facing another restart regardless because of the game engine change. I will have to ponder this for a bit.

2 minutes ago, r3_141592654 said:

but from the sounds of it I am facing another restart regardless because of the game engine change. I will have to ponder this for a bit.

Restart later. Go explore Duna and the rest! The update will be there when you're ready.

What have you guys done to the RnD facility? The ground normal is very off..

Spoiler

UXEkbvP.png

It's an easy fix but I'm not sure why it's there.

I also noticed some inconsistencies within the RnD roads:

Spoiler

9RtoTWF.png

0hlwjqT.png
What happened to the crossings?

How it should be:
M62aUPN.png

Should I report this to the bug tracker?

Edited by damonvv

1 hour ago, UomoCapra said:

Remember that in order to see the new Celestial B0dies' textures, you to select the High Quality shader in the settings.  The default is Low (legacy). :wink:

Important tip! 

Also, literally the day after I ponder a fresh stock career, 1.8 launches. Nice.

10 minutes ago, r3_141592654 said:

Well, I suppose I am at a crossroads here on whether and how to continue to play KSP. I love the game, but this will be my third restart and it seems I can get no further into the game than the previous play before having to restart again

Been there many times. It's the primary reason I usually don't leave Kerbin's SOI anymore. It's the nature of the beast when the game is continuously being updated. 

I like that you've added rounded, orange variants to the 2.5m and 3.75m nosecones, and orange variants to the 3.75m tanks, but why not on the 5m versions?  5m looks best as a shuttle replica main tank, along with Mk3 shuttle parts and new 2.5m boosters. 

4 minutes ago, Jestersage said:

Hey, would you confirm the  S3 tank reskin are for MH only? If so, what happened to people who have no MH? As far as I know, reskin attach to the part maps itself...

S3 is 3.75m tanks.   The 5m tanks from MH are S4, and they weren't given orange variations for some reason.

Edited by klesh

3 minutes ago, klesh said:

S3 is 3.75m tanks.   The 5m tanks from MH are S4, and they weren't given orange variations for some reason.

Yes. So someone confirm it's the patch note error, or variant special for MH (I am workign right now)

On patchnote, it say the following:

1.8.0 Changelog - Making History DLC ONLY

+++ Parts
New Parts:
* THK “Pollux” Solid Fuel Booster
Updated Parts (reskinned):
* Kerbodyne S3-14400 Tank
* Kerbodyne S3-7200 Tank
* Kerbodyne S3-3600 Tank

12 minutes ago, Jestersage said:

Yes. So someone confirm it's the patch note error, or variant special for MH (I am workign right now)

On patchnote, it say the following:

1.8.0 Changelog - Making History DLC ONLY

+++ Parts
New Parts:
* THK “Pollux” Solid Fuel Booster
Updated Parts (reskinned):
* Kerbodyne S3-14400 Tank
* Kerbodyne S3-7200 Tank
* Kerbodyne S3-3600 Tank

I'm looking at the game right now.  They have not touched the 5m parts.  The 3.75m parts all have orange variants now.  Additionally, the nosecones for 2.5m and 3.75m have an orange rounded, shuttle replica shaped variant.  The patch notes that you're quoting look correct to me.  Oh I see what you mean now, they must be referring to the Pollux as MH only.

gIar6Uy.png

Edited by klesh

16 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

Been there many times. It's the primary reason I usually don't leave Kerbin's SOI anymore. It's the nature of the beast when the game is continuously being updated. 

Just give yourself cash and points and repo to get back to where you left off.

5 minutes ago, klesh said:

I'm looking at the game right now.  They have not touched the 5m parts.  The 3.75m parts all have orange variants now.  Additionally, the nosecones for 2.5m and 3.75m have an orange rounded, shuttle replica shaped variant.

Okay, the concern (as one who share crafts) is, whether parts made with 3.75m but with orange variant will still work for someone who do not have DLC. (in short, I have DLC. i know it will work for me. But what if I upload my craft and it was downloaded by a player who have no DLC)

3 minutes ago, mindstalker said:

I'm not sure how to do that. Plus, it doesn't get my communications satellite network back in place, which too me a couple of weeks getting them around Kerbin, Mun and Minimus and then getting the near perfect orbits at precisely 120 degrees. I'm considering going back to vanilla career or just keep chugging along in 1.7.3. Any more restarts are going to be nigh futile since KSP 2 is launching in what, about 6 months or sooner? I'll be wanting to do that too. Ugh, not enough time to do it all!!!

Anyone else getting massive (~4-5 second long) freezes every 30 or 40 seconds or so? It "feels" like garbage collection gone insane... Happens both in editor and in flight (with only base game & both expansions installed, with MM - nothing else). Good times.

Edited by AccidentalDisassembly

38 minutes ago, mindstalker said:

I don't play career or science mode. (Both modes are worthless in my opinion.) The same thing can happen when you have grand plans in sandbox.

38 minutes ago, r3_141592654 said:

I'm not sure how to do that. Plus, it doesn't get my communications satellite network back in place, which too me a couple of weeks getting them around Kerbin, Mun and Minimus and then getting the near perfect orbits at precisely 120 degrees.

Getting your funds, reputation, and science points back is just a matter of editing your save file.

Getting your comm sats back into place is easy. Just use hyper edit or the set orbit cheat. You may have to math out the positions though if you put them up one by one.

1 minute ago, Jestersage said:

Okay, the concern (as one who share crafts) is, whether parts made with 3.75m but with orange variant will still work for someone who do not have DLC. (in short, I have DLC. i know it will work for me. But what if I upload my craft and it was downloaded by a player who have no DLC)

You'll be good.  They've only touched the stock 3.75m tanks.