Kerbal Space Program 1.8: “Moar Boosters!!!” Grand Discussion Thread

UomoCapra

31 minutes ago, Flying dutchman said:

@James Kerman i removed eve and scatterer and that worked. but from what i understand it is able to run the latter?

I'm confident that the mods we all love will be updated however there has been a substantial update to the underlying aspects of the game with this version so it may take a little time before compatibility with your favorite add ons. As always, please be patient as the fantastic modding community also have real life pressures and responsibilities so it may take a little time before we can play our own Kustomized Kopy of KSP in 1.8.

Edited by James Kerman
Added link

Does anyone else find the transitions between the different new planetary textures kind of startling, at least the Mun's, I have yet to look at the others up close?  They seem to contain details that maybe shouldn't be seen so crisply at their relative altitudes.  Its tough to describe, perhaps a video would make more sense.  Essentially, at 20km over the Mun I looked down and could see what looked like crisp stones on the texture, but they would be KSC-Peninusla-sized rocks.  Zoom in closer and they fade away as they aren't real, and a new set of crip looking boulders/rocks fade in in completely different spots.  Seems like there is 3-4 levels of LOD, each of which is a completely different pattern, none of which actually represent whats on the surface.  It would be like seeing the craters move around or fade out of existence when you got close enough.

The textures look absolutely great in some spots, but I found that behavior to be jarring.

For some reason, the buggy and only-sometimes-working SM-25 from Making History seems completely broken now.  In the VAB it gives very wrong deltaV data, and in flight mode it just wont recognize any fuel connected to it.  Its always been temperamental, but seems now to be completely not working.  There are several bug reports on this, but never got much upvote traction.

Are animation speeds baked into parts?  I'd love to be able to slow down the door opening animations on the new Service Bays.  They are quite fast; too much so for my liking.

I like that you've added a user loading screens folder.  That's very cool.

Why can't there be consistency in these textures?  There has been a whole effort to unify the artwork in this game, but you're seemingly replacing it with an entirely new set of variously mismatched artwork.  I don't get it.  Here we have 4 orange variant  parts, and I see what appears to be 3 separate renditions of what orange painted foam insulation is supposed to look like:

Spoiler

oSjwkgt.png

8 hours ago, fourfa said:

Rebalance decoupler, MK1-3, MK1 lander can, MK2 lander can, separators costs, crash tolerances, weight.

Anyone had time to look into this yet?  Could be significant, could be negligible.  Would it be so hard to be more specific in the patchnotes?

Here you go.  Had a look this morning:

Weight (mass?):

Mk1-3 unchanged.

Mk1 Lander Can unchanged.

Mk2 Lander Can mass oh so slightly lowered (0.005t)

Separators and decouplers masses unchanged.

Crash Tolerance:

Mk1-3 reduced from 45m/sec to 20m/sec

Mk1 Lander Can increased from 8m/sec to 12m/sec.

Mk2 Lander Can increased from 8m/sec to 20m/sec.

Separators and decouplers crash tolerances unchanged.

Cost:

Mk1-3 cost unchanged.

Mk1 Lander Can cost unchanged.

Mk2 Lander Can cost unchanged.

Separators and decouplers costs mostly halved.

Edited by klesh

I looked at my DXDIAG command this morning and noticed that I have DX12 installed. Would this cause any issues running 1.8.0? The altimeter and stack readout bugs are driving me nuts. I do not like having to run the 8-ball so big, as well as the stack readout. Hope this gets addressed soon.

12 minutes ago, showell373 said:

I looked at my DXDIAG command this morning and noticed that I have DX12 installed. Would this cause any issues running 1.8.0? The altimeter and stack readout bugs are driving me nuts. I do not like having to run the 8-ball so big, as well as the stack readout. Hope this gets addressed soon.

I’m sure we will see a patch in a week or two. I am not overly impressed with the QA done on the last 4 or 5 patches though. A couple times I can understand, but unless they have massive turnover those people in QA should have learnt their lesson by now and figured out how to test things properly. :/ 

As someone who regularly has to put together test plans, Squad’s obviously has some serious gaps. Either that or these were know issues and they decided to push out the patch anyway. Although if that was the case a “Know Issues” section in the patch notes would be highly appreciated so we don’t waste our time reporting issues they already know about. 

1 minute ago, MechBFP said:

I’m sure we will see a patch in a week or two. I am not overly impressed with the QA done on the last 4 or 5 patches though. A couple times I can understand, but unless they have massive turnover those people in QA should have learnt their lesson by now and figured out how to test things properly. :/ 

As someone who regularly has to put together test plans, Squad’s obviously has some serious gaps. Either that or these were know issues and they decided to push out the patch anyway. Although if that was the case a “Know Issues” section in the patch notes would be highly appreciated so we don’t waste our time reporting issues they already know about. 

The QA team through 1.3 or so was all-volunteer except for the lead. After he left, they hired actual QA people, but I don't know how many. (I used to be on the QA team through 1.2) In the volunteer days, there was no formal test plan, but there was a fairly good informal one which covered the basics. Hopefully, there's more rigor there now, but honestly so much in the game has changed since 1.5.x that I'm not surprised a number of hotfixes were needed. It's always difficult - as a publisher, you have to balance between waiting long enough for all the major unknown bugs to surface and addressing your customer base going "OMG THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED NOW!!!" I don't envy the team for that job, but hopefully they actually have and update a comprehensive formal test plan at this stage.

Honestly, given KSP's origins as being coded by a group which was not an established studio, it does really well, and has fewer major bugs than I would expect.

15 hours ago, kspnerd122 said:

what will this do to mods this is my first update with a modded game do I have to uninstall mods because im on steam and so I cannot avoid updates it does it automaticaly

the only mods I have are OPM and kopernicus

If you let it update, then the next time you try to launch it, Kopernicus (which is version locked) will refuse to load and will give you really big warnings not to launch your save. Kopernicus will likely update to 1.8.0 sometime in the next 1-60 days depending on how extensive the changes to KSP were, the free time of the mod dev, and how often everyone bugs him to update, despite repeated posts in the forums specifically telling people not to badger to mod devs.

Back up your save folder, and either set the Steam version to beta and 1.7.x or start a new save and play stock until Kopernicus updates.

Tell me what the problem is.
First, I updated the game. I removed all modifications. Launched game and configured (closed the window with some kind of agreement). I restarted the game and again a window popped up with some kind of agreement there (which must be closed) and all the settings were reset.
I deleted the game and installed on a new (Steam). Everything repeated. What should I do? how to make sure that the settings are not reset ?!

21 minutes ago, BezKartuza said:

First, I updated the game. I removed all modifications. Launched game and configured (closed the window with some kind of agreement). I restarted the game and again a window popped up with some kind of agreement there (which must be closed) and all the settings were reset.
I deleted the game and installed on a new (Steam). Everything repeated. What should I do? how to make sure that the settings are not reset ?!

Same thing.

Maybe it's specific for russian version (i have one) or somebody else experiencing this bug?

15 hours ago, ExtremeSquared said:

They really tore into the top bugs in the bugtracker on this one. Nice.

Huh, which ones? Apart from the science msg spam fix, I can't find 1.8.0 fixes for any of the top 50 upvoted bugs on the tracker (or closed bugs).

On 9/5/2019 at 6:28 PM, nestor said:

We do look at the public tracker and the upvotes. We look at both bugs and feedback from there.

@nestor Does this mean there's gonna be a bug fix coming soon (as in 1.8.1 or 1.8.2)? Or is it just something that's in the pipeline? Again, there's some really low hanging fruit with a lot of upvotes on the bug tracker. Not unlike the bug listed below:

14 hours ago, klesh said:

https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/21214

Its been a bug for 5+ years thats unfortunately had it’s reports closed twice without being solved.

It needs a “0.5” to be changed to a “0.625” in a .cfg file, and can be fixed in less than a minute.  Instructions in the bug report on how to fix it yourself.  Please vote up the current bug entry to increase it’s chance of being fixed in the future.  

Upvoted and SMH...

1 hour ago, Danice said:

Loading Screen Pictures -  what format and size?

I have tried bmp, jpg, png none seem to work.

Thanks

Welcome to the forums!

I put in screenshots from Steam into my /UserLoadingScreens folder and they showed up first time.  They are .png at my native resolution (1920x1200).

51 minutes ago, BezKartuza said:

Its a confirmed bug, you'll have to wait for a fix, or in the meantime the work around for this issue is changing your Regional Format to English (US).

https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/23909

Edited by klesh

Anyone elses Kerbals moving down through the surface of Eve.

Can run down a hill just fine but try running uphill and they start sinking in to the ground. Can jump and it brings them back to the surface but start moving uphill again and they sink in to the surface again then get deleted after its just the head poking out of the ground.

1 minute ago, Ocid said:

Anyone elses Kerbals moving down through the surface of Eve.

Can run down a hill just fine but try running uphill and they start sinking in to the ground. Can jump and it brings them back to the surface but start moving uphill again and they sink in to the surface again then get deleted after its just the head poking out of the ground.

Oh.

I haven't seen that on Eve, but on Kerbin near the Monolith in the mountains west of the KSC.

1 hour ago, Sofie Kerman said:

Same thing.

Maybe it's specific for russian version (i have one) or somebody else experiencing this bug?

Как я понял, этот баг не коснулся только английской версии. Остальные языки пострадали :)

As I understand it, this bug did not affect only the English version. Other languages have suffered :)

36 minutes ago, klesh said:

Its a confirmed bug, you'll have to wait for a fix, or in the meantime the work around for this issue is changing your Regional Format to English (US).

https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/23909

Anyone else seeing a new weird quirk with UI scaling? I have tried setting it to 80%, 140%, and 200%, and when I open the settings menu and change the value and accept, the UI is scaled immediately. But when I exit and restart, the UI is not scaled; the setting stays at whatever I set it to, but the display appears as if the value is set to 100%. I am trying to debug something with my own mod, so I'm wondering whether this is happening to anyone else or if my mod might be a contributing factor.

Just now, HebaruSan said:

Anyone else seeing a new weird quirk with UI scaling? I have tried setting it to 80%, 140%, and 200%, and when I open the settings menu and change the value and accept, the UI is scaled immediately. But when I exit and restart, the UI is not scaled; the setting stays at whatever I set it to, but the display appears as if the value is set to 100%. I am trying to debug something with my own mod, so I'm wondering whether this is happening to anyone else or if my mod might be a contributing factor.

There are definitely scaling issues with the current version. Anything besides the default is causing issues. 

I'll help you test.  I'll hit you up on Steam in a moment.

Still no sounds for the Breaking Ground Turboshaft engines?  Flying a silent plane around is very odd.  Even the part description mentions them emitting sound, yet they still do not.

I also seem to have no re-entry heating sounds, and no overheating explosion sounds. 

^ I had "Ambience" sounds slider turned down to zero.

Edited by klesh

5 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

I'm after a very specific question, just knowing that there are other issues in general with UI scaling doesn't help me. If anyone else is or is not seeing the problem I described, please reply.

Do the same steps you described also break the altimeter? If no, then ya it is probably not the same issue.

I'm experiencing some issue with my rover on kerbin since the update
 -it's now way, way less stable when turning (cornering) it tip over really easily now
 -when braking it suddenly stops in a blink of an eye and do a stoppie like a motorcycle instead of slowing down evenly like before

Am I alone? is it normal now?