Kerbal Space Program 1.8: “Moar Boosters!!!” Grand Discussion Thread

UomoCapra

9 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

@UomoCapra Can you please write "THIS BREAKS ALL MODS!" in giant bold comic sans on the first post?

I can think of one or two mods which don't depend on DLL files and they might work. It now looks as though there are versions of Module Manager and MechJeb which work.

I tried the ancient Universal Docking Ports mod from Kip Engineering but I haven't done a docking yet. It puts multiple sizes in ModuleDockingNode so that smaller docking nodes with work with a large one. Nothing has broken it yet, but it's the actual docking that matters. It's useful for space stations.  Looks OK visually, so I'd expect similar essentially passive components to work.

MechJeb has a glitch with the drop-down menu system under Linux. There's an option to use the same sort of horizontal-scroll list as is used elsewhere in KSP, so it's no more than awkward, and I have seen several texture glitches with Linux. Module Manager seems to be working fine.

I've been using Module Manager as routine for a long time, so I can't really tell whether the loading slowdown is in the normal range.

I tried the Corvus 2-kerbal capsule (a Gemini clone) and it all seems to work.

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 2:21 PM, klesh said:

Additionally, the nosecones for 2.5m and 3.75m have an orange rounded, shuttle replica shaped variant.

Big Thanks at Squad for fulfilling this old request!  

And the Boosters! No more "Jedi hand-wave" quad-Kickback assemblies, with their sometimes-problematic strut connections, which nested symmetry-in-symmetry. 

v1.8 has so much new and overhaul going on... even more for me, considering I've sat out for the last few updates. Its time to start a new career mode game. 

Squad future plans? 

• Still looking for more help in the Stock experience, with managing multiple long duration missions (e.g., KAC).
  • And a "science officer's station" / control panel, for craft. 

23 hours ago, SirGouki said:

Did you guys do something to the altimeter?  Mine is blank after installing the update.  

I'm seeing this too - but only when running in full screen mode.

Edited by Vexillar

Appreciate the update and bug fixes. This patch created new bugs though. 

Bugs noticed so far:

1. When landed a capsule via parachute(haven't tried other methods yet) back on Kerbin, the module bounces up and down sort of like a jitter. There is no landing legs, just a traditional parachute capsule. Tried tweaking all kinds of graphic settings to no avail.If save the game and reload though, the jitter goes away. Seems a physics issue, not a graphics..could be wrong.

2. In career mode, collected science with a car from around KSC. This one time after collecting science from the crawler way, the vehicle crashed. Collected science data had been put in that container thing item. Instead of revert to launch per normal, I had done a recover vehicle. Recover vehicle action got zero science collected. Now the bug part comes in : After going back to the crawler way to recollect the data that was lost on crash, there was no science to be collected anymore (all zero). As if the data had already been collected and credited(it wasn't credited)

3. Second trip to mun, an orbit. The PE point was graphically off the travel line, but was otherwise working fine. Never seen this before.

Zero mods installed

6 hours ago, Danice said:

Loading Screen Pictures -  what format and size?

I have tried bmp, jpg, png none seem to work.

Thanks

JPG and PNG and a minimum size of 1280*720 - Ill get that added to the changelog/notes

3 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

I'm after a very specific question, just knowing that there are other issues in general with UI scaling doesn't help me. If anyone else is or is not seeing the problem I described, please reply.

From your previous posts it sounds like the settings reset people are finding with some locales that use , for the decimal sepaerator. Could that be it?

1 hour ago, TriggerAu said:

From your previous posts it sounds like the settings reset people are finding with some locales that use , for the decimal sepaerator. Could that be it?

I agree it sounds similar and I was wondering that myself, but I'm already in an English locale. I'll keep my eyes peeled for more similar reports.

1 hour ago, fragtzack said:

Bugs noticed so far:

1. When landed a capsule via parachute(haven't tried other methods yet) back on Kerbin, the module bounces up and down sort of like a jitter. There is no landing legs, just a traditional parachute capsule. Tried tweaking all kinds of graphic settings to no avail.If save the game and reload though, the jitter goes away. Seems a physics issue, not a graphics..could be wrong.

I got this as well.  Next time, try going to map mode and back and see if it resets it back to normal.

On 10/16/2019 at 9:41 AM, UomoCapra said:

* Add ability for users to add their own loading screen pictures to the game. Folder is KSP/UserLoadingScreens

IT WORKS! :)

Thanks, @SQUAD  - this is one (vanity, I admit) feature I really enjoyed! :)

17_KSP18-UserLoadingScreens.jpg

Edited by Lisias
Glitch on the URL, I think. Fixed.

4 hours ago, Wolf Baginski said:

I can think of one or two mods which don't depend on DLL files and they might work.

Am I really the only one who had like a half dozen mods running with no issues? My mod WarpEverywhere, Module Manager (!), ForScience, All Y'All... No problems and no errors.

I mean sure I pared it way down figuring there would be problems, but I was shocked after everybody said how many issues they had, when I tried Module Manager and it worked just fine.

Edited by 5thHorseman

9 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Am I really the only one who had like a half dozen mods running with no issues? My mod WarpEverywhere, Module Manager (!), ForScience, All Y'All... No problems and no errors.

I mean sure I pared it way down figuring there would be problems, but I was shocked after everybody said how many issues they had, when I tried Module Manager and it worked just fine.

I run MechJeb, Final Frontiers, Kerbal Alarm Clock, and Tanteres for soviet/russian themed objects.

The only issue I have is a minor mechJeb issue on pull down menus looking odd.  I did have a scare that I thought staging was broke but I had opened the docking controls.  

On 10/16/2019 at 1:14 PM, UomoCapra said:

Remember that in order to see the new Celestial B0dies' textures, you to select the High Quality shader in the settings.  The default is Low (legacy). :wink:

I went on KSP today and saw it already with new textures? No settings changed.

2 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Maybe you already had it set to High Quality. It's not a new setting; you just won't see them unless you have that setting set to High Quality.

Maybe I'll check it out! But my computer is a potato so I highly doubt.

2 hours ago, BigFatStupidHead said:

I've had some substantial slowdown in the VAB when moving or rotating parts with the widgets. Can anyone else confirm?

I cannot. I fiddled quite a bit with the move widget (no rotation) when building a ship and there was no slowdown.

I have all the extra VAB animations (Kerbals and cars and whatnot) turned off, maybe that's it?

9 hours ago, TriggerAu said:

JPG and PNG and a minimum size of 1280*720 - Ill get that added to the changelog/notes

Why not DXT1 and DXT5 also? Seems like you should be able to handle those pretty easily.

On another note, is there any capability to handle BC4 - BC7 compression at all with Unity 2019?

I've found that all my existing Spaceplanes can accelerate at a much steeper angle than they could in 1.7.3.  Also on re-entry the right wing begins to overheat almost immediately upon getting under 70k.

If I'm returning from LKO it survives, but remains right on the brink of exploding all the way to landing, even when stationary having landed the gauge is still there and is still over 70% of the way to exploding.

some other parts of the plane have a similar issue but to a lesser degree.  the left wing has the issue but doesn't get as close to exploding as the right wing.  I've messed around with the angel and whatever I try the right wing is always hotter than the left.  I rebuilt the craft from scratch in the new build I still got the identical issue.

If returning from anywhere beyond LKO (i.e Mun, Minmus even HKO) I can kiss the wings goodbye. 

Anyone else noticed anything similar?

Edited by SiWalder

3 hours ago, BigFatStupidHead said:

I've had some substantial slowdown in the VAB when moving or rotating parts with the widgets. Can anyone else confirm?

Can confirm, seeing it too. But it's not present in the stock game, some mod is doing this. 

58 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

I cannot. I fiddled quite a bit with the move widget (no rotation) when building a ship and there was no slowdown.

I have all the extra VAB animations (Kerbals and cars and whatnot) turned off, maybe that's it?

And I have all the animations turned off in the editor as well.

Edited by dok_377
New info.