Kerbal Space Program 1.8: “Moar Boosters!!!” Grand Discussion Thread

UomoCapra

3 hours ago, Mr.Equador said:

Hi, I have got a little problem with this update.

Every time I restart my game the graphics setting come back to default ones. Does anybody know how to solve this? :P

https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/23909

I hit the same bug and on another thread someone (Vandest) posted a work-around.

We are already working on a fix but in the meantime the work around for this issue is changing your Regional Format to English (US).

Hopefully this helps.

Edited by Lathari
Added Vandest as solution finder

10 hours ago, BeanThruster said:

Am I the only one here experiencing a radically different behavior of the atmosphere? At least, Kerbin atmosphere (didn't check other bodies)? I had just completed the design of my own family of SSTO cargos to LKO, but in ksp 1.8everything has changed. Ascending and reentry paths are different, it seems that the drag has decreased, but at the same time the heat delivered to an ascending or descending vehicle  has increased. I have RV105 thruster blocks on my SSTO wings which now happily blow up, and this had never happened before. I cant initiate the descent whith my usual aerobraking maneuver (that is, setting a 50-60 degrees attitude), because my SSTO light up with temperature indicators like a Christmas tree. The result is that it takes a forever lasting shallow descent profile to land safely. 

I looked through the changelog, but I didn't find any explicit item that could  explain all of this. So what? 

9 hours ago, SiWalder said:

Me too - - there's certainly a bug of some kind - - see my post on the previous page

We are already looking at this bug, thanks for the report.

On 10/17/2019 at 8:19 AM, RealKerbal3x said:

Indeed...

@steve_v :)

It will be a great day when wheels work properly, and none too soon. History dampens my optimism, but we shall see.

On 10/17/2019 at 1:41 AM, UomoCapra said:

Implement Unity Incremental Garbage Collection.

This sounds nice too :)

Performance improvements

Ditto. Always welcome.

Joysticks and gamepads on Linux are again recognized and usable.

Finally.
Still kinda liquided that Squad filed this under #BlameUnity and left it to rot for over a year while modders worked on the problem for free, but fixes is fixes I guess, even absurdly late ones.

...Skip to later in the thread...
Oh goodie, new bugs. Always with the new bugs, guess I'll wait for 1.8.{whatever last-minute patch we end up at}, as usual.

6 hours ago, BigFatStupidHead said:

It seems to be throwing a huge fit about nullrefs with the rotation servos. Something about checksymmetry. Is there a way to copy the console output?

...maybe the log? I need more coffee.

[EXC 14:49:42.487] NullReferenceException
	Expansions.Serenity.ModuleRoboticRotationServo.CheckSymmetry () (at <2f09e2f5ae2d4c39b733b9f146e6c807>:0)
	Expansions.Serenity.ModuleRoboticRotationServo.OnEditorPartEvent (ConstructionEventType evt, Part p) (at <2f09e2f5ae2d4c39b733b9f146e6c807>:0)
	EventData`2[T,U].Fire (T data0, U data1) (at <2f09e2f5ae2d4c39b733b9f146e6c807>:0)
	UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
	EventData`2:Fire(ConstructionEventType, Part)
	EditorLogic:onOffsetGizmoUpdate(Vector3)
	EditorGizmos.GizmoOffset:OnHandleMove(GizmoOffsetHandle, Vector3, Single)
	EditorGizmos.GizmoOffsetHandle:On_MouseDrag()
	EditorGizmos.GizmoHandle:OnMouseDrag()
	MouseEventsHandlerBase:OnMouseDrag()
	UnityEngine.SendMouseEvents:DoSendMouseEvents(Int32)
[ERR 14:49:42.488] Exception handling event onEditorPartEvent in class ModuleRoboticRotationServo:System.NullReferenceException
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Component.get_transform(UnityEngine.Component)
  at Expansions.Serenity.ModuleRoboticRotationServo.CheckSymmetry () [0x00068] in <2f09e2f5ae2d4c39b733b9f146e6c807>:0 
  at Expansions.Serenity.ModuleRoboticRotationServo.OnEditorPartEvent (ConstructionEventType evt, Part p) [0x00085] in <2f09e2f5ae2d4c39b733b9f146e6c807>:0 
  at EventData`2[T,U].Fire (T data0, U data1) [0x000b0] in <2f09e2f5ae2d4c39b733b9f146e6c807>:0 

So about a dozen of these each time I try to pull or rotate something with a gizmo.

Well, there's your answer. They fixed something about robotics symmetry in 1.8 and that must be a byproduct of this change. You can file a bug report here: https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/
You can copy the log file from the game folder and attach it directly to the report. 

Edited by dok_377

3 hours ago, dok_377 said:

Well, there's your answer. They fixed something about robotics symmetry in 1.8 and that must be a byproduct of this change. You can file a bug report here: https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/
You can copy the log file from the game folder and attach it directly to the report. 

I can't figure out what triggers it. First time I used the VAB, gizmos were broken, then worked properly for a while after reloading the game before breaking again, and then I couldn't get them to break at all. Intermittent errors are the best.

13 minutes ago, Goody1981 said:

I am probably misremembering some wonderful dream I had, but it was my understanding that this update would add proper behaviour to the engine plumes? I.e. vacuum expansion ala realplume... but it seems not?

I believe you are thinking of things discussed for KSP2.

10 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

Its probably either the file is read only, or you don't have the permissions to edit the file.

That sort of thing can be very dependent on the operating system and how you installed KSP.  I use Linux Mint, and I have had problems like that, which I take as a signal I need to run an fsck and reboot. Windows is different, but it does have a "portable" download in zip format which is worth having a copy of, even if you install with the .exe

One thing I do is install a new KSP version to its own folder, with its own specific launcher, rather than overwriting anything. So I can always go back to the v1.7.3 game I have running. It's maybe easier to do that in Linux than in Windows, but KSP seems to be pretty good about sticking to its own bit of the file system.

anyone know why a fresh ksp 1.8 work with cpu/gpu i7, but still dont work with geforce 940mx,after hours of investigation?

Tried tweaking all kinds of graphic settings in the nvidea settings-noting work,before asking i tried:

1)fresh install-2th time downloaded to prevent downloadfailure

2)no mods-pure stock

3)downloaded and installed newest nvidea driver for my g-card with new installation settings

4)dxdiag says dx11 64 bit

5)disabled all not needed settings in nvidea programm(shadercache,puffer,a.s.o)

issue:ksp window white screen and stops loading into ram after 600-700mb,and the cursor turned into the Spinny Wheel of Death :(

minilog-

Spoiler

[LOG 12:06:34.696] ******* Log Initiated for Kerbal Space Program - 1.8.0.2686 (WindowsPlayer x64) en-us *******
Kerbal Space Program - 1.8.0.2686 (WindowsPlayer x64) en-us

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz (4)
RAM: 8075
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 940MX (1986MB)
SM: 50 (Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.0])
RT Formats: ARGB32, Depth, ARGBHalf, Shadowmap, RGB565, ARGB4444, ARGB1555, Default, ARGB2101010, DefaultHDR, ARGB64, ARGBFloat, RGFloat, RGHalf, RFloat, RHalf, R8, ARGBInt, RGInt, RInt, BGRA32, RGB111110Float, RG32, RGBAUShort, RG16, BGRA10101010_XR, BGR101010_XR, R16

Log started: Sat, Oct 19, 2019 12:06:34

thats all then it stops,

thanksful for any tips.

BK

Edited by Burning Kan
edited 19.10.19

On 10/18/2019 at 2:34 AM, SiWalder said:

I've found that all my existing Spaceplanes can accelerate at a much steeper angle than they could in 1.7.3.  Also on re-entry the right wing begins to overheat almost immediately upon getting under 70k.

If I'm returning from LKO it survives, but remains right on the brink of exploding all the way to landing, even when stationary having landed the gauge is still there and is still over 70% of the way to exploding.

some other parts of the plane have a similar issue but to a lesser degree.  the left wing has the issue but doesn't get as close to exploding as the right wing.  I've messed around with the angel and whatever I try the right wing is always hotter than the left.  I rebuilt the craft from scratch in the new build I still got the identical issue.

If returning from anywhere beyond LKO (i.e Mun, Minmus even HKO) I can kiss the wings goodbye. 

Anyone else noticed anything similar?

Oh my god I've been searching forums since 1.8, this is EXACTLY what is happening to me too!  Same thing, right wing getting hot, way hotter than the rest, and most of the plane showing temp gauges.  I can blow my planes to pieces if I set it radial out, as high as 64k m in Kerbin's atmosphere and less than 2400 m/s.  I can only maintain an entry profile that is 5-10 degrees outside of prograde anymore without serious overheating, and even that has most of the plane way hotter than normal.  This is all simply returning from a cheated circular orbit at 86,750.  Curious, are you using the Big S delta wing?

On 10/18/2019 at 6:17 AM, BeanThruster said:

Am I the only one here experiencing a radically different behavior of the atmosphere? At least, Kerbin atmosphere (didn't check other bodies)? I had just completed the design of my own family of SSTO cargos to LKO, but in ksp 1.8everything has changed. Ascending and reentry paths are different, it seems that the drag has decreased, but at the same time the heat delivered to an ascending or descending vehicle  has increased. I have RV105 thruster blocks on my SSTO wings which now happily blow up, and this had never happened before. I cant initiate the descent whith my usual aerobraking maneuver (that is, setting a 50-60 degrees attitude), because my SSTO light up with temperature indicators like a Christmas tree. The result is that it takes a forever lasting shallow descent profile to land safely. 

I looked through the changelog, but I didn't find any explicit item that could  explain all of this. So what? 

THIS! THIS! THIS!  I've been so frustrated that last couple days with my SSTO's, I'm glad (well, not really) that I've now found two other people with the same issue.

2 hours ago, GunnyErmy said:

Oh my god I've been searching forums since 1.8, this is EXACTLY what is happening to me too!  Same thing, right wing getting hot, way hotter than the rest, and most of the plane showing temp gauges.  I can blow my planes to pieces if I set it radial out, as high as 64k m in Kerbin's atmosphere and less than 2400 m/s.  I can only maintain an entry profile that is 5-10 degrees outside of prograde anymore without serious overheating, and even that has most of the plane way hotter than normal.  This is all simply returning from a cheated circular orbit at 86,750.  Curious, are you using the Big S delta wing?

I am using the Big S delta wing for my spaceplane and it has the same issue. Someone beat me to the punch with a bug report and @SiWalder posted to it as well. It appears that Squad is aware of the bug. Here's a link to the bug report, if you're interested.

https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/23966

3 hours ago, GunnyErmy said:

Hi Mate, yeah Big S Delta wing, although multiple areas experience exaggerated heating the Big S wing to the right of the screen gets it most.  Someone has kindly logged it, also KSP team have acknowledged they are looking at it.

https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/23966 - upvoting will help.

In the meantime I've been playing all day with the temp workaround suggested in the notes from k-ohara5a5a which makes the game playable again.  

"As a temporary compensation, players can reduce 'Convection Factor' in alt-F12 settings or machConvectionFactor in physics.cfg from 7 down to 1."

Edited by SiWalder
getting left and right mixed up (FP)

1 hour ago, SiWalder said:

Hi Mate, yeah Big S Delta wing, although multiple areas experience exaggerated heating the Big S wing to the right of the screen gets it most.  Someone has kindly logged it, also KSP team have acknowledged they are looking at it.

In the meantime I've been playing all day with the temp workaround suggested in the notes from k-ohara5a5a which makes the game playable again.  

"As a temporary compensation, players can reduce 'Convection Factor' in alt-F12 settings or machConvectionFactor in physics.cfg from 7 down to 1."

Awesome, I upvoted.  In my testing, that workaround is actually what I already came up with.  Another odd thing, however, and may or may not be significant - trying to enter prograde produced all of the problems we've described, but on a whim, I decided to come in completely retrograde, and a weird thing happened.  As long as I was completely retrograde, not a single temp gauge popped up.  And it should - I have 3 drogue chutes on the back of that particular design that would have displayed temp gauges or blown up before 1.8 doing that.  Pitching up or down from retro brought the right wing temp gauge and more back pretty quick, but it was night and day from coming in prograde.  Give it a shot, see if you guys can reproduce that.  I also took my spaceplane designs and completely changed the wings to not use the Big S, and still had temp issues starting with the right wing, so not sure if it's Big S related after all.

57 minutes ago, GunnyErmy said:

Awesome, I upvoted.  In my testing, that workaround is actually what I already came up with.  Another odd thing, however, and may or may not be significant - trying to enter prograde produced all of the problems we've described, but on a whim, I decided to come in completely retrograde, and a weird thing happened.  As long as I was completely retrograde, not a single temp gauge popped up.  And it should - I have 3 drogue chutes on the back of that particular design that would have displayed temp gauges or blown up before 1.8 doing that.  Pitching up or down from retro brought the right wing temp gauge and more back pretty quick, but it was night and day from coming in prograde.  Give it a shot, see if you guys can reproduce that.  I also took my spaceplane designs and completely changed the wings to not use the Big S, and still had temp issues starting with the right wing, so not sure if it's Big S related after all.

Can confirm that it is not a Big S only problem. Right side of my SSTO (160 parts, ~300t wet) overheats quite readily. I'm using multiple wing connectors to make the wings. This plane flew ok (not great but ok) before 1.8, now it is impossible to land. The drag seems asymmetric (haven't heard anyone complain about that). I tried the retro entry. It's strangely stable and does not overheat or start tumbling unless I go outside retrograde facing by ~1.5 degrees. Maybe I should put the engines at the nose and fly it that way. 

6 hours ago, SiWalder said:

You can also increase the radiation factor to about 60 from 1. But if you bring up the debugging info, two values are not changing. Conv Flux and Int Flux are both reading zero and don't change through out the tests I did. (atmospheric, hypersonic flights.)

Edited by shdwlrd

4 hours ago, AngrybobH said:

Can confirm that it is not a Big S only problem. Right side of my SSTO (160 parts, ~300t wet) overheats quite readily. I'm using multiple wing connectors to make the wings. This plane flew ok (not great but ok) before 1.8, now it is impossible to land. The drag seems asymmetric (haven't heard anyone complain about that). I tried the retro entry. It's strangely stable and does not overheat or start tumbling unless I go outside retrograde facing by ~1.5 degrees. Maybe I should put the engines at the nose and fly it that way. 

I confirm that. Any kind of wing  and stabilizer overheat, not only Big S. I didn’t notice asymmetric drag, but for sure drag is not as strong as it used to be in 1.7.

it is not that bad, I can effortlessy lift huge loads into LKO like I never did before. I feel like I’m kinda cheating, just a little  bit. The problem is, ehm, taking your rig down without blowing it up 

On 10/19/2019 at 1:32 AM, nestor said:

We are already looking at this bug, thanks for the report.

I noticed on Eve that the ships I put in the very upper atmosphere (above 85 km) light up like Chrismas trees from a 100 km low orbit. Before it used to do do that around 75 km.

Secondly, I noticed that my preferences are not saved when I quit the game so I have to reset theose each time I load.

On 10/18/2019 at 9:24 PM, Mr.Equador said:

Hi, I have got a little problem with this update.

Every time I restart my game the graphics setting come back to default ones. Does anybody know how to solve this? :P

The game preferences aren't savec from one game session to another, you have to reset your preferences each time in the settings (in main menu) so the textures are the new ones.

On 10/18/2019 at 10:33 PM, klesh said:

Do you have your game set to Spanish perhaps? There is a bug with resetting settings files, and until it's fixed you can set the game to English and it wont reset.  They know about it and will hopefully fix it soon. 

No, it hasn't been touched.  I just put a 0.625m reaction wheel on call it good.

There are several outstanding Making History bugs that I hope eventually get some attention.

The MEM ascend stage RCS is meant to function when the ascend stage is alone, not when it is coupled with a descend stage.  Add RCS ports on the descend stage to balance it out (and add RCS fuel tanks as well or you'll have not enough RCS fuel for ascend).

But this the difficult option, the easiest is to add a reaction wheel of course.