Kerbal Space Program 1.8: “Moar Boosters!!!” Grand Discussion Thread

UomoCapra

On 10/19/2019 at 1:32 AM, nestor said:

We are already looking at this bug, thanks for the report.

Great, thanks!

Is this by chance related to the issue that my terrier engines get overheated even when they are supposed to be shielded by a heatshield? (Like I reported here: https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/23924)

Hmmm, is the animation with the geologist's hammer when picking up a volcanic rock on Eve (with the Breaking Ground DLC) new? I don't recall seeing that before. But today when I asked Bob to pick up a volcanic rock, he took out a geologist's hammer and hammered away. Cute! :) (Yeah, he got a bit carried away there, there was nothing left of the rock when he was done.)

And btw: is it "controlled flight into terrain" when my Eve-Plane crashes into a mountain-side while I'm busy writing on the Forums? (I mean the Kerbals should have been in control!) :cool:

Edited by AHHans
fixed typo

1 hour ago, HiHoSilver28 said:

I've noticed that whenever my Kerbals are running uphill on Kerbin that they start to sink into the terrain until they explode. Is this an issue for anyone else? I'm taking screenshots now and I'm planning to submit a bug report as well.

I have seen others report it on these forums. No bug report yet that I am aware of. 

4 hours ago, HiHoSilver28 said:

I've noticed that whenever my Kerbals are running uphill on Kerbin that they start to sink into the terrain until they explode. Is this an issue for anyone else? I'm taking screenshots now and I'm planning to submit a bug report as well.

I haven't seen that but I landed a spaceplane engines down on Ike then used RCS to put it on its' wheels. the wheels (large landing gear in back, medium pair in front) sank into the ground and had no touching the ground animation. It slid down the hill with no way to control steering, friction , or braking. The rest of the plane seemed to contact the ground just fine like I landed it without the wheels down. Seems like it's probably related.

No need to run a list, but a lot of Mods have popped up on SpaceDock in v1.8.0 versions. We now have things like improved life support options. the sorts of stuff I routinely use, as well as several general-utility Mods. Not everything appears on SpaceDock, MechJeb is one notable exception, but we're past the stage of being limited to stock KSP.

I now have mods such as Snacks! and M.O.L.E available, giving new options and problems, while RealPlume has appeared for visual enhancement.

I've also tested older mods. I ran a launch with some relatively ancient parts, including a command pod from the old B9 pack, tanks and engines from Modular Rocket Systems, and with the Community Resource Pack installed

The bug(s)/feature(s) around drag and re-entry heating are holding me back from moving out of sandbox mode. Right now, it's as much "Moar 'chutes!" as "Moar Boosters!"

15 hours ago, Boyster said:

So sorry for repeating, but is there a confirmed aero/drag bug?

I was considering making some new rockets with the new shiny srbs but if there is a confirmed bug i would rather wait for fix.

Some of it may be features rather than bugs: drag is lower and heating higher. There are some definite, and acknowledged, bugs, things like more heating on the right-hand wing than on the left. What I do see on ascent looks wrong, but manageable. I am hesitating about moving out of sandbox mode.

The new SRBs are effectively moving some large and small SRBs from being Mod-available to stock: not identical but extending the range of options in similar ways. When I tried using them, it was very easy in v1.8.0 to go too fast, too low.

22 hours ago, Boyster said:

So sorry for repeating, but is there a confirmed aero/drag bug?

I was considering making some new rockets with the new shiny srbs but if there is a confirmed bug i would rather wait for fix.

There is. Someone on the bug page found a possible workaround in the meantime. It looks like if you copy 'PartDatabase.cfg' from an older working version into the KSP-1.8.0 directory and edit to say "version = 1.8.0.2686", that should fix the drag and heating issues. I have not had the chance to test that method out, though. (I just turned heating down to 0% until an official patch comes out, since I'm playing with permadeath for my Kerbals)

https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/23966

Edited by HiHoSilver28
More information

I like the new drag physics, airplanes handle better. However..

Keep encountering many bugs with 1.8.

the latest bug this morning is that in career mode, accepted a mission to test the LV -909 Terrier in a splash down test. Set up the rocket and went to launch pad and boom, mission failed without ever launching. Got another mission this time to test LV-909 on the launchpad. Same thing happened again.

Stopped playing 1.8 until some bugs are fixed.

25 minutes ago, fragtzack said:

the latest bug this morning is that in career mode, accepted a mission to test the LV -909 Terrier in a splash down test. Set up the rocket and went to launch pad and boom, mission failed without ever launching. Got another mission this time to test LV-909 on the launchpad. Same thing happened again.

This has actually been a bug for awhile. So not a 1.8 issue. 

1 hour ago, fragtzack said:

I like the new drag physics, airplanes handle better. However..

Keep encountering many bugs with 1.8.

Stopped playing 1.8 until some bugs are fixed.

While aero changes are not inherrently bad (especially the change from the soupy atmosphere to much more like reality), with the changes made in 1.8, my rockets that were previously stable are now unstable. I'm curious if once they fix the reentry overheating, if that's related to the way the atmosphere drag physics changed with 1.8. Will fixing the overheating return the atmosphere to the way it played in 1.7?

4 hours ago, HiHoSilver28 said:

There is. Someone on the bug page found a possible workaround in the meantime. It looks like if you copy 'PartDatabase.cfg' from an older working version into the KSP-1.8.0 directory and edit to say "version = 1.8.0.2686", that should fix the drag and heating issues. I have not had the chance to test that method out, though. (I just turned heating down to 0% until an official patch comes out, since I'm playing with permadeath for my Kerbals)

https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/23966

A later comment recommends deleting the "version =" line. I shall rename the v1.8.0 version to PartDatabase.cfg.original before copying over and editing the file from 1.7.3

Best check the bug comments before you do. Workarounds may change.

The v1.7.3 file doesn't have a "version =" line when it's new It gets added when the file is modified

It seems to make a difference, but the capsule still came down very fast and hot.

On 10/18/2019 at 1:21 PM, tater said:

Did they ever fix the lander ascent stage on Making History such that the built-in RCS actually works (or where the CM is, whatever it is that makes it tumble if used as a 2-stage lander)?

That’s not so much a bug but a design issue. As you probably know, it’s the only command pod without a reaction wheel. Complicating this is that the RCS design, based on the Apollo Lunar Module, was meant for a very specific center of mass with only a specially built descent stage. 

So, yeah, the MEM sucks to fly only on RCS with a lower stage, but only if you try to use only the MEM RCS. Just add a descent stage RCS and match it to the craft’s center of mass in the VAB, then disable the MEM RCS for a descent/ascent two stage vehicle until you are ready to stage the MEM. A single stage craft could just keep MEM RCS enabled with secondary RCS and a lot of monopropellant with no reaction wheel. 

13 hours ago, Maxamaicus said:

Any reason why the shrimp and mite SRBs are so weak? They have less max thrust than two separatron SRBs.

It's not that they're low, it's that the sepratron is high.

I've not used them except in testing but they seem fine. You're not going to use them to lift a Falcon Heavy off the ground but for tiny craft they perform as I'd expect.