Kerbal Space Program 1.8: “Moar Boosters!!!” Grand Discussion Thread

UomoCapra

3 hours ago, OrbitsR4Sissies said:

KSP 1.8 alone adds most of the new boosters.

But you'll need the Making History DLC to get an additional booster.

If this isn't your question, try rephrasing and clarifying for us, or check the Technical Support thread if you think the issue may be a bug.

(Update: Poster's question now appears in Technical Support, so never mind.)

PROBLEM FINISH!I delete the older Moder2.6.25

Thanks, 

KSP:1.8.1, *64,/macbook pro2019/ macOS:10.14.6

Problem:

• The game is stuck in all solid thruster files during the loading process. Although I tried to delete the .cfg file of a solid propeller, the parts of the next solid propeller will still be stuck.

Mod:

• All mods have been updated by me to the latest version already available (2019/11/01)

Link:

Edited by Aaron11

Also I get a problem that I stuck in the last piece during the loading of the game. It shows that it is loading the extension package. But I didn't buy the official expansion pack... Do you know what is going on?

Thanks

help!!!

Edited by Aaron11

On 10/31/2019 at 9:23 AM, Traffodil said:

I don''t have this mod (I presume this is a mod?)

Thx.

Yep, Firespitter is a mod, mostly centred on aviation, with a .dll that a lot of other mods have used over the years. The last version I have is for KSP 1.7.x and the .dll in that is file-dated 2018. So I'd not go out of the sandbox with it in KSP1.8.1

The way these things work, if a mod has Firespitter as a dependency, and includes the .dll, you'll see a Firespitter sub-folder in Game Data, and if somebody hasn't done that they have been a very naughty modder.

I don't know when a new Firespitter version will come out, and the aerodynamics problems in KSP1.8.0 will have delayed any release. This week has seen a bunch of widely-used mods see their first KSP1.8.x release, they're not aviation centred. We'll have to wait a bit longer, I think, if we're into the aviation side of things.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2019 at 12:04 AM, Wolf Baginski said:

I don't know when a new Firespitter version will come out, and the aerodynamics problems in KSP1.8.0 will have delayed any release. This week has seen a bunch of widely-used mods see their first KSP1.8.x release, they're not aviation centred. We'll have to wait a bit longer, I think, if we're into the aviation side of things.

It came out 3 weeks ago: https://github.com/snjo/Firespitter/releases

1 hour ago, SiWalder said:

Man the new Planet textures look awesome.  Is the plan to give this treatment to all the planets/moons?

I think so. In their latest KSP Loading SQUAD revealed the first of the planet revamps (IIRC Moho and Dres) that will be added in version 1.9.

After a few updates the whole Kerbol system should look shiny and new :wink:

18 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I think so. In their latest KSP Loading SQUAD revealed the first of the planet revamps (IIRC Moho and Dres) that will be added in version 1.9.

After a few updates the whole Kerbol system should look shiny and new :wink:

I really appreciate these.  It's been a while since I've been exited to do a grand tour (roving on each planet/moon for a few hours)

My ultimate wish tho would be for some kind of stock OPM, kinda mirroring our outer Solar system.
Maybe after they get the entire KSP objects migrated to these new textures... you just do not know.
It would make one HECK of a DLC tho (As long as they don't mess the Uranus analogue)

Don't know if this has been talked about, but aerodynamic behaviour has change majorly, and not in a good way. All my craft are now sluggish as hell. Even the ones specifically designed with aerodynamic instability which could hit over 40g while turning. Can someone enlighten me on this?

22 hours ago, Raptor kerman said:

Don't know if this has been talked about, but aerodynamic behaviour has change majorly, and not in a good way. All my craft are now sluggish as hell. Even the ones specifically designed with aerodynamic instability which could hit over 40g while turning. Can someone enlighten me on this?

Hi Mate, which version are you running?

not sure if this is useful info but,.

1.8.0 had a bug introduced relating to aerodynamic drag (which actually resulted in all my SSTO planes performing much better on the way to orbit)

1.8.1 had a fix to address the bug mentioned above.

On 12/5/2019 at 4:11 PM, SiWalder said:

Hi Mate, which version are you running?

not sure if this is useful info but,.

1.8.0 had a bug introduced relating to aerodynamic drag (which actually resulted in all my SSTO planes performing much better on the way to orbit)

1.8.1 had a fix to address the bug mentioned above.

I'm running 1.8.1

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 7:02 PM, Raptor kerman said:

I'm running 1.8.1

Hmmm, not sure.  unless you made your crafts in 1.8.0 (while the aerodynamic bug present was) and now that the bug is gone they seem more sluggish... ?

this is the closest I could find in the bug tracker for 1.8.1 https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/24437 which describes some apparent changes with regards to control surfaces feeling less responsive but it's not something I'd noticed myself.

2 hours ago, SiWalder said:

Hmmm, not sure.  unless you made your crafts in 1.8.0 (while the aerodynamic bug present was) and now that the bug is gone they seem more sluggish... ?

this is the closest I could find in the bug tracker for 1.8.1 https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/24437 which describes some apparent changes with regards to control surfaces feeling less responsive but it's not something I'd noticed myself.

nah, all made pre 1.8.

On 10/17/2019 at 8:24 AM, AccidentalDisassembly said:

Anyone else getting massive (~4-5 second long) freezes every 30 or 40 seconds or so? It "feels" like garbage collection gone insane... Happens both in editor and in flight (with only base game & both expansions installed, with MM - nothing else). Good times.

YES, I sure do and I'm glad I'm not the only one. I have updated all of my drivers etc, video card is good. No issues playing any other games or other versions of KSP. I only just bought breaking ground and do not have any earlier versions with Breaking Ground saved. So my vanilla version 1.8.0 and 1.8.1 both totally freeze to black screen after 2 - 30 mins. Only way I can get out of the freeze is to re-boot my laptop, which is not good.

• 5 weeks later...

I finally updated to 1.8 from 1.5.1 today because I wanted to play the DLC I bought way back for the first time. I have 80 mods installed and was wondering is the huge performance gain the clean install or is 1.8 that much better than 1.5? A bit of both for certain but 1.8 feels so much nicer. 

6 hours ago, dave1904 said:

A bit of both for certain but 1.8 feels so much nicer. 

I am very knew here and have been on 1.8.1 for a few months only. I have around 50 mods on mine and other than a few crashes It seems very fast and smooth to play. Some days Im fine with no problems at all. Usually I crash after many many hours of play, and if I crash at all, when I do, what I was doing is always fine when I get back. Seems fine to me knowing the incredible complexity of this simulator.

It amazes me to see so many things happening at once and the detail still blows my mind.

5 hours ago, Saturn5tony said:

I am very knew here and have been on 1.8.1 for a few months only. I have around 50 mods on mine and other than a few crashes It seems very fast and smooth to play. Some days Im fine with no problems at all. Usually I crash after many many hours of play, and if I crash at all, when I do, what I was doing is always fine when I get back. Seems fine to me knowing the incredible complexity of this simulator.

It amazes me to see so many things happening at once and the detail still blows my mind.

I think the crashes are memory leaks when its after a long session. For me KSP never crashes. It crashed yesterday for the first time in ages when I booted my huge 1.5.1 mod folder from a HDD for the first time oddly enough. Its a 120 mod game folder and I do not want to go looking why it crashed or if it had anything to do with being on a HDD vs SSD. A few crashes sounds like a bit to much to me. How much ram you have? 

2 hours ago, dave1904 said:

A few crashes sounds like a bit to much to me. How much ram you have? 

Got an OK gaming windows machine with 16Gig. I have no lag at all tho and I have heard many peeps talking about that with slower machines with low ram. I am on for about 6 to 8 hours at a time tho, so yea I play a bit much with this awesome program. So to me a crash here or there with a bunch of non-sqaud developers making extensions makes sense.

From what I understand there are a bunch of older mods whose people have left and are loaded with a few bugs here or there, especially with improvements with upgrades like 1.7.3 to 181.

2 minutes ago, Saturn5tony said:

Got an OK gaming windows machine with 16Gig. I have no lag at all tho and I have heard many peeps talking about that with slower machines with low ram. I am on for about 6 to 8 hours at a time tho, so yea I play a bit much with this awesome program. So to me a crash here or there with a bunch of non-sqaud developers making extensions makes sense.

From what I understand there are a bunch of older mods whose people have left and are loaded with a few bugs here or there, especially with improvements with upgrades like 1.7.3 to 181.

oh, I kind of avoid mods that are outdated. 

1 minute ago, dave1904 said:

oh, I kind of avoid mods that are outdated. 

You must define "outdated". There are some mods made for 1.3.1 that are still working flawlessly, even on 1.8.x

1 minute ago, Lisias said:

You must define "outdated". There are some mods made for 1.3.1 that are still working flawlessly, even on 1.8.x

The ones with bugs that can crash the game as he said. I am still using some parts(RCS trusters) from Aies that have not been modified since april 2013. That would mean they are from 0.19 :)  Some config files are from jan 2014. Thats still 0.23.  

5 hours ago, dave1904 said:

The ones with bugs that can crash the game as he said. I am still using some parts(RCS trusters) from Aies that have not been modified since april 2013. That would mean they are from 0.19 :)  Some config files are from jan 2014. Thats still 0.23.  

From that far back, I can't recall exactly what but some things about parts did change.  Not as bad as landing legs and wheels, which are unusable.  Maybe surface mounting-only parts might be okay.

14 hours ago, dave1904 said:

http://prntscr.com/ql6fwt Look at date modifed. The model is from 2013. 

Oh, I saw that from the previous post.  I just can't remember what changes happened to parts, besides some node adjustments around KSP 1.0/1.2 time and various problems with landing legs and wheels due to problems and changes with them in Unity.  You'd have to dig through the more detailed change notes of many KSP versions to be sure.  Those with better knowledge of what changes when with parts could comment better.

2 hours ago, Jacke said:

Oh, I saw that from the previous post.  I just can't remember what changes happened to parts, besides some node adjustments around KSP 1.0/1.2 time and various problems with landing legs and wheels due to problems and changes with them in Unity.  You'd have to dig through the more detailed change notes of many KSP versions to be sure.  Those with better knowledge of what changes when with parts could comment better.

I dont think engines can work from that far back without changes to them.