Kerbal Space Program 1.8: “Moar Boosters!!!” Grand Discussion Thread

UomoCapra

Am I the only one here experiencing a radically different behavior of the atmosphere? At least, Kerbin atmosphere (didn't check other bodies)? I had just completed the design of my own family of SSTO cargos to LKO, but in ksp 1.8everything has changed. Ascending and reentry paths are different, it seems that the drag has decreased, but at the same time the heat delivered to an ascending or descending vehicle  has increased. I have RV105 thruster blocks on my SSTO wings which now happily blow up, and this had never happened before. I cant initiate the descent whith my usual aerobraking maneuver (that is, setting a 50-60 degrees attitude), because my SSTO light up with temperature indicators like a Christmas tree. The result is that it takes a forever lasting shallow descent profile to land safely. 

I looked through the changelog, but I didn't find any explicit item that could  explain all of this. So what? 

45 minutes ago, BeanThruster said:

Am I the only one here experiencing a radically different behavior of the atmosphere? At least, Kerbin atmosphere (didn't check other bodies)? I had just completed the design of my own family of SSTO cargos to LKO, but in ksp 1.8everything has changed. Ascending and reentry paths are different, it seems that the drag has decreased, but at the same time the heat delivered to an ascending or descending vehicle  has increased. I have RV105 thruster blocks on my SSTO wings which now happily blow up, and this had never happened before. I cant initiate the descent whith my usual aerobraking maneuver (that is, setting a 50-60 degrees attitude), because my SSTO light up with temperature indicators like a Christmas tree. The result is that it takes a forever lasting shallow descent profile to land safely. 

I looked through the changelog, but I didn't find any explicit item that could  explain all of this. So what? 

Me too - - there's certainly a bug of some kind - - see my post on the previous page

16 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

@Wolf Baginski I was using exaggeration and comic sans as an attempt at sarcastic comedy that appears to have failed.  Perhaps suggesting that "Mods may or may not break this new version of KSP" would have been less confusing.

I ran several times without Mods before I went looking for updates. I think that any new KSP version, you should install to a new folder, because it's such a pain trying to find the problem if you just throw everything at the new version.

I hope that at least I am a different sort of idiot.

2 hours ago, SiWalder said:

Me too - - there's certainly a bug of some kind - - see my post on the previous page

I was looking for someone else experiencing the same issue, didnt see your post before. 

Btw, I'm not using mods, except for chatterer and kerbal alarm clock

Edited by BeanThruster

6 hours ago, SiWalder said:

I've found that all my existing Spaceplanes can accelerate at a much steeper angle than they could in 1.7.3.  Also on re-entry the right wing begins to overheat almost immediately upon getting under 70k.

If I'm returning from LKO it survives, but remains right on the brink of exploding all the way to landing, even when stationary having landed the gauge is still there and is still over 70% of the way to exploding.

some other parts of the plane have a similar issue but to a lesser degree.  the left wing has the issue but doesn't get as close to exploding as the right wing.  I've messed around with the angel and whatever I try the right wing is always hotter than the left.  I rebuilt the craft from scratch in the new build I still got the identical issue.

If returning from anywhere beyond LKO (i.e Mun, Minmus even HKO) I can kiss the wings goodbye. 

Anyone else noticed anything similar?

yes, me, see my post. 

I'm experiencing exactly the same thing. The right part of the plane (wings and rcs) is more prone to overheating. To the point that, if I roll over the plane upside down, the oveheated wing goes to the left and cools down a little bit, while the other one, being on the right, oveheats.

Edited by BeanThruster

14 hours ago, Zedwardson said:

I run MechJeb, Final Frontiers, Kerbal Alarm Clock, and Tanteres for soviet/russian themed objects.

The only issue I have is a minor mechJeb issue on pull down menus looking odd.  I did have a scare that I thought staging was broke but I had opened the docking controls.  

I just tried the latest Dev build of MechJeb, and it looks to have fixed that bug. Some of the general KSP changes might need slightly different ascent profiles, or slightly different boosters. 

6 hours ago, dok_377 said:

Can confirm, seeing it too. But it's not present in the stock game, some mod is doing this. 

And I have all the animations turned off in the editor as well.

I am running a stock game, but I have both expansions installed. Maybe something in one of them?

7 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

I cannot. I fiddled quite a bit with the move widget (no rotation) when building a ship and there was no slowdown.

I have all the extra VAB animations (Kerbals and cars and whatnot) turned off, maybe that's it?

That might be it. I have everything on.

Edited by BigFatStupidHead
Bizarre forum error

22 minutes ago, BigFatStupidHead said:

I am running a stock game, but I have both expansions installed. Maybe something in one of them?

That might be it. I have everything on.

I will see if it will happen again on my end. For now I'm not experiencing it anymore, god knows for what reason. Try to check the console for errors (alt+f12) when it happens again, it could be useful. 

3 hours ago, BeanThruster said:

3 hours ago, SiWalder said:

I also had this problem last night when landing my spaceplane. I was returning from <90km orbit and at around 60km, everything started to overheat, including my Big-S delta wing. My medium landing gear almost exploded. This should not be the case. I'm going to check the buglist when I get home this evening and if it hasn't been added, I'll take screenshots of the same plane reentering at Kerbin, Eve, Laythe, & Duna using 1.7 vs. 1.8 and add it as a bug.

1 hour ago, BeanThruster said:

yes, me, see my post. 

I'm experiencing exactly the same thing. The right part of the plane (wings and rcs) is more prone to overheating. To the point that, if I roll over the plane upside down, the oveheated wing goes to the left and cools down a little bit, while the other one, being on the right, oveheats.

Hi Mate - I can confirm the same behaviour is consistent in my game.  I've just tested and the overheating occurs most whichever wing/components are on the right side of the screen.

I also started a new game with 50% re-entry heating, hoping that would be a temp workaround however the behaviour was identical.

I Also noticed a post about a bug where the 10m heatshield was considerably less effective which is actually logged on the bugs.kerbalspaceprogram page.  I wonder if they are related.

I've already mentioned this in the very old original thread, where I'd also posted a couple of details of changes to the .cfg files that help reliable operations.

The very old Phoenix Industries Ascent Vehicle, which is based on the movie "The Martian", still works in v1.8.0. There have been no obvious changes from the version I had working in v1.7.0 As noted in the old thread, the Base section stalls the loading process if Community Resource Pack isn't present. With stock engines it doesn't quite carry enough fuel to achieve Kerbin orbit.

There are all sorts of things, such as language support, which aren't in this mod, but I reckon it's a good basic test. If this works, any old mod that doesn't depend on an external .dll is worth a try, if you like it. Whether it uses a .dll or not, I would be cautious over anything which uses an animation

After the update, when I hit the brake of aircraft running on runway, it locks the wheels too early than v1.7.3. It's like, v1.7.3 had Anti-lock brake but v1.8 has lost it. (Same aircraft and same setting, auto friction control is on)

Edited by soridia

4 minutes ago, VoidSquid said:

What or who is forcing you to restart again from scratch?

Mind you, I play exclusively in sandbox. It was either a KSP update breaking a mod, or a mod update causing the game to delete many of my active crafts or making fundamental changes on how the parts worked. Which forced a redesign or replacement of the crafts I was using. 

Since most of my active crafts were surface bases, you can imagine how much that can suck having to rebuild them after every update.

heh, looks like MORE boosters and more realism at reentry! My old Spaceplanes overheated. Descent window become more narrow and more interesting :)))) 

ps: but looks like bug :))))

Edited by *MajorTom*

1 hour ago, Mr.Equador said:

Hi, I have got a little problem with this update.

Every time I restart my game the graphics setting come back to default ones. Does anybody know how to solve this? :P

Do you have your game set to Spanish perhaps? There is a bug with resetting settings files, and until it's fixed you can set the game to English and it wont reset.  They know about it and will hopefully fix it soon. 

3 hours ago, tater said:

Did they ever fix the lander ascent stage on Making History such that the built-in RCS actually works (or where the CM is, whatever it is that makes it tumble if used as a 2-stage lander)?

No, it hasn't been touched.  I just put a 0.625m reaction wheel on call it good.

There are several outstanding Making History bugs that I hope eventually get some attention.

Edited by klesh

10 minutes ago, klesh said:

Do you have your game set to Spanish perhaps? There is a bug with resetting settings files, and until it's fixed you can set the game to English and it wont reset.  They know about it and will hopefully fix it soon. 

My game is set to English as always, I tried deleting settings.cfg file and editing it with notepad++ but when I start the game it just goes back to default settings. I don't really know what to do about it. :(

17 minutes ago, Mr.Equador said:

My game is set to English as always, I tried deleting settings.cfg file and editing it with notepad++ but when I start the game it just goes back to default settings. I don't really know what to do about it. :(

I was sure your name was betraying your Spanish language setting!  Have you tried setting the settings file to read-only?  I know that doesn't work with the other-than-english reset settings bug, but maybe yours is different.  Worth a try.

11 minutes ago, klesh said:

I was sure your name was betraying your Spanish language setting!  Have you tried setting the settings file to read-only?  I know that doesn't work with the other-than-english reset settings bug, but maybe yours is different.  Worth a try.

Tried to set the file to read-only but game starts with default settings without changing the settings.cfg file ha! All I really care about is the Scenery settings in Graphisc section because I can't aply terrain scatters without restarting the game. 

If you have any other ideas I would be glad to hear them :D

5 hours ago, dok_377 said:

I will see if it will happen again on my end. For now I'm not experiencing it anymore, god knows for what reason. Try to check the console for errors (alt+f12) when it happens again, it could be useful. 

It seems to be throwing a huge fit about nullrefs with the rotation servos. Something about checksymmetry. Is there a way to copy the console output?

...maybe the log? I need more coffee.

[EXC 14:49:42.487] NullReferenceException
	Expansions.Serenity.ModuleRoboticRotationServo.CheckSymmetry () (at <2f09e2f5ae2d4c39b733b9f146e6c807>:0)
	Expansions.Serenity.ModuleRoboticRotationServo.OnEditorPartEvent (ConstructionEventType evt, Part p) (at <2f09e2f5ae2d4c39b733b9f146e6c807>:0)
	EventData`2[T,U].Fire (T data0, U data1) (at <2f09e2f5ae2d4c39b733b9f146e6c807>:0)
	UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
	EventData`2:Fire(ConstructionEventType, Part)
	EditorLogic:onOffsetGizmoUpdate(Vector3)
	EditorGizmos.GizmoOffset:OnHandleMove(GizmoOffsetHandle, Vector3, Single)
	EditorGizmos.GizmoOffsetHandle:On_MouseDrag()
	EditorGizmos.GizmoHandle:OnMouseDrag()
	MouseEventsHandlerBase:OnMouseDrag()
	UnityEngine.SendMouseEvents:DoSendMouseEvents(Int32)
[ERR 14:49:42.488] Exception handling event onEditorPartEvent in class ModuleRoboticRotationServo:System.NullReferenceException
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Component.get_transform(UnityEngine.Component)
  at Expansions.Serenity.ModuleRoboticRotationServo.CheckSymmetry () [0x00068] in <2f09e2f5ae2d4c39b733b9f146e6c807>:0 
  at Expansions.Serenity.ModuleRoboticRotationServo.OnEditorPartEvent (ConstructionEventType evt, Part p) [0x00085] in <2f09e2f5ae2d4c39b733b9f146e6c807>:0 
  at EventData`2[T,U].Fire (T data0, U data1) [0x000b0] in <2f09e2f5ae2d4c39b733b9f146e6c807>:0 

So about a dozen of these each time I try to pull or rotate something with a gizmo.

Edited by BigFatStupidHead

49 minutes ago, Mr.Equador said:

I think I found the bug in the console! It says that access to the path to settings.cfg is denied, got any idea why?

Its probably either the file is read only, or you don't have the permissions to edit the file.