The 1.8 Mod Armageddon

nwillard

1 hour ago, nwillard said:

So, plenty of mods are probably good and broken now. Which ones have you noticed?

The ones with .dll's, ones that use DXT3 textures, and ones that reference shaders ... vOv
So... *all* of them?... LOL
j/k (other than anything that has .dll's (ie plugins))

• Updated MechJeb to the new dev release
  • I had to remove KERs setting XML files because it threw errors on loading them and the display was broken (the same had been reported on the KER thread some months before 1.8)
  • Some of KERs readouts don't display any values, e.g. in the vessel section
  • RCSBuildAid throws NullRefs in the VAB
  • Kerbalism dev builds don't load. I'd need to update to Mono 6 to try and compile it myself
  • a weird pink rectangle appeared on the VAB floor. not sure if Editor Extensions Redux or FShangarExtender or some other mod is the cause
  • the mouse wheel scroll direction is reversed - I'll have a look at the settings

I'll go fly gimballing boosters in a sandbox for now before I can return to my just-started Kerbalism career :D

Edited by HansAcker

Moving to Add-on Discussions.

7 hours ago, nwillard said:

So, plenty of mods are probably good and broken now. Which ones have you noticed?

The bad news is that it's basically all of them that contain any code.

The good news is that it's really easy to make the update, so I expect that modders will be pretty quick to catch up. I've already updated all of mine, for example.

1 hour ago, 1990eam said:

How do you prevent the game from updating?

It's easy. You just always play the game from a separate folder that you copy it into. That way Steam (or whatever) doesn't know about it and you're safe from interruption.

I'm not sure which mods are working or not, cause I reverted back to 1.7.3 as soon as I noticed it updated. However I did load the game in 1.8 and for some reason the main menu was unclickable, none of the buttons worked, they just had the hover/click anims but that's all.

It's caused by the Contract Config mod just FYI.

Edited by spritefun

33 minutes ago, BrianInAustin said:

The HUDs and VAB window in Kerbal Engineer Redux  are hosed.  I will miss these the most.  Its like flying blind after using them for a few at least a year

Yes, as has been observed, basically all mods with code in them will be horked. Just wait a bit for the various mod authors to update, is all. For most mods this should be very quick and easy (it certainly was for mine), so hopefully it won't take too long.

And of course, for heaven's sake, I'm sure we all know this already but please don't go pestering mod authors for updates in their mod threads. They'll be ready when they're ready, and jostling their elbows doesn't help. ;)

47 minutes ago, spritefun said:

I'm not sure which mods are working or not, cause I reverted back to 1.7.3 as soon as I noticed it updated. However I did load the game in 1.8 and for some reason the main menu was unclickable, none of the buttons worked, they just had the hover/click anims but that's all.

Is this due to the clickthroughblocker maybe? Couldn't think of any other mod that could cause this.

Are you running any mods at all that have code in them?

If so, are you running any that haven't been updated for 1.8 yet?

If so, it means that all bets are off and you're running the game at your own risk and there's no point in asking anyone for help or advice. Either run without mods, or wait for the mods to update for 1.8, or stick with KSP 1.7.3 until your mods are updated, are about your only options.

I have been focused on visual mods (Astronomer pack, IVA's, texture replacer, etc), and some other few mods for parts to complement stock ones, but not to much: ScanSat, TarsierspaceTech, HulCameras, Shuttle, launch bases, and others)

So i removed all mods and started to get the update if available for each one, the more important ones are already updated (modulemanager, mechjeb, EVE), and then i added one by one, and testing loading (Yes, this took me the whole afternoon), to get the ones that prevent the game to load.

What i found is that any mod depending on this next mod, will prevent the game to load:

Firespitter core or plugin (Even when appears already updated to 1.8 in CKAN)
Any other mod that use Firespitter or depend on it.

So, i lost my long time save, beacuse i was using a shuttle for my station, which was in space at that moment (Cormorant Aeronology, which use firespitter plugin)

Scatterer, KIS, KAS (The game will load with them, but are messed up, so are useless...).

Still i need to test the functionality of all of the mods able to load, but that will be task for another day...

Due to visual improvements freaking out, my KSC is currently appearing underwater.  This has spurred me into reviewing my lifestyle choices in order to avert rising sea levels due to climate change......

Joking aside, broken mods are just a part of a game constantly being updated.  I consider it a price worth paying and am just grateful to modders for their epic efforts.

Also - Climate change, rather than mods is definitely worth getting angry about.

TweakScale is also borking on KSP 1.8. But I'm unsure if it's KSP or Unity's fault - the only thing going kaput is the KSPField thingy, all the rest appears to work - you can even import a scaled craft from previous KSP and it works.

S.a.v.e. is also working fine on the spot, not even a recompile is needed.

I'm still researching the matter, I'll update you guys as soon as I realize what's really happening.

11 hours ago, zer0Kerbal said:

might be able to use this mod without FS.

I tried to load Cormorant Aeronology without firespitter, but the game stuck loading in "...serenity..." thingy...

I think this could be more complex than i thought, i guess interactions with modulemanager and other dlls, perhaps Firespitter is able to load without any other mod, i will test this this night, but removing this one makes must of my 40+ mods able to load...

Serenity is the last Expansion to be loaded before the Main Menu Scene.

So what happend is that something got stuck and prevented the Main Menu to start up .

Check the logs and the output_log.txt for any exceptions.

On 10/16/2019 at 1:47 PM, KSACheese said:

The ones that make me the most sad are Scatterer and Environmental Visual Enhancements. I tried loading the game up with them and it refused to load at all, unfortunately. Can't wait to see those updated, though.

I feel the same for the Gravity turn mod also the mech jeb mod.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.