[1.8] Textures issues at KSC in Linux release

I have the same issue. As far as I can tell it is indeed only the textures that are off, the game otherwise runs normal.

I'm running Ubuntu 18.04, also with the Steam version of KSP (with MH and BG). I have KAC as the only mod I'm running. In case it helps: a "Player.log" with me taking a "Bug-E Buggy" for a tour of the KSC can be found here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LPqTHHawv6Wav-RLjEUM0lEsnjEiqRqv and the corresponding KSP.log here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1aP4tUA_dPbshVNkRraHt34WlFQ5crAQt

Edited by AHHans

Incompetent and embarrassing are two words that come to mind. Why release a linux version at all if this is the best you can do? I'm thinking it would waste less time if I just run the windoze version through wine.

21 minutes ago, <noname> said:

Incompetent and embarrassing are two words that come to mind. Why release a linux version at all if this is the best you can do? I'm thinking it would waste less time if I just run the windoze version through wine.

If you are on Steam I can confirm the Windows version runs very well through Proton

10 hours ago, dnbattley said:

Did you use the command line installation of steam to force it to download that version, or is there an easier method?

In your games listing right click the game>properties. You will see a checkbox that says "Force the use of Steam Compatability tool," this will allow you to select Proton. I'm not sure if you can have a native install alongside a Proton install, maybe with some manual file moving.

I was about to note this in a post. I thought when I first saw it it was from some change to the Kerbal Base to add military camo as part of the version release. Finally got curious enough about it to look into it.

On 10/27/2019 at 4:22 AM, dnbattley said:

Did you use the command line installation of steam to force it to download that version, or is there an easier method?

As waxing kibbous said. The downside of doing this though is that you will have to launch the game through steam, so you can't have multiple installs like with the native version (you maybe able to add it as a non steam game, I haven't tried that)

Edited by severedsolo

55 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

As waxing kibbous said. The downside of doing this though is that you will have to launch the game through steam, so you can't have multiple installs like with the native version (you maybe able to add it as a non steam game, I haven't tried that)

I just tried this: changing over to the Windows-over-Proton version was a breeze, but there was a significant performance hit on my machine, for some reason. I've reverted back to the native version.

7 hours ago, dnbattley said:

I just tried this: changing over to the Windows-over-Proton version was a breeze, but there was a significant performance hit on my machine, for some reason. I've reverted back to the native version.

Yeah, this can happen- I've only played Borderlands 2 through Proton and it worked decent, there is a setting in the properties called "set launch options" where you can insert this: PROTON_USE_D9VK=1 %command%   I saw a bit better performance with this, less lag whenever some elements were first loaded, less cpu use. It's a lot of screwing around though to install and test random stuff, I'd stick to the native version for less drama (I played BL2 through Proton to play Coop with Windows users).

8 hours ago, dnbattley said:

It might be worth trying PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 %command% in your launch options

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/#runtime-config-options

Edited by severedsolo

• 2 months later...

This would appear to have been fixed in 1.8.1, although the bug report it still only marked at 10% complete.

In fact, from the readme.txt, under v1.8.1 Bugfixes:

"* Fix walk paths around Level 3 R&D building. This includes texture artifacts for the Linux version."

I think @nestor could mark Bug #23914 as complete for 1.8.1

On 1/5/2020 at 7:18 PM, Linkageless said:

This would appear to have been fixed in 1.8.1

It is indeed long since fixed, and so it is a little embarrassing to see this thread revived. I'm not sure if I can change the subject to [Solved], but thanks for taking the time to reply!

On 10/17/2019 at 5:12 AM, AHHans said:

I have the same issue. As far as I can tell it is indeed only the textures that are off, the game otherwise runs normal.

I'm running Ubuntu 18.04, also with the Steam version of KSP (with MH and BG). I have KAC as the only mod I'm running. In case it helps: a "Player.log" with me taking a "Bug-E Buggy" for a tour of the KSC can be found here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LPqTHHawv6Wav-RLjEUM0lEsnjEiqRqv and the corresponding KSP.log here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1aP4tUA_dPbshVNkRraHt34WlFQ5crAQt

Quick tip:  End your log files in ".log" to get them to view properly on Google drive. 

On 10/28/2019 at 2:38 PM, severedsolo said:

It might be worth trying PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 %command% in your launch options

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/#runtime-config-options

You shouldn't be using Proton to run KSP, it's a native Linux game, not a Windows game.

1 hour ago, Ruedii said:

Quick tip:  End your log files in ".log" to get them to view properly on Google drive. 

You shouldn't be using Proton to run KSP, it's a native Linux game, not a Windows game.

At the time this was written, there were numerous bugs in the Linux build and we were discussing whether proton was a viable alternative

As stated, the Linux version of 1.8.0 has quite a few issues.  A workaround for them was to run the Windows version in WINE/Proton.  Re-downloading the game would not fix anything, as the bugs were part of the game.

They were fixed with the 1.8.1 hotfix.  As such, locking this to avoid any further confusion.