Disable Stage UI auto-hide

How do I stop the staging UI from auto-hiding in flight mode?

Can't find any setting, and it's extra work to move the mouse to unhide it every time I want to see what comes next in a complex multi-stage launch.

Haven''t played in about a year and there seem to have been some changes to how the game works.

53 minutes ago, TanoPrime said:

Can't find any setting, and it's extra work to move the mouse to unhide it every time I want to see what comes next in a complex multi-stage launch.

Haven''t played in about a year and there seem to have been some changes to how the game works.

Same here with the 1.8 update the staging stack autohides when I dont want it to and requires redundant keypresses to stage which is kind of alarming given how sensitive the staging system is to over zealous use! It is also adding extra redundant keypresses in for chute activation. Sometimes takes three keypresses to get the chutes on the next stage to open.

Would be good if right clicking the staging icon locks the stage stack in place so it does not auto hide and responds immediately without redundant keypresses required. It also carries important information about stage dV so its useful for it to remain visible for that as well.

On 10/17/2019 at 9:33 AM, TanoPrime said:

On 10/17/2019 at 10:32 AM, boolybooly said:

Same here with the 1.8 update the staging stack autohides when I dont want it to and requires redundant keypresses to stage which is kind of alarming given how sensitive the staging system is to over zealous use! It is also adding extra redundant keypresses in for chute activation. Sometimes takes three keypresses to get the chutes on the next stage to open.

Would be good if right clicking the staging icon locks the stage stack in place so it does not auto hide and responds immediately without redundant keypresses required. It also carries important information about stage dV so its useful for it to remain visible for that as well.

Do either of you have any mods installed?  I am aware of at least one if not more mods which provided that functionality.

I haven't seen this in stock 1.8 

2 hours ago, Pecan said:

I'm with @Streetwind, never seen or heard of this before.  Is it a console thing, or are you using a staging mod?

On PC, using mods but none for staging, and none which would have had this auto-hiding effect in any previous KSP version.

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Do either of you have any mods installed?  I am aware of at least one if not more mods which provided that functionality.

To be fair I haven't booted stock 1.8, used ckan to install some of the mods that had been modified to work with 1.7.9.

37 minutes ago, TanoPrime said:

On PC, using mods but none for staging, and none which would have had this auto-hiding effect in any previous KSP version.

To be fair I haven't booted stock 1.8, used ckan to install some of the mods that had been modified to work with 1.7.9.

First remove all the mods, then see if it's a problem.  If it isn't, then add one at a time.

Also, virtually every mod which has DLL files will need to be updated, you will not get support  or sympathy if you use an older mod which hasn't been updated for 1.8.0

This is in the playfield and the map. Using the staging hotkey causes the staging icon stack to hide until the key is pressed again. You also have to press the stage key three times to start the first stage now because the first press unintuitively hides the stack, second brings it back and third activates the stage and hides the stack again.

FYI I dont have and have never had any mods on my KSP install, v1.8 via Steam, in OS Win7x64 on a PC. 

If you have not tried to launch a multistage rocket in 1.8 stock be advised this did not occur until after the 1.8 update with a fresh multistage launch in a 1.7 career gamesave and it also occurs in a fresh 1.8 sandbox game (recommend craft "Kerbal X" as a useful premade asparagus multistage tester) and the stack hiding looks like intended behaviour. But its not working very well and it would be nice to have a way to lock  it off.

I recommend other interested parties test their updated client before assuming this is abnormal, I think you will find it is the same for all of us now unless you have mods blocking it. :)

46 minutes ago, boolybooly said:

I recommend other interested parties test their updated client before assuming this is abnormal, I think you will find it is the same for all of us now unless you have mods blocking it.

Nope. I have played 100% stock 1.8 a lot these past couple days, and launched dozens of different missions, and at no point did the staging UI ever hide itself. In fact, if you asked me how to enable auto-hiding it, I would tell you "I did not know this was even possible".

It is true that in 1.8, there's a new feature that allows you to hide the staging UI via a clickable button on the interface. But a keybind? I just checked ingame: there is no such keybind. Not even an empty one that can be manually added - just straight up none.

We're going to need you to follow some systematic troubleshooting and reproduction steps.

1. Go to the Steam library folder and copy your savegame and your settings.cfg somewhere safe.
  2. Uninstall KSP via Steam.
  3. Delete the entire KSP folder, because the uninstall doesn't remove everything.
  4. Reinstall the game via Steam.
  5. Launch it. Do not modify your settings. Go straight to creating a new sandbox save with default settings.
  6. Grab a craft, any craft, and launch it. See if your issue reoccurs.
  7. If yes: shut down the game, go to %USERNAME%\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program, retrieve player.log and output_log.txt.
  8. Head over to the Technical Support (PC, unmodded installs) subforum with your logfiles in tow and write about your problem and the steps you have taken so far.
  9. If no: restore your old settings.cfg, and repeat the test.
  10. Does the error reoccur? Attach your settings.cfg when you write your problem report.
  11. If no: restore your old savegame, and repeat the test.
  12. Does the error reoccur? Attach your savegame when you write your problem report.
  13. If no: well, whatever it was, it's gone now. Happy playing!
Edited by Streetwind

9 hours ago, Streetwind said:

We're going to need you to follow some systematic troubleshooting and reproduction steps.

If i may add one more step to that good guide is to disable steam cloud saving.

Sometimes it causes problems even with clean installs.

Edited by Boyster

oh! I see now... :blush:

Having reinstalled and tested with default settings, the problem I was having is because I had already mapped the staging/launch hotkey to [insert] key which is also the new undocumented hard-coded and unexposed/unmodifiable hotkey to hide and reveal the staging stack! I cannot find it listed in settings anywhere, but it works even when staging is mapped to default [space].

Which I hope helps @TanoPrime as well.

So I guess this explains why it was not a universal experience then!

lol, I suppose the appropriate thing to request is exposing the stack hide key in settings so we can remap it... please :)

Edited by boolybooly
because I cant spell !

23 minutes ago, boolybooly said:

Hoorah and congratulations!

For the record, I don't think anyone was suggesting it didn't happen, we just couldn't understand why it happened.  Now we know; thanks :-)

19 minutes ago, Pecan said:

Hoorah and congratulations!

For the record, I don't think anyone was suggesting it didn't happen, we just couldn't understand why it happened.  Now we know; thanks :-)

Thanks, yes I was wrong to assume it would be the same for everyone else,  also somehow, I kid you not, the BB has erased my previous post which was not of my doing. I will endeavour to reconstruct it.  Oh wait, the post you quoted has moved to the top. I need to sort my sorting. Why does computerz hate me today?

PS dont try mapping staging to [delete] either, as that is the hard coded hotkey for the docking mode interface... *sigh*.

Edited by boolybooly

On 10/19/2019 at 1:52 PM, boolybooly said:

oh! I see now... :blush:

Having reinstalled and tested with default settings, the problem I was having is because I had already mapped the staging/launch hotkey to [insert] key which is also the new undocumented hard-coded and unexposed/unmodifiable hotkey to hide and reveal the staging stack! I cannot find it listed in settings anywhere, but it works even when staging is mapped to default [space].

Which I hope helps @TanoPrime as well.

lol, I suppose the appropriate thing to request is exposing the stack hide key in settings so we can remap it... please :)

Thank you for figuring it out, will try that if I go back to 1.8 at any point (downgraded to 1.6.1, most of my favourite mods are broken in 1.8 and even the stock version cleanly installed crashes at random moments).

On 10/18/2019 at 10:36 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

First remove all the mods, then see if it's a problem.  If it isn't, then add one at a time.

Also, virtually every mod which has DLL files will need to be updated, you will not get support  or sympathy if you use an older mod which hasn't been updated for 1.8.0

ckan had no mods openly listed as compatible with 1.8.
Was also not asking for sympathy or support, only knowledge sharing if someone had encountered the issue.

Post can be closed now.

Edited by TanoPrime

On 10/19/2019 at 12:22 PM, boolybooly said:

Oh wait, the post you quoted has moved to the top. I need to sort my sorting. Why does computerz hate me today?

Because of the answer-scoring thing on the left the forum sorts the most helpful replies to the top.  It makes sense for a pure Q&A forum but it means it's essential to quote the post you're replying to for any replies that aren't straight answers - like this one.

4 minutes ago, Pecan said:

Because of the answer-scoring thing on the left the forum sorts the most helpful replies to the top.  It makes sense for a pure Q&A forum but it means it's essential to quote the post you're replying to for any replies that aren't straight answers - like this one.

In addition, the vote-icon on the left is intended to “up-vote” the most-helpful answer, as you mentioned and not as the “like” button on the right. It seems that the two are being confused.

• 7 months later...
On 10/18/2019 at 12:00 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Which mods can you think of that does that?  I am having that problem now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.